Difficulty question

Hi,

I’m new here, coming very late to the game.
I just defeated Diablo with no sweat on hard, his dmg couldn’t deal with my regen. Now, in RoS, I found item that set monk’s sweeping wind into infinity loop with boosted dmg and I don’t need to click buttons anymore.
Used potion once, never died, first ever playthrough.
No grind, no builds just having some quick though on gear.

It supposed to be so easy?

Regards

Change the difficulty until you find the right setting for your power level.

On main character screen at start, Click game settings and when the box opens up, the difficulty setting is on the right - The higher you go the better the rewards, exp ect all scale up :smiley:

Thanks! But I only can lower difficulty right now.

If you pressing escape from in a game you can only lower. Exit to menu and change before you hit start game. You should have access upto Torment 6

Long Version
The game is significantly easier these days than at initial release. For your very first play-through, on your very first hero, you’re restricted as to which difficulty levels you have access to…

https://eu.diablo3.com/en-us/game/guide/gameplay/game-difficulty

Requirement Difficulties Available
Create a hero Normal, Hard, Expert
Complete Campaign Normal, Hard, Expert, Master
Level 60 Hero Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, Torment 1-6
Level 70 Hero Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, Torment 1-16

Switch to Master as soon as you’ve completed the Campaign (killing the end boss in Act V) and change over to Adventure Mode, as that grants a lot more XP than Campaign Mode. As soon as you reach level 60, change it up to a Torment difficulty. Once you reach level 70, you’ll definitely find a difficulty at which mobs will one-shot you as soon as they look at you. Level 70 / Adventure Mode also gives you access to Greater Rifts and they will absolutely provide you with a solid challenge for a long, long time.

If you absolutely want a tough challenge the entire levelling process, you can achieve this if you’re willing to ask nicely in the in-game General Chat channel. Ask for an existing level 70 hero to create a Torment 6 Campaign Mode game and invite you to their group. The level 70 leaves the group, leaving you behind in a Torment 6 difficulty Campaign game. (Torment 6 is the highest difficulty a non-70 can join).

Short version
It’ll get more difficult soon.

1 Like

You can increase the difficulty but not in game. Close the game then start a new game and set the difficulty level from the start screen

Thank you all for the answers and help.

I’ll increase difficulty for sure, idk if now or on my next run though.

All in all it feels so inappropriate. It should be one “real” difficulty from the start for those who want beat the game just once and have a bit of challenge and Hard feels like Very Easy in most games. Love the game don’t get me wrong.

When D3 first came out the character could only get to level 60 - there was a big jump in equipment at level 50. There was only campaign mode available as well. Players would repeat parts of the campaign over and over again. The Mystic did not exist either same with Kanai’s Cube. At that time the loot that was dropped wasn’t good - also with crafting certain items you had to collect item specific crafting materials and even then the drop wasn’t guaranteed. There were two auction houses where you could use dubloons or real money to bid for items (since removed).

Loot 2.0 was introduced (before RoS?) and the drops improved a lot.

When RoS was released the character level was increased to 70. I think the Adventure Mode was added so Bounties and Rifts appeared around then. Other things were also introduced - legendry gems comes to mind as does paragon.

With Kanai’s cube you can augment gear to make you character even stronger.

At the moment once you are geared up Tier XVI can be very easy - so Bounties and Rifts can be changed into speed farming. The real challenge is Greater Rifts.

Stick to Adventure mode - once you’ve done the campaign you don’t need to re-do it unless it’s for some of the achievements (some of which are hard due to how infrequently they appear- some achievements I only did in adventure mode).

The problem with the campaign difficulty for new players has been around for a long time. When D3 first came out it really made sense to limit what players could try as it really was a challenge even at the lower difficulty levels.

1 Like

Back in RoS launch days the game was still reasonably challenging. There was no absurd power creep provided the items making everything a cakewalk. Gradually more and more power was added to the items, making the game easier and easier. Then came new difficulty levels. Then more power. Then more difficulty levels. Then more power.

Now the first playthroughs give new players the wrong impression of the challenge. Essentially the entire campaign mode is now just a one big tutorial. The real challenge comes in GRs.

1 Like

When I started on d3 in 2014 there were no ancient items no kanai cube
I recall the top of the world leaderboards was tier 38

Back when the GRs were first introduced, that was roughly the max power level. Up to GR40 at most which is about Torment 9 level. Even that I think was achievable by cheesing the GR with autofiring Marauder turrets.

So yeah, the power creep has been substantial since.

1 Like

If you progress enough, and reach a point where you have a full set (6 items), as well as the other 7 items that you wear (13 in total), 3 more in the cube and 3 legendary gems socketed in your rings and amulets, one shotting bosses even in torment 16 is very common. Then the real challenge is in greater rifts which increase the health of the enemies exponentially as you increase the level of the rift. The GR can start from lvl 1 and go up to lvl 150 whith is the max lvl currently. A GR75 is equivalent of torment 16. Still, most sets and builds can perform adequately up to GR 100 without too much effort and paragons. But remember, when you clear a GR100, and then going to GR 105, for example, that’s almost like doubling the difficulty.

OK, so I changed difficulty to Master and it feels great. First time I need to run and avoid AoE, think about the skills and gear much more and use potion as panic button. Battle lasts and Bosses can end their sentences.
Yet it starts to be a bit easy again after several hours in but still challenging.

I feel a little robbed of 3 acts of the game but maybe I should start to increase difficulty earlier - just after Act 1. Had no idea.
Definitely description of the difficulties are so misleading!

I see from your armoury page that your monk - Tusewen - is now level 70. At this point, if you’re capable of surviving it, you should increase the difficulty to Torment 1, as that’s the lowest difficulty at which set items drop. Your first priority is to get yourself a full six-piece armour set with some associated legendary items / weapons.

You may find this helpful in that regard…

Whilst some of the advice in there is specific to seasonal heroes (e.g. the whole stuff about season journey / haedrig’s gifts) the rest of it is relevant.

Good luck.

1 Like

Don’t worry about that too much. The campaign is just for the story and to get familiar with some characters and NPCs in towns. The real game starts in adventure mode, once you finish the campaign and start the end-game phase. There are three main pillars of the end - game, normal rifts, greater rifts, and bounties. You can access all of them through adventure mode and you can manipulate the difficulty according to your builds strength, guality of items, etc…

1 Like

I’d suggest starting a new character and making it a seasonal one - there are benefits such as Haedrig’s Gift which will get you a set piece in three stages. The set piece changes for each season and there is only one set per account per season.

1 Like

Last one thing.

I started season hardcore character in adventure mode but it seams that highest difficulty I can choose is Master - Hardcore characters reset difficulties?
Previously I created regular season DH in AM and I could choose Torment 1.

Yes, the difficulties you have unlocked are specific to the game mode, i.e. if you want to be able to immediately play at up to T6 on a fresh seasonal HC hero, you need to have previously completed the campaign and reached level 70 on a HC hero. Access to Adventure Mode is also mode-specific, i.e. non-seasonal HC heroes will only have access to it if you’ve killed Malthaeal in HC.

3 Likes

Update after a while.

So I beat the campaign on HC and had a fun run on HC season adventure - I reached Slayer and then on Torment X I entered Infernal Machine portal which ended my journey. I regret nothing.

Yet it felt somewhat ridiculous - just whirlwinding through the rifts and everything died in seconds on T7 then I died in half a second on T10.