Diablo IV - feedback

Hi,

first of all thank you for reading this and considering it as a constructive feedback.

It is very early to make a feedback about aesthetics of Diablo 4 but generally I guess that there is nothing to criticize about it. It feels dark and gloomy - this is “Diablo”.

Since my feedback isn’t about the aesthetics I would like to pin point one thing - Druid’s wolves. I wish we could distinguished them from one to another - color, shape etc. It would feel more immersive … like that Druid might have a stronger bond with them and so does a player.

Let’s start with something I’ve noticed.
BlizzCon 2006 vs BlizzCon 2019
If you play this demo of Diablo 3 and compare it to the latest of Diablo 4 you’ll see some resemblance. Like climbing ladders, runes, huge monster for a group of players to slay, toned down effects, slower paced gameplay.
I wonder how much will be Diablo 4 different when it arrives.
If I compare Diablo 3 from 2006 and the final product I see a game which feels like Diablo (2006) and some generic arcade chaotic butterfly with cheesy lines (final product).

  1. Gameplay
    Less is sometimes better. Quality over quantity.
    I understand that it is a business and mostly (not everyone) younger players want from Diablo 4 to be fast paced, full of bzillions of damage numbers, full of effects, and most of all … quickly rewarding.
    Actually the opposite of what I’ve said have had Diablo 2 made a cult.
    Slower
    That means no monster on every corner.
    Density
    It goes with a slower gameplay. It is fine time to time face a bunch of monsters but on the other hand it feels like you are really playing an arcade game. Action does not have to be constant.
    Arcade vs. Survival
    I am not saying D1 nor D2 were a survival games but you definitely felt like someone who was alone and was a little bit afraid what was waiting in front of him.
    Effects
    In Diablo 3 after a couple of levels you’ll see … nothing. Just bright colors of effects, floating numbers (If we go with it toggled on as game was intended), hordes of monsters and a feeling of an arcade game.
    Reward
    Less of items from monsters. Less chances of a rarest drops. Less chances means more replayability otherwise there is nothing to look forward to. Simple psychology. Life is hard and that is why it is functional.

  2. Story
    When I played Starcraft 2 I was shocked how immersive the story was. From narrative perspective (even though it wasn’t much original but still a a good archetype) to psychology of characters and their motives which in-game cinematics pulled out greatly. I was shocked even more when ARPG game like Diablo 3 had nothing of immersive story telling like SC2 which was only a realtime-strategy. Which says nothing (RTS can have a great story telling) but I did not expect a better story in SC2.
    So this time … please … no cheesy lines like
    “Leah must be back in Tristram crying over the old man’s corpse. She’ll have another one to cry over—yours. Meet … the Butcher.”
    Yeah … the budget of at least $90 mil definitely went somewhere else than screenplay.

Thank you for reading it and I wish to creative team more creative freedom from executives:)

Good luck.