Ancient items (new species)

Hi,

I was thinking what if there more types of ancient items that have different properties:

1. Imagine dead enemy dropping ancient primal, that is indicated as red colour. It has all stats fixed to the maximum. I got many of them over the years and I just look at them in the stash with tears in my eyes-I have so many of them and they have no purpose. So extremely hard to get, and so useless-now let’s fix this!
  2. Now imagine the enemy dropping another kind of ancient item that is giving you the ability to reroll 2 stats instead of one stat (for example we can call it royal ancient), as usual, but is indicated as blue colour (instead of red). Drop rate of royal ancient is the same as primal ancient. With this primal you can easily give it to another character you have and reroll strength stat in dexterity stat, for example. This is just basic idea that can be balanced and reworked. Many primals are useless because they do not fit in any build, but with this it will be better because they will fit maybe on another character, or make a nice boost in the existing build.
  3. Another type of ancient, for example, mythic ancient, that does not take space in inventory or stash; imagine that you can keep every mythic ancient you get because of this. Lets say that this ancient will be purple, with the same drop rate. I think this is a nice change because now you get few items like this, and after some time (after the end of the season or so) you find where this item fits the best (which build). So you can easily keep it without worrying about the space required (you keep all of them, that’s the point).

So, we can have more ancient types that have different useful properties, all indicated with different colours: (primal) max stats (red) , (royal) reroll +1 stat (blue), and (mythic) one that does not take space (purple).

I was thinking that you can give this ability to already existing primal ancients ( to give them the ability that they no longer take space in stash and inventory) but I think this is a better idea because you have more diversity, more interesting interactions and abilities with new items. Primal drop rate is very very small. With this thing it means you have three times better chances to get some special item. I think it would make the game better and the players will be much happier when they get something rare and useful.

After all, we can have more items like ramaldini’s gift that merge with equipment, changing something, improving. So we can have more different cubes that give these already mentioned properties to our ancient items, which is also a nice idea.

So, with this changes we are improving:

1. primals items are too RARE to be USELESS. When you find something that rare the game need to make them usefull (they need to be just like trump card in card games).

2. If you keep every primal you get, ACCUMULATION happens, which is very bad. I think that many players think as I do-feeling sorry to destroy something that rare and powerful. With this change ancient items (mythic) will find their purpuse over some time in some build, because they can wait as long as needed.

3. We are giving ancient items better chance to find their PURPOSE in some build instead of being destroyed or sitting in stash (royal ancient) because one extra stat can be rerolled which is extremely usefull in regards to other commmon items we mostly find.

4. We introduce something new and interesting to the game, also making the game more colorfull.

So, (in short) the main problems of primal are:

1. they are too rare,

2. often useless,

3. they accumulate taking too much space in stash.

Mentioned changes improve all said:

1. they drop more often,

2. we add more diversity with some nice properties, and

3. we are making them more usefull, or

4. just giving them opportunity to find purpuse in the future.

and 5- we dont destroy them any more- they are our trump cards and we love them when we get them. The game need to make players proud when they get them, but there is mentioned problem- they need (more) purpose!

Diablo community need to recognise what can be improved and they need to make suggestion how to improve things on forum. Then, community needs to get feedback from game developer and rework ideas, giving them balance. This is the general idea how game should evolve over time and get better. Without this mechanism games will fade over time and eventuly die. Game developers need to be more present at forums giving feedbacks so the games can improve over time.

If you have any more ideas, or just upgrade the existing ideas it would be very nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they’re useless they should be salvaged - with patch 2.7 there is a chance that a primal can be used on a follower.

This is called hoarding, i.e. you’re keeping useless stuff.

Think of all the legendaries and ancient legendaries you’ve ever had. Did you keep them? No, of course not, because if they were useless you salvaged them. Primals are no different. Even with maxed out affixes, that doesn’t stop the affixes being useless. A well-rolled ancient is better than a badly rolled primal, just as a well-rolled legendary can be better than a badly rolled ancient / primal.

Besides, with the exception of weaponry, primals are often only tiny upgrades over their ancient counterparts. It doesn’t matter that they’re rare. They’re supposed to be. The game’s about a loot hunt. The better your gear gets, the rarer the upgrades will occur. Blizzard don’t want you reaching the “end goal”, i.e. primals with ideal affixes in every slot because at that point you’re literally only grinding paragon, there is no more look hunt.

2 Likes