High Ping, Lagg and Lost Connection - Error 1016

I have 2 questions:

1. Do you intend to fix this issues and when?
  2. Is there any way to find out on which server I connected to? Maybe cmd commands etc?

https://imgur.com/a/gZ5hGgI

There are two EU servers…

The trace you’re showing in that image is to the .157 server, which is the one I was having a lot of problems with a couple of days ago, whilst traces to the .158 server were okay. Myself and a number of others reported it, with WinMTR traces, in this thread (which receives no Blizzard response)…

I had explained why as57976.net has high latency/data loss in one of the post of the thread given by Meteorblade:

In your log, the last hop was fine, indicating that as57976.net nodes were working fine.

I cannot find any particular issue from your log. However, you just ran the test for very short period of time. Try run the test for at least 10 minutes WHILE you experience latency / disconnection playing the game.

In that thread, we had multiple people post traces. In each of the traces, the high latency was only to the .157 server, not the .158 server, despite them both going through the same as57976.net nodes.

There is no contradiction.

De-prioritize doesn’t mean always high latency/loss. If it is at low traffic, it could still have low latency/no loss.

Also, some nodes may be load-balanced. I.e. more than one devices sharing the loading. If some are de-prioritize configuration, some don’t, then the result may be insane. I have seen some nodes shown 50% loss constantly.

What I actually meant was that the information of these nodes are useless. They cannot be used to prove or disprove anything.

We need to read further down the log. In OP’s case, the next two hops were fine (no loss and low latency). That implies upper nodes working fine (pass messages down with no loss and low latency).

In some cases in the other thread, there were loss at last hop, it might be a sign of server problem as I said in that thread.

Also, some cases in that thread indicated multiple problems. Some were at client end. In these cases, the loss/latency at bottom nodes might be contributed by the defects in upper nodes. It made analysis difficult.

We need to read further down the log. In OP’s case, the next two hops were fine (no loss and low latency). That implies upper nodes working fine (pass messages down with no loss and low latency).

So… even there are enormous packet loss & latency in Blizzard network, all is fine and that isn’t Blizzard fault because next two hops showing 0% packet loss (passing messages down with no loss and low latency)…
I’m reading tech support posts since february, and this is next level
non-recognition of responsibility…
If measuring shows even 1% packet loss on just 1 hop on user end, tech support love to immediately puts the responsibility on the user end (windows, flush dns, ip4/6, network reset, GPU settings, 32 bit client, win 7 compability, dns, whatever). Now, even just Blizz network shows almost 50% loss and high latency, there is again no problems on Blizzard side?
Answer me then why is there very often disconnections (Error 1016) and how do we know on which server are we playing (is there any way connect to another 158. server which is less troublesome).

If there is data loss/high latency in the first hop or first few hops, it is very like a problem. Because we expect no loss and low latency with this short distance.

If we see data loss at upper half, “I” would say something wrong there. (I’d read the trend of data loss as well). In many feedbacks from the reporters, they were their router/modem/ISP issues.

Note that I’m not Blizzard support. I interpret the logs based on by knowledge.

Also, it is your ISP’s duty to investigate the issue. Blizzard support helps you to identify the issue.

I believe Blizzard has other monitoring tools to monitor their servers at their data center.

Sometimes issue may happens at near server end. Your reports help alerting Blizzard support.

From my own experience, power-cycling router and flush DNS did solve latency/disconnection a couple of time for me.

All I know is that Blizzard servers disconnecting us, and there is no packet loss or high ping till Blizzard network hops. As a users we don’t need to know hops, latency, winmtr or some other mumbo jumbo. We buy games and we want to play, if they asking for measurings, we provide and work together to resolve issues. I have this issues since beginning of February (End of S19), contacted tech support and they blame packet loss on my side. Resolve issues with my ISP, and then there is no packet loss on my side, measuring only show packet loss on Blizzard network and there is strange silence. Since February reading every post and investigating about this Lost Connection error 1016, trying to find fix, and not even once, even once
they admit problems on their side. Very frustrating…
Power cycling router and flush/change dns or some other fix never helps me. Error 1016 is persistive, and can’t fix this issue no matter what.
https://youtu.be/hrWf7SU19kA

There is strange behaviour with EU servers -
Winmtr measurings showed much worse packet loss and latency to American region on intermediate hops and on server end, but there is not a single disconnection error 1016. Except high latency, I can normally play on American region without server disconnection. When I switch to EU region, even with no packet loss (except on Blizz network) there are servers disconnection. In that case measuring packet loss and latency immediately is not important any more for them, because in that case they blame “routing” WTF…

Do you know how to examine on which server we are connected (185.60.112.157 or 185.60.112.158) when we are playing?

I had some disconnection/latency experiences. I used to troubleshoot myself.
Some cases are caused by my router. Few times are broken of undersea cable (internet backbone failure).

Some cases are caused by Antivirus/Windows Update in the background. To be honest, took my a long time to hunt them down.

Few times are caused by DDoS attack, authentication or game server issue. For these case, they affected many players and Blizzard usually post messages on their Twitter page.

EU twitter: https://twitter.com/BlizzardCSEU_EN
US twitter: https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS
Asia (in Chinese): https://twitter.com/blizzardcs_tw

I don’t think supports drawed this conclusion without any reasoning. May be they didn’t explained in details.

In some cases, even I could pin point the problem with my limited knowledge.

No, IDK. I’d test both of them.

I vaguely recall there was command line options you could enter into Battlenet to force connection to certain servers within a region, e.g. people playing from Australia force themselves onto the oceanic server (still nominally a USA region server) doing this. I wonder if there’s any equivalent for the two EU servers. If not, as we don’t seem to be able to ascertain which one we’re connected to in-game, not sure how we’d go about testing this.

True for Americas and Asia realms. I don’t know any argument for EU realm. I had tried “EU1” and “EU2”; but NO, they don’t work. :pensive:

Perhaps the two IPs are load balanced.

I said “test both” means running WinMTR test on both IP.

So, on many topics there is no official response from technical support about this problem…

But if their income money is on stake, they’ll probably be very fast as in this case…even with warm greetings…
https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/cant-pay-my-subscription/1460

Very shameful and eye opener… Big Thumb Down for Blizzard.