Cube RNG and Primals

Rerolling a legendary item in the cube has been a real waste of time for me in the past 10 seasons.
Why must I spend 10 000 souls and all that bounty materials for gear that is always worse than what I have.
It seems like a pointless waste of time to reroll items if they will never be primal.
Supposed to be smartloot.
Why do some people get to play with full primals and others can’t even find one?
To get anywhere in this game, one has to revolve around people in other parts of the world for group play. Very inconveniencing to have game that relies on other people while solo players are unrewarded.

10,000 forgotten souls is enough for 200 reforges. Primals are roughly 1 in 400 (0.25%) legendaries. Let’s head on over to my trusty friend the Binomial Distribution Calculator and plug that in…

Number of events = 200
Probability of success per event = 0.25%
Probability of getting 1 or more successes = 4.883% (roughly 1 in 20)
Probability of getting 2 or more successes = 0.11524% (roughly 1 in 868)
Probability of getting 3 or more successes = 0.0017254% (roughly 1 in 57,958)

Take a look at my seasonal DH - TwentyOne - with around 43 hours played, mostly solo (did a few rounds of public bounties so I could use the cache-opening method for Avarice conquest) and she has three primals.

It’s entirely unsurprising that, with a drop rate as low as 0.25%, there can be wild short-term variances in the numbers of primals different players get. Simple rule is that the more legendaries you earn, the more chances of primals you get, so farm GRs at the highest level you can complete them in 3-4 minutes per run. At this stage of the season, that should probably be GR90-100, where you’ll get 12 legendaries per run. So, at 4 mins per run, 12 legendaries per run, that’s 180 legendaries per hour. So, on average, you’d expect a primal every few hours. That’s completely possible solo.

2 Likes

Meteorblade, you may post the same calculations 100 times but this won’t stop all those posts:

1. “Primal is bugged”. Yes only for you. We all get thousands of primals except for you. You are the only exception. The special one. The boy who lived.

2. “If I don’t get primals I quit”. What a loss to humankind. Proxy wars, pandemic, massive immigration, financial downturn, famine - all those pale in comparison with X player quitting a 8 year old game. How will we ever recover.

3. “So unfair for solo”. Yes. We know. We are aware. We are familiar with the concept.

Anyway, good luck with your quest of putting things into perspective. Next big step is actually convincing everyone how extremely unnecessary primals really are. Which takes us to

1. Yes, it’s that 2% improvement compared with a good ancient that will take you from gr 107 to 139. The final piece of the puzzle.
2 Likes

Heck, not only are they not essential, they’re also not necessarily better. Compare the chests on my Impale DHs… TwentyOne and Thwang. The ancient Thwang’s weaing is massively superior to the primal TwentyOne’s wearing (disregarding the Caldesann’s Despair disparity) due to the secondaries on the ancient. Effectively, the only way I’d swap out Thwang’s current ancient chest is if I got a primal one with exactly the same affixes.

Who cares about non-essential double damage reduction secondaries when you can have the holy trifecta of +16 dexterity, +24 vitality and +35% extra gold? Plus, it’s red!!!11!one!1

1 Like

The only thing that is a significant upgrade from ancient to primal can be a weapon because the base damage rolls with the maximum number. Otherwise yes, a good rolled ancient can be 3-4 paragon levels of worth lower that a good primal which is not a big deal.

Let’s use my seasonal DH as an example. She has 3 primals, 4 ancients and 6 standard legendaries. Let’s import her to www.d3planner.com

With her current gear… https://www.d3planner.com/935066024

Impale does

• Damage: 59,083,151,239
  • First Target Bonus: 5,908,315,123,896
  • DPS: 141,799,562,974

Turning every piece of her gear primal… https://www.d3planner.com/954244918

Impale does…

• Damage: 83,083,921,865
  • First Target Bonus: 8,308,392,186,473
  • DPS: 207,709,804,662

Damage going from 141,799,562,974 to 207,709,804,662 is roughly a 46% increase.

Each GR level increase gives the mobs 17% more HP, and it’s cumulative. So, turning her gear entirely primal would result in an increase of X GR ranks, based on this equation… (1.17)^X >= 1.46

(1.17)^2 = 1.3689
(1.17)^3 = 1.601613

This means that turning every single piece of her gear primal would result in an increase of less than 3 GRs. It’s way more important to first concentrate on getting ancients with the right affixes than worry about red borders on stuff.

1 Like

My point is that reforging a legendary is pointless, because all a person would want from a reforge is a primal. Even ancients are not easy on the cube.
The cube takes in game resources, so it should have a better chance of getting a primal.
Why have it if the primal never happens? I can’t work for a living and play without sleep. Is this a game for those in their mother’s basement?
Talking about legendaries per hour like it’s game wage is silly.
Also ALEX, don’t talk to me as if you know me. Don’t bring real life issues into my post. Learn to read, your response says you are illiterate. Your stupidity is a liability for others in real life. It wastes time to keep teaching you manners.
Be careful, people around have a GoD complex, you never know who you’re talking to and what they’re capable of doing with words.

Where exactly do I mention you?

I did not respond to you in any way or form

Thanks!

When did you ever teach me manners?

GoD? A Gears of Dreadlands complex? Is that in ICD-10? Also, was that a threat?

Well, your point is wrong then.

Nope. In early gearing they may have a standard legendary, and they’ll reforge a spare of the same legendary, hoping to get an ancient version as, not only will it have higher affix ranges (especially useful if it’s a weapon) but they can also take a Caldesann’s Despair augment. Ancients are 1 in 10 legendaries, so your chances of getting an ancient from reforging are massively better than getting a primal. Go back to the poster that had enough materials for 200 reforges and the Binomial Distribution Calculator

Number of events = 200
Probability of success per event = 10%

Probability of getting 1 or more successes = 100%
Probability of getting 5 or more successes = 100%
Probability of getting 10 or more successes = 99.65%
Probability of getting 15 or more successes = 90.7%
Probability of getting 20 or more successes = 53.45%
Probability of getting 25 or more successes = 14.49%
Probability of getting 30 or more successes = 1.6327

Seems fine to me.

1 Like

Good info there. I have many armor slots (helm, torso, pants etc ) for many builds that are ancient and have 640 dex for example and 630 vit. That’s 2 + 4 paragons lower than a primal that would roll 650 and 650 respectively, which if you look at the big picture it’s not a a big deal. Jewels can also roll 50% CHD and 6% CHC for example a lot of times as ancients and since you want the third to be something like attack speed or area damage or CDR in many builds an ancient can be exactly the same as a primals. Obviously I am not talking about correct rolls that is necessary to make any comparison. Even if it is just a legendary which happened to roll every desirable affix with maximum (or close to maximum) number, I consider it good item and I keep it for a big portion of the season. It will still be a weaker item if you take augments into consideration, but still. Quad gloves for example or amulets are very hard to get so you can settle for good legendaries until you find something better.

Also, and this is no disrespect intended to the op, you usually don’t want to do many reforges early or mid season, given how expensive the cost is. Let’s say that you truly want to hunt primals and let’s accept that 1 in 400 to 500 items is a primal. That is 2000-2500 bounty materials and 2500 forgotten souls per primal on average. Still no one can guarantee that you find one even then. For all we know you may as well need 1000 reforges. So what I usually do is play the game for like 2/3 of the season and let the rng decide what I find in rifts, greater rifts etc. Then much later I will take a look and decide in which slots I am weak and only then I will try to fill the gaps with reforges. I think it’s so much more efficient this way because you don’t know what the game will drop you in the next rift and many mats will go to waste. Also make peace with the fact that there is always a chance that you won’t find what you’re looking for just as there is a chance in the next season to find godly gear. That’s the beauty of it.

Good post, just a minor correction: 500 reforges are 25000 souls, not 2500. The cost for season is very high and as you said, not guaranteed and even if you get it it’s likely to be trash. If primals allowed two rerolls that would increase their value.

2 Likes

You’re the poster that looks for faults in what people say. You have some sort of superiority complex because you have a love for numbers.
Why don’t you check the words and learn to read people instead.
I am a human, not a machine. I have other priorities I cannot play this game on the numbers you produce on your LCD screen for eyeballs.
Please compute reality for those who are not AI.

What I get when I read your posts is that you’re upset that maths doesn’t care about your feelings, and you think how upset you are at not getting primals should affect the drop rate.

How did I do?

Please stop embarrassing yourself. :crazy_face:

That’s right, my fault. Yeah 25000 forgotten souls is another big time investment. So there is one more reason to be somewhat frugal with how you spend them. I guess it gives some incentive to hunt for them, I mean personally I still do it for my favorite builds from time to time, but they are overrated at some extension.

Yeah except the very top of leader boards are not players fully decked out in primals. Not sure about this season but last season the number 1 DH and I believe number 1 overall player who also had as far as I remember top 10 or something with every single class had 2 primals equipped in total. Go check the leader boards and you will see it is not all about primals.

Point being that it is not about getting primals everywhere as they are not always the best item, sometimes someone finds a primal and it is worse than the ancient they currently have equipped. And more importantly if we are talking about someone who doesn’t play all that much there is still room to grow with ancients so you are not even at the point where that perfect item is what you need to improve. Just like a huge amount of players. I am included in this so no need to go on about people with no lives who can play 8 hours a day and have no jobs.

@ BlitzedKreig
Dude, first of all, don’t be rude and call people stupid if you want to have productive conversation. Second, it’s RNG based game. You asking why do others have stuff and you don’t is as if you’re sulking because others won the lottery and you haven’t.

I work full time and play more only on weekends and recent holidays. I got 20 primals, and 3 of them were from Kadala. I got 4 usable ones and the rest is shit. But I played a lot of GRs. You have much better chances for a drop than to craft one.

One has to be smart with their upgrades. Looking at your seasonal DH, you already have almost maxed out weapons. A primal weapon would provide less than 5% of an improvement, whereas rolling 15% Hungering Arrow on your belt would be a much bigger upgrade.
Also, the reason we don’t roll 15% Strafe on boots etc. is because (repeat after me) “Strafe does 0 damage”. Strafe is the means to get more Hungering Arrows out, it does not benefit from any multipliers, set or otherwise.
Don’t believe me? Remove Hungering Arrow from your skill bar (or one of your set pieces) and try to cause some damage with just strafe. Ze-ro.

Primals are for people who got to a certain point where nothing else can be considered an upgrade. You, along with many other people complaining about Primals while having bad gear equipped, are a long way from that and you would benefit more from playing the game, than chasing the primal dream.

3 Likes