Crossplay PC/Consoles

Is there any actual reason there is no crossplay for D3?

I mean, sure, I can definitely agree that you have to buy the game twice - one for PC and one for, say, Playstation - but is there any actual reason for there to be no crossplay feature for Diablo 3?

If I make PC my “main” account and just have that copy-pasted over to my PS4/PS5 game, it should work switching between them, wouldnt it? I mean, Destiny 2 have that feature pretty well locked down now - anything played on one plattform carries over to the other in real time, why dont D3 have that same deal?

I would love to play D3 on my PC and later casually farm on my couch with PS5, without having to start the game over and play “another account”, which I need to do now if I want to play couch-D3. If I could take my current PC-characters to the couch, I’d be so all over the PS4/5-D3 version all the time.

Apparently D4 is going to have crossplay - so why is that not the case with D3?

Console has dodge-roll mechanics, the Nemesis system, couch co-op (i.e. offline play), lower mob spawn rates (the Curses! conquest is much harder on console for this very reason) and hero data is held locally (which is why things like Save Editors allow for cheating by amending gear / materials) rather than server-side.

3 Likes

Basically to make crossplay in D3 to happen, the console versions would have to be completely remade and every player would have to start from scratch. All due to the many reasons mentioned above.

D4 will be equal on all platforms in terms of gameplay mechanics and saves will be stored on servers only.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. That sucks a bit. Thanks!