Development Hell

Have been farming it off and on for two weeks now (season, non-season, adventure mode, campaign, Normal, TI, TII, TXII.) On hardcore, saw it early August, before the NPC name changes from Activision. Has anyone seen it since the start of September, or more specifically, in the last two weeks?

1 Like

I see it occasionally when I hunt goblins. It seems to spawn in around 1/100 - 1/150 games.

But to your point, I saw it sometime in the past 2-3 weeks.

1 Like

Thank you. Hopefully, will not have to run another thousand.

1 Like

I am making a few runs right now, since I am bored. I will post a screenshot if I get it.

1 Like
  1. Start game.
  2. Teleport to Act I, Cemetary of the Forsaken.
  3. Check the 4 crypt entrances, three of which will always be ā€œDefiled Cryptā€
  4. If 4th crypt entrance is a solid, blocked door, teleport back to town, leave game, re-make game.
  5. If 4th crypt entrance is open, itā€™s ā€œDevelopment Hellā€. Enter, kill mobs, get achievement and sword transmogs. Profit!

Including exiting / restarting games, each check for this should take no more than 60-90 seconds.

2 Likes

I saw one this morning.

I didnā€™t take a screenshot because I didnā€™t see this topicā€¦

1 Like

I offered to give him my 2 weapons, or to help him farm for it, but he wants to farm all the xmog items SSF in each game mode, and on all servers.

He already has the xmogs and the achievement from getting them in HC, but he wants to get the physical items again, and on his own with no help.

Seems like a tortuous goal with no benefits, but I donā€™t judge. Play however makes you happy.

2 Likes

Further testing in Europe region, campaign mode, TXII by chicken WD.
1000 runs of SC seasonal.
1000 runs of SC nonseason.
1000 runs of HC seasonal.
Done in campaign mode due to majority of prethread farming done in adventure mode.
Zero appearances of Dev. Hell.
Does anyone know if reinstalling D3 resets anything under the Options menu? Will probably do that if the upcoming patch does not clear up the problem.
Suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi:

Reinstalling D3 will reset the Video and Sound options under that menu, but these have no effect on RNG. You can achieve the same thing by quitting Diablo III and deleting the D3Prefs.txt file in your Documents\Diablo III folder. (the file gets created again when you launch D3 the next time)

Whether or not the Development Hell event spawns is determined by the software running on Blizzardā€™s serversā€¦ there is nothing you can do to affect that. All you can do is to check whether it spawned and, if not, remake the game and try again.

The last time I actively searched for and found that dungeon was on 13 July 2021 in Season 23, and I was playing Adventure mode on Torment XVI and on Hardcore.

Best of luck in your games !

===========================================================================================

2 Likes

Thank you.
From what information I could find, it spawns at 1 in 100 to 1 in 150 games. At 1%, failing on 3000 runs is a 1 in trillions chance, so I was thinking more software issue than RNG. At 1 in 150, it improves to 1 in 500 million odds.

1 Like

Itā€™s random, thereā€™s no solution other than keep doing it until it spawns.

2 Likes

Did you find it in the meantime?
Iā€˜m on Europe as well and not finding it over hundreds and hundreds of games in different game modesā€¦
Am I just unlucky or is there a bug?

1 Like

Not yet. This season I have been concentrating on Americas HC, checking at the start of each game, with no luck.
There is a similar topic about the Smash Jay Smash achievement on the Americas forum where someone said they found it so it looks like really bad rng for both of us.

1 Like

Okay, thx a lot for the update! Iā€˜ll tell you, if I ever find itā€¦

1 Like

I usually hunt for development hell every season (I love the Rancor xmog) and havenā€™t found it this season (26) or last season (25) after hundreds of runs in each. I might have skipped season 24, since there were the ethereal weapons to go after and use. I have never had an issue finding development hell in previous seasons, never even having to try campaign mode like I have to find Regreb (for the King Maker xmog).

My concern is it was removed in the last 6 months due to the ongoing Activision/Blizzard saga. Iā€™d appreciate it if someone could either confirm if theyā€™ve found it during this season (or last season), or if someone could confirm if it was removed (blue post possibly?). Thanks!

1 Like

Season 25 summary: conservative estimate, over 5000 games started meaning over 5000 times I checked for development hell. The biggest culprits were farming the Butcher-Leoric in January for gems (a full stack of imperials and 100+ flawless royals of each type at season end) and farming Wirtā€™s Original Leg (118 Bishibosh? with no luck.)
I believe development hell has been removed from the game but would love to be proved wrong by a photo from season 25 or later. Until then back to farming WOLs.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve given up on development hell, sometime during season 26. Anyone else found it since season 25 or later?

1 Like

I believe it has been removed from the game as well as the boss, Josh Mosqueira.

They did this around the time there was a scandal at Blizzard and they decided to remove all names of actual people from the game.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take this as a blue post. Hooked up with Vita back in the day. He had all the lootz! (transmogs) :blush: