GR progression on current build

I am currently running GR60 “comfortably” at at about 6 mins but I cannot do much better, or at all. I have 568 Paragons, all the necessary gear, and from now on it is just ancient gear, or more optimised stats and more paragon points. I am not sure how many more GR levels some extra Paragons will buy me. Have I therefore approached the limits of this build ? I am running Unhallowed Necromancer.

My build is here https://www.d3planner.com/680609263

Look at the guides from players like icy veins and guides you can find on youtube by searching something like: diablo inarius build… (just check that the videos are not too old and outdated). Be sure to check the details in the guides because usually it’s not enough just to have the items and skills and passives etc.
I’m sure you can find videos that show how to breeze through GR 70+ with low paragon points… and once you do that you’ll quickly gain lots of points.

Have you given up playing barbarian?

Hi thanks for the comments. Yes I have looked on icy-veins and have read about the build and have tried it dozens of times, currently managing to do GR60. What the guildes are generally missing is a gear level vs GR level table to know when you’ve reached the build’s limits.

I have also levelled a DH and he’s got all the gear except the Dawn crossbow and one ring, and his damage is phenomenal, but he can be one shotted. Whereas the Necro is like a tank, more or less, one you’ve built the 15 Bone Armour stacks you are good to go.

I gave up on the Barb looking for something “easier” to play, the Barb needs to click, and so does the DH, but I do not need to click with the Necro :slight_smile:

Oh, boy! With the changes to Whirlwind in 2.6.7 that’s such a mistake.

That could be your problem when trying to go higher. If you’re using a “lazy” build or a lazy playstyle the rewards tend to be smaller.

I checked my Seasonal Barb again, I am missing at least 3 Waste pieces. But I will make an effort…

All it takes is 100 bloodshards and a visit to the PTR vendor…

PTR: Bag of Fortune - contains full Wastes set and changed legendaries
PTR: Weapons Pack - contains lots of weapons, including BK swords

This is so I play on the PTR just to get a taste? Or does the PTR overlap with retail somehow?

PTR is just for testing what is in Patch 2.6.7 and the Season 19 theme.
Nothing obtained on the PTR comes back to live.

Just made a PTR WW barb. Looks amazing! And it seems that there are several possible variations on which rune you choose.
I can see that Rend is on the skill bar (mouse left) and usually with the Bloodbath rune but I haven’t quite figured out if it’s important to actually apply the skill (by clicking on monsters) or not since it’s automatically applied because of the set bonus.

Edit: seems like Rend is only on the skill bar to select a rune.

So we are talking about 4 weeks before Season 19 comes out which amongst others, brings changes to the Wastes set etc? (installing PTR now to take a look).

Yes, and you can use the heroes that you already have on the PTR if you follow the instructions in the PTR notes.

Which I did not read or follow. It asked me to make a character, I made one, then it asked me to copy over, so I did, it displayed an error (“copy not available at this time” or something), I tried again, nothing, oh well.

In the mean time I am farming on my Necro GR60 (the max I can do) to get shards for the Barb to complete the Wastes set, missing the chest. Also missing bracers, amulet and 2nd ring. Got everything else.

There is a part about ptr copy here:

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/blog/23179288/patch-267-ptr-begins-1017-14-10-2019

Meteor posted earlier in this thread how you can get the necessary items from the ptr vendor…

Hi, if i look right because of your offhand and wepon your trying to run the
Poison scythe push build or you should. There is a couple off things wrong.
Main thing for Leger to do any damage you need to have 0 essence at time off attack. So you pretty much have to use Simulacrum mages to dump all your essence before attacking.
Dont use focus restraint. Use briggs wrath to pull anymies in aswell as frailty curse aura so all eniemies is cursed from the start of attacking.

Get depth diggers in cube, simplicy str gem so on.
Then look at fluffy’s build and play style video shoul help you alot.

diablofans com builds 99422-s14-poison-scythe-build-variant-speed

This should help you alot with the idea. You can chop and change some items to best fit what you currently have and build from there.

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

I have not played in a while.

I have logged on to remind myself, and all my Necro abilities are Poison. I do not like attacking with the Scythe because it is static and slow (you got to stop, aim and click to swing). I use it only for keeping Nayr’s buff up to 4 stacks (the buff is very short) and when very low on Essence to top it up, which is exactly the use you described with Simulacrum.

My “go to” attack while moving is Death Nova, and it does a lot of damage, and when in trouble if enough corpses to chain cast with Grasps of Essence, Corpse Explosion does top damage, again with no need to aim or click anywhere. Very last in damage comes from Cursed Scythe.

By now, I have switched to the WW barbarian which I found much easier to play with, and no need to stop moving, aim or click. He can do GR85 in 9:49. Last time I played the Necro I was at GR60 in 5:17. The barb has very average gear, nothing you would call top tier.

I link him below

https://www.d3planner.com/394673302

Barb is a fun character to play. Try an Echoing Fury in the cube instead of the Furnace though. WW is also a trash killer (and works great in density) so Echoing is better in general.
(And maybe take a look at the build guide to see what stats to reroll on items. Of course, if it’s a sub-par item then don’t go crazy rerolling and wasting a lot of gold and mats on it).

Because at higher rifts I have issues with hard to kill Elites and Bosses. So I switched to the Furnace.

1 Like

For anything other than low level speed-farming, this is bad advice. The buff from Echoing Fury is proc’d from kills, not from hits, so on higher level content the buff will drop off because you’re not killing things often enough, especially if you get a guardian that has no adds. The Furnace is the correct choice for pushing.

1 Like

You have several items where it seems that you can roll a lot more damage… and other items that can roll toughness instead of damage to skills that you don’t use.
Like your amulet which has fire but should be rolled to phys or crit.