Can anyone give me advice on my vyr wiz?

I picked up the game a couple weeks before season 20 began and have put a decent amount of time into the game but still have a lot to learn in terms of making my build the best it can be. I made a WD before season 20 and hit a wall around GR80 and have hit a wall at around GR80 with my wiz again. Am I doing anything wrong or do I just need to continue grinding for better gear?

Thanks!

For some reason it shows that your cube weapon slot is empty so i am assuming that you use the Furnace there. Even if you are new player i am also assuming that you know of Kanai Cube usage and how to use Myriam, the artisan.

What i would propose first, is changing your rings.

1. Convention of elements. It will enhance your damage during the cold rotation up to three times.
  2. Obsidian ring. This is probably essential for this build to work since it allows you to reduce the cooldown of your spells each time you hit something with a resource spending attack. In your case the resource spending attack is arcane torrent. And your aim is to reduce the cooldown of Archon as much as possible so you can basically have it up for the whole duration of the Rift. Unless the weapon in the cube is the Messerschmidt’s Reaver then i would say obsidian ring is a must have. Alternatively, put Messerschmidt’s Reaver in the cube.
  3. Halo of Karini. Another no-brainer for most wizards. It can give you 80% damage reduction with storm armor activated. This is a gigantic toughness boost.
    Wear the 2 rings and put the third in the cube depending on what rolled with better stats. Note that obsidian rings always rolls with attack speed, critical chance, cooldown reduction and resource cost reduction so ideally you will put it in the cube and equip the other too.

That means that you also throw away the RIng of royal Grandeur so you have to wear all the 6 pieces of the Vyr’s set without the Crimson. And your belt should be Fazula’s Improbable Chain to help you start the archon form with more stacks.

This is not for the best, but If you absolutely want to play with Compass Rose and Traveler’s Pledge and don’t want to take them off no matter what, then go and Halo of Karini as your other ring and Obsidian ring in the cube. Again If you want to play with Crimson set no matter what. Then go with Squirt’s Neckclace (amulet) and Halo of Karini, Obsidian at the other slots. Again, i am emphasizing, this is not the best way to play the build.

I would also change the Shocking Asspect rune of Storm armor to Power of the storm so you can cast arcane torrents without worrying too much about the cost. Also instead of taking Blur as one of your passives it’s better to take Unstable Anomaly (cheat death passive) cause if you die you lose all of your stacks and you start from zero.

As for your gear and what affixes should be on them.

1. Helm. Intelligence, vitality, critical hit chance, socket with diamond
  2. Shoulders. Intelligence, cItality or armor, cooldown reduction, Area damage
  3. Torso. Intelligence, vitality, armor, 3 sockets with rubies or emeralds.
  4. Pants. Intelligence, vitality, armor, 2 sockets with rubies or emeralds.
  5. Wrists. Intelligence, vitality or armor, critical hit chance, cold damage.
  6. Hands. Critical hit damage, critical hit chance, attack speed, cooldown reduction. SInce it is hard to find gloves with all the ideal rolls, try to settle with 3 of them.
  7. Belt. Intelligence, vitality, armor, life.
  8. Boots. Intelligence, vitality, armor, all resistances.
  9. Rings. Critical hit chance, critical hit damage, sockets (obviously), cooldown reduction or if you cannot get it then intelligence. Attack speed would not be bad either.
  10. Amulet. Again, socket, critical hit chance, critical damage, cold damage.
  11. Damage, Intelligence, attack speed, cooldown reduction and socket with emerald.
  12. Off-hand. Damage, Intelligence, cooldown reduction, critical hit chance.

So far your gear is below average. You basically have pretty good gloves, and bracers and that’s all. You have unnecessary rolls like shock pulse damage, familiar damage and life regeneration. Try to replace them soon. Prioritize your torso, shoulder, pants, boots. I would keep the helmet. It is decent even if it rolled with life on hit instead of critical hit chance. Also your weapon and your off-hand are just legendary. There is a very noticable damage spike once you find an ancient weapon.

Gems. well here things are much more simple. Just make sure you have sockets in your rings and amulet. This is of huge importance. Your gems should be : Bane of the trapped (you deal more damage to enemies that are around you which are basically slowed all the time), Bane of the stricken (it stacks everytime you hit the boss and the damage increases everytime you hit them, so it is the Rift Guardian killing gem), Gogok of swiftness (you already have it)

As this is one of the strongest builds in the entire game currently, i am pretty sure you can do GR100 in a matter of few minutes, without any effort, after you get familiar with how Vyr works. There are 2 things important to keep in mind. Chantodo stacks and Archon stacks. Chantodo stacks up to 20 times when you hit with arcane torrent. Before going into archon, keep an eye for the icon and once it reaches 20 (max) then you should go into archon, getting the highest possible stack multiplier from the Chantodo. Do that every time. When archon form ends, repeat the same way. Cast arcane torrent to reach the 20 stacks and then go into archon again. Again and again and again. It is hard to go to 20 sometimes at the start of the rift but it is ok you can start with 10-15 stacks and it would not be the end of the world. Secondly, as for the archon stacks, everytime you are in archon and hit something it builds a stack so by the time the archon form ends you need to have the highest number of stacks you can possibly afford (realistically, you can hit 200 or something like that). Just try to play in a way where you dont waste your archon killing few and scarce enemies cause in that case you ll get very few stacks. The more stacks you have the more damage you deal and the less damage you take. Not only that, but due to area damage, having more enemies around you translates into dealing more damage. This is very common for wizards. With the help of the Swami ( the helm in the cube) these stacks last for up to 20 seconds, If you do everything right and have the necessary cooldown reduction, you can start your next archon as soon as previous ends, (and after building 20 chantodo stacks which will take like 2-3 seconds at max). So you can go into your second archon with all the stacks from the first.

I don’t know how well i explained it, since it is easier to see it in action, i would advise watching a youtube video for a guide to see how you should play. But in the end it all comes down to keeping these 2 stack multipliers as high as possible.
Also cooldown reduction is core for this build. You have 62% which is fantastic but without the obsidian ring of the zodiac, there is no way you can have archon ready all the time.

Other tips that i can give whether you are playing this particular build or any other in the game: Try to level up your legendary gems as soon as possible. Not a strict rule, but try to level them at around the same lvl as the Rift you are pushing. The augments (last recipee in the cube) can come later. Also if you feel like you are really lacking in the “toughness” department, you can sacrifice an offensive ring - in your case Convention of Elements- for a Unity ring, and give one to your follower along with the token that renders them unkillable. This basically means you will be taking half of the damage. But i don’t think this is really necessary in your case. Try and experiment with it if you like. Lastly open your character sheet and see your stats. Do not pay attention only to the damage. If you follow a guide, they always mention what your stats should be like what attack speed you need, what critical chance and damage, etc. There are other stats that are not calculated in your total damage sheet but nonetheless are very important like area damage. Every build has their own thresholds but general rule is 90% of the dps builds utilize the area damage mechanic after a point in GRs.

PS. Slightly off- topic but your witch doctor lacks 2 very essential items (Sacred Harvester and Lakumba’s Ornament).

Hope i helped. Have fun :slight_smile: