Primal drop rate

No. He’s a monster… of math and game knowledge!

1 Like

Ok, in my experience it is very random. E.g. I was playing a couple of hours almost every day during lock down and I rarely see any primal but then suddenly I got 6 in 2 days. 1 from the Rift, 1 from the Cow, 2 from the cube, 1 from kadala, 1 from GR. The only question is whether it is useful primal or not. Most of the time, NO. Sometime I even get the exact same one twice. If you look at my Marauder I have full complete set. So they do drop with a bit of luck, you might get more than usual. https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/KKWIN-2528/hero/62435739

It’s as if one person thinks that other people would waste their lives in an extreme enough way that math would be required to reciprocate it.

There is not any level I could play that much to get better at something or make something better at something.

I am truly at a point of stop playing I have played for years but seems like blizzard will not let have the enjoyment of primals I have 5 for this season and I ave not got one in over a month, I have friends that gets 2 or 3 in a day and I get none, I do the killing and people leeching get the primals how fair is that, blizzard you really need to be fair about this and let everyone have the same chances seems like certain people are choosen and some have to basically make a job out of what is suppose to be a fun experience while not getting anything it is not fair and I think that everyone should be treated the same none should be treated more special than others. This game is so unfair and takes all the fun out of it not motivated to keep playing just hoping that one day they will focus on making this game more fair for all

They all have the same opportunity, i.e. 1 in 400 legendaries. That doesn’t mean they’ll all get the same outcome. If you asked 100 people to toss a coin 1000 times each, would you really expect them all to get the same number of tails?

They are.
They all have 1 in 400 chances.

It is fair because everyone has the same equality of opportunity.
What you seem to be asking for is equity, i.e. everyone gets the same results.

Primals are a dice roll. The more times you roll the dice, the more you’ll win (on average), but there’s no guarantee of winning.

2 Likes

All you need to do is play more. You are only paragon 711, no wonder you have not found more primals yet.

2 Likes

I understand the math that’s being presented, but I can’t help but feel the same as the Orginal Poster. I also prefer to play solo.

I played casually, but a decent amount a few years ago, enough to level 5 toons to 70, get my main Witch Doc all the class armor sets, finished around GR85ish, with a paragon in the 700s. Then lost interest with a feeling of “what’s it all for”. Grind to get gear to grind a little higher. In that time I got the GR70 Primal plus one more.

I picked it back up about a month ago and I’ve taken my level 70 Deamon Hunter from no one or two pieces of class sets, 90% ancient for all sets, paragon 700ish to 911 now, leveled 6 Legendaries Gems to 90, currently hitting just above GR100ish. I can’t even begin to guess how many Legendaries I’ve dropped, how many crystals I’ve spent, only may 10 reforges…zero primals. I feel like I’m missing something.

I tinkered with a seasonal toon back a year or two ago, but that’s all the seasonal new starts I’ve done. Is this the key, are sesonals required?

I’m getting burnt out on a stagnation of progress.

Edit: just saw the play timer on each character, 155 hours for my Witch Doc, 87 hours on my current Demon Hunter, 98 hours on my Wizard (admittedly, most of this toon’s time was early learning as it was my first D3 toon). At least 50%-70% of those hours were played above GR70. Not sure “more time played” is my problem.

Edit 2: maybe complaining about it is the key, 3 GR90s after this post I dropped a Primal. “Fletcher’s Pride” quiver. Unfortunately, I’ve got an Ancient Fletcher’s Pride which has more DPS that this Primal, and it’s sitting in my inventory unused.

It is.

On average, 1 in 10 legendaries are ancient.
On average, 1 in 400 legendaries are primal.

Therefore, the way to increase the number of ancients / primals you get is to increase the number of legendaries you earn for time spent. With the follower changes in Patch 2.7.0, which means they can have the Cain’s and Sage’s 3-piece bonus emanating, this means you can earn even more DBs and GR key whilst you do your T16 rifts for keys.

Then, run the GRs at as high a level as you can complete them in 3-5 minutes per run. At GR90, you reach the max legendaries a guardian can drop, which is 12. Any higher than GR90 will get you more XP, but will not get you more legendaries, so only go higher than GR90 if you can still complete them in the 3-5 minute range.

Let’s say that gets you 10 GR runs in an hour (factoring in time in town, salvaging, spending bloodshards, making a cup of tea, toilet breaks, and so on). Well, that’s 120 legendaries per hour. With the follower changes, each T16 rift should get you 5-6 GR keys, and take maybe 3 minutes each (including the 30 second closing time). So, for a little over 4 hours, you’d get 480 legendaries from the GR guardians, and lets say another 20 from the rifts / bloodshards / kadala. That’s 500 legendaries in, let’s say, 4 hours 30 minutes. If you do that a couple of times a week, that’s 9 hours played (so not a lot over an hour a day) you’d have 1000 legendaries.

So, the 1 in 10 ancients means, on average, you’d get 100 ancients and the 1 in 400 primals means, on average, you’d get 2-3 primals. Every week, for a little over an hour a day played.

1 Like

The important bit to remember is that the primal drop rate averages 1 in 400 on a long term. There can be serious variances in drops, sometimes you might get lucky several times in a short period of time, sometimes it can take very long between drops.

Last night I got a double drop:
https://i.imgur.com/cv4F1sm.jpg
Let’s see how long it’ll take for me to get another primal.

2 Likes

That’s crazy. It has happened to me too, only once in my life, and it happened this season. So, was anything good? Mine was like a harrington belt (salvage) and a bul kathos ring (also salvage)…

Just junk, Hellrack and Krede’s Flame. I gave Hellrack to my follower.

So it’s because of people like Yukos and Kirottu grabbing all the primals other players hardly get any!!!

:laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t understand the obsession with primals. Most of them are immediate salvage and a good ancient is almost the same as primal sometimes even better. Stop looking for them.