Inactivity DC does not DC character

I ran into an issue with automatic DC due to inactivity.

During solo play, I had to go AFK for a while so I paused the game with the menu screen (ESC). I was gone longer then expected so the game DC´ed me due to inactivity. I returned to the game, saw the DC due to inactivity message. Logged in only to find my character dead.

I get the goal is to save server load with the auto DC, but the game should not only DC me, but also logout my character. Not close my connection to the server and let the game continue so if the character is not in town and is HC, gets auto killed.

I wrote a ticket, response was that they cannot revive HC char. I get that, but I don´t get that the people that answered totaly ignored this core issue.

Maybe with feedback here, the issue can be addressed.

I don’t play hardcore and I’ve never paused the game long enough in a battle to experince what you did.
But I can see a reason why it works that way because else you had a perfect loophole to save your HC character in times of real trouble: just pause the game and wait for the disconnect. Voila, your hero is saved.

1 Like

When you pause the game by pressing Escape to get to the menus, the game will allow you to stay in that state for around 10 minutes. After that time expires, it begins the process to log you out of game. If your hero is in town, that happens instantly. If your hero is outside of town, e.g. open-world map, nephalem rift, greater rift, bounties, echoing nightmares, etc, then it begins the in-combat version of logout, which has a 10 second countdown. If you’re in hardcore, a hero making no defensive actions being beaten on by mobs unopposed for 10 seconds is pretty much going to result in the hero dying.

This behaviour is not a mistake, or a bug, it’s intended design. It’s done this way so that if you’re playing content in hardcore and get into the situation where it looks like your hero would die, e.g. all your save deaths have proc’d and you’re almost out of health, you’d just press Escape to pause the game, and wait 10 minutes to save your hero due to the logout.

Learn from this. If you ever need to go AFK in hardcore, teleport to town first and then pause.

1 Like

I know that the 10 seconds log-out wait time is normal outside of safe zones. It never occured to me, that it could be missused as you explain it. Should have been the support explaining it like that then I would not complain :smiley:

Thank you for the info!

1 Like