Bug resulting in death HC Seasonal

Being unfair is utterly irrelevant. When you made the HC character you accepted the terms that a death resulted from any cause will be permanent. Blizzard will not restore dead HC characters for any reason.

3 Likes

One thing: the greater rift levels and torment levels are not connected. So a GR level 100 in a game on normal isn’t going to be different from a GR 100 in hard, T1 or T16.
Apart from that there are bugs with certain monsters that are, or become, unkillable but can still attack you. There are also instances where monsters appear or remain after killing the rift guardian (porting to town or going to another map level and then returning will make these monsters disappear). There have also been reported a bug where the follower’s cheat death kicks in even when you have a shield pylon active!

2 Likes

In addition to the above… for future consideration:

The templar does not have the “Follower cannot die” relic – he most likely was already dead and therefore could not proc Guardian.

2 Likes

When playing HC one can lose a character to any cause outside one’s control. These can range from sudden desyncs happening at an inconvenient time to gravitational waves from merging black holes. That’s why the game asks you to accept the terms when creating a HC character. If you do not like these things, you should not play HC!

This is one of the biggest reasons, if not the biggest reason that I don’t play HC myself. Losing a character to my own stupidity alone is fine. But if something outside my direct control causes me to lose something permanently, that’s not acceptable.

2 Likes

I love encountering outer shielding juggernaut arcane frozen primordial scavenger type champions, with a horde of retinue. Especially when they shield as your dps is at its very short lived peak.

1 Like

You forgot to mention that they always have wormhole affix which the altar doesn’t negate. My wiz is constantly thrown around… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I forgot about that nice affix that throws us into disarray at the critical moment, and adds fun to the fight

2 Likes

I had the Templar Relic that has all the skills unlocked
And I used the cheat death in the talents.
1Min CD, procs at 15% HP

That’s not good in hardcore. All of his skills aren’t so useful that it’s worth it even in softcore or in hardcore in easy content. The only other relic that is worth using would be the cool down one. But even that is probably not good to use in hardcore.

1 Like

If you’re not using the immortality relic for the follower, you must stack tons of mitigation on it. Because if the follower goes down in combat, all its skills and emanating powers are temporary disabled.

Especially in HC it is best to use the immortality relic to ensure you have the cheat death available.

2 Likes

Put yourself in my shoes.
My Templar has all his abilities up and ready, we just killed the greater rift guardian.
We run away from the mob, giving us time to get all CDS in place.
My templar has a cheat death mechanic thx to his shoulders. He is using two legendary gems for more survivability and we are standing still trying to teleport back, thus his boots activate up to 40K Health regen per second. And he still has his heal.
He shouldn’t be able to do die from a single non-rare projectile.
And I stacked STR gems on him for his passive HP regen.
I’m using the stagger gem with the War Cry + HP + HP regen.

I have two cheat death mechanics, I just finished my second T16 with very little problems.
Yet for some reason, again, a single non-rare mob projectile off screen kills me.

A mob that shouldn’t even be there, because. Again I killed the Rift Guardian.

I’ve played my fair share of HC, and accepted all the deaths on my part, But I can’t accept this, because it makes no sense at all.
Everything were in my favor, yet a bug killed me, where are the people who is supposed to take a look at this, go:
“Well, Famol you’re not exactly correct, because this and that, but the mob is on us, we can restore you character for you, just be more aware next time, because we cant and won’t fix the bug, otherwise we’d done it back when it first got reported. See you in D4, where we hopefully won’t have this bug.”

Other than that I get people who defends this bug, due to a certain HC mindset.

This bug wouldn’t been tolerated in the WarCraft/Starcraft series, especially not in WoW.
Not in the biggest Steam games, not any Nintendo games and the list goes on.

Nobody is defending any bug. The comments about the templar and the terms and conditions about playing hardcore are more of a general nature.

What if you actually talked about the bug instead of playstyle.
Could maybe have gotten rid of it years ago.

Reading through your last couple of responses, you expect the clout that comes with hardcore, but don’t have the mind-set, attitude or temperament to handle it when you are set back and it goes wrong. I’ve seen players laugh off ridiculous deaths of characters in other games with 6 months of playtime invested into them. This is not as big a deal as you’re making it out to be. Stick to softcore.

“I was run over and killed by a car with defective breaks. I demand that God reinstate my life and roll back my existence to the day before.”

Sometimes life is not fair, you just deal with it.

You are warned well in advance that if your character dies for any reason, your fault or not, it will not be revived. It would completely go against the fundamental point of Hardcore Seasonal.

Bugs usually goes against the fundamentals of the game too.
They usually gets fixed. They shouldn’t stand in the way of the gameplay.
This one did.

We’re taking your word for that, do you have any recorded evidence or have been able to reproduce the bug since? Game-breaking bugs normally light these forums up like a Christmas Tree, yet there is silence.

Unfortunately I don’t have that.
I took one screenshot but the mob was out of the frame.
Closest thing is these two links

Quote from the last link:
" I have encountered it on multiple platforms with different classes as well. I play xbox,ps4,switch,pc. All have this issue happening 1 in 5 areas I go and more frequent with ww barb class."
That was posted in feb 20.

There are more, but I can only post two links at a time.

Edit: only 1 link got added apparently.

I know it’s a thing, I’ve experienced and overcame it. It was similar to blue goblins dying and not spawning their little goblins caused by the insanely damage numbers and the calculations being preformed by the server skipping a cycle, ie in this case not letting the game know the mob is dead, therefore it goes about it’s day, and the game getting glitched as a result. Experienced players don’t attempt to teleport on the spot or fight these, it’s more likely than not that you will die in a GR. Take some advice from the post you linked if you come across this again and run for the nearest entrance, then teleport out. I’d also recommend remaking the session as that instance now has a persistent bug. It’s software, demanding absolute perfection and not expecting the occasional bug is unrealistic, especially in something a trivial as entertainment.

There is a dedicated bug forum on the us website. Use that… but I’m sure some of what you have experienced has been reported several times over the years. Maybe it’s not fixable?? Who knows?
You just have to “live” with it(!) Even in hardcore.

1 Like