Enough with the armour set dungeons

Every season I play I have a terrible time doing the armour set dungeon requirement. Gameplay wise it is a complete departure from all the reasons I play and enjoy Diablo. I’ve no problem with it being in the game, I have a huge problem with being asked to do it for season progression. Repeating the same ridiculous thing, getting tripped up by ludicrous abstract conditions, getting cornered out of my own build and into an obscure niche one, and playing the game at somebody else’s pace, on somebody else’s whim. If this was Diablo I wouldn’t play it, so why do I have to engage in this at all? Could there ever be a good enough reason? I can’t think of one.

3 Likes
  1. It’s needed for Conqueror, which unlocks extra Stash tabs
  2. It’s needed for Guardian, which unlocks extra cosmetics, e.g. pet / portrait

If you don’t care about the cosmetics, and/or you’ve already unlocked all 5 stash tabs that can be gotten this way, then you could safely ignore the Season Journey after Chapters II, III and IV give you your free Haedrig’s set.

Having said that, whilst you’re playing the season, you’ll be finding all the pieces of all the set armours for your hero’s class anyway, and every single class has an incredibly easy set dungeon available so, if this is the only stumbling block, it’s not hard to overcome.

For example, my current go-to is the Barb’s Immortal King dungeon. Use 6 pieces of the armour, BK swords, with a WW/Rend setup and COTA. Enter dungeon, enable COTA and WOTB, spin through the dungeon whilst everything dies, refreshing WOTB as necessary, and in under 90 seconds I have the mastery. As I usually play WW/Rend anyway, this requires me just to change over the armour pieces from Wastes to IK, and swap one skill to COTA, but it plays exactly like my standard WW/Rend build, with zero nerfing required.

2 Likes

Just get Rathma’s set - it’s ridiculously straightforward

I too dislike the set dungeons and find them unnecessary. The only thing saving them for the seasons is that each and every class do have one ridiculously easy set dungeon. Meteor’s reply is a pretty perfect example of that. All classes also have one (or more) ridiculously hard set dungeons though. For example: I still truly hate the Barbarian Wastes set dungeon. It’s freaking awful.

1 Like

Honestly, this was by far the hardest for me… That and Ulianna. When i went for wings of mastery, these two dungeons took me 50 tries to master while everything else in the game took me from 1 to 3-4 tries. The easiest way that i 've found was to “cheese” it with high dodge chance and miss chance on enemies by blind, i could at least take my focus from the annoying “don’t get hit by physical”. For some other dungeons that sound tough on paper, having an immunity amulet helps tremendously.

1 Like

Yeah, a melee hero in a dungeon where one of the criteria is to not get physically hit.
Having said that, I got the Wastes dungeon mastery before I managed MOTE.

1 Like

Waah mommy I have to adapt my build to complete a CHALLENGE. I can’t just breeze through doing whatever I want??? Why does this game require me to think or make any effort? I just want to faceroll and get all the rewards for free!!

Grow up, jesus christ. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to do the set dungeon, you only ‘have to’ do one for the Conqueror, and there are plenty to choose from that are completely braindead. God some people are truly just entitled whiny brats.

1 Like

No reason to be that aggressive. The code of conduct is available here:

1 Like

I wasn’t aggressive, I was snide. And the “reason” is because these people complain about things for which there are very easy solutions. Don’t like set dungeons? Have u tried not doing them instead of complaining on the forums?

And the other thread was a guy pretending he wants advice, and when they sent him a link to a step-by-step guide, he said nobody cares to help him. You can lead a horse to water…

I’ve completed mastery on every single one of them and think that whilst the idea may have been sound, the implementation absolutely sucks. It’s unsurprising that people complain about something where to complete it you have to make your hero less effective, do less damage, unequip gear so you don’t kill things too quickly / before you can group them up. It’s counter-intuitive in a game which is all about gear progression and your hero getting more powerful all the time.

If people want the stash tab from Conqueror, or the cosmetics from Guardian, they don’t have a choice other than to do this nonsense. People might do so, but almost no-one enjoys them, and that’s why people complain about them.

They’re valid complaints.

3 Likes

I dont bother. The quests are quite a farce. “Kill 276 white mobs in less than 2 minutes, but not more than 12 monsters in one shot, or less than 10 in one shot, in order of ugliest to cutest, making sure the cute ones get it good”

1 Like

Guys, chill. Every class has a very easy way to complete this seasonal quest. Some of them literally just require from you to walk around and use 1 or 2 buttons here and there. To get the mastery wings? Yes that’s a pain. But surely you can farm 6 set pieces, a couple of weapons and an offhand, 2-3 rings / amulets, and press your buttons for 3 minutes once every 5 months to do this quest…I 'd say only the monk requires some rework here to make 1 of the 4 sets as easy as the rest of the classes.

I know! But i like to go full force and smash to smithereens everything on the screen

Then do the Barb’s IK dungeon, but in a WW/Rend build. 6 pieces of IK armour, BK weapons, spin your way through the entire dungeon with COTA and WOTB active, and you’ll have mastery in under 90 seconds. No requirement to drop your damage at all.

2 Likes

I agree with the OP, I like the cosmetics, and want to “finish” the seasons. But I really hate the requirement for the set dungeons. I don’t care for the statement that there are easy ones in each class, or that there are walk throughs available. I know that, doesn’t change that they are not fun to do. Snide comments that complain about other people “complaining” discredits your own position. The point of the comment on a forum is to create conversation, hopefully with a dev.
Would be great if the seasons did not require it.

In a conversation you may find people that disagree with your point of view. I don’t enjoy the set dungeons either but they’re no more than 90 seconds of a three to four month season to me, so I don’t fret about them too much. Heck, I even mastered every single one of them for the achievements / wings so I know full well which ones are incredibly easy and which ones I’d never set foot in again.

If you’re hoping for a blue response on the EU forums you may as well be spitting into the wind for all the good it’ll do you. Take a look at the Blizz Tracker for the EU General Discussion forum. The new forums went live almost two years ago now and in that time we’ve had a grand total of 15 blue posts, almost all of which were announcement posts. Heck, take a look at the top of the forum. We still have a sticky for the start of Season 21 which was in June 2020. Not only did they not un-sticky this at the end of Season 21, they didn’t post a sticky for the start of Season 22, or the current Season 23. The EU forums are, quite simply, abandoned by Blizzard.

If you want a post to be noticed, and possibly interacted with by a blue, you’re much better off posting it to the US General Discussion forum, where there’s way, way more traffic. Having said that, this subject regularly comes up, and the devs have made absolutely no indication that they’ll change this task requirement. Indeed, as the tasks have been in the journey for years now, it’s highly unlikely they ever will.

2 Likes

I was wondering about that sticky too
I was beginning to think I might be caught in a time warp