Return of the SOJ

Hi all, remember when SOJs use to be the best ring in the game? Now they are pretty much useless, especially on endgame setups. I propose changing the current affix instead to “Doubles all elemental damage bonus”…this should re-establish SOJ as top damage dealing alternative to COE and would be greatly beneficial to many different builds. Thoughts?

When was SoJ supposed to be the best ring in D3? I don’t remember it ever being more than somewhat usable in very rare cases.

Its current power is not brilliant but can provide some use in LoD builds.

maybe double elemental damaga and 100% damage to elites, otherwise I do not see its use.

Let’s say you already had 20% elemental damage on your bracers and amulet, giving you a current 40% bonus to that element. That’s a 1.4 times multiplier to damage (of that element).

Now you equip your SoJ which, for sake of argument, successfully rolls with the same element you’re using.

That raises your base elemental damage from 40% to 60%, then doubles that to 120%. That’s a 2.2 times multiplier to damage (of that element).

That’s an increase of 2.2 / 1.4 = 1.57 = 57% increase to damage.

Okay, but you’re losing out on a CoE to get that 57%.

The CoE is guaranteed to roll with Main Stat, CHC, a socket, and 2 random affixes. That means, if you roll off the Main Stat, you could end up with…

CHC / CHD / AS (or AD, base damage, CDR, etc), a socket and secondaries.

Monks have 5 elements available to them, Necros have 3, the rest of the classes have 4.

For players that don’t pay attention to their CoE cycle, this means for the time they’re in their “off element” the CoE provides no elemental bonus, but on their “on element” the CoE provides a 200% damage bonus, i.e. a 3.0 damage multiplier.

Okay, for five of the classes, that equates to the following in a 16 seconds of the CoE rotation

12 seconds of zero bonus, 4 seconds of 200% bonus. That’s an average of 50% bonus.

So, your SoJ gets you 57% damage versus CoE’s 50%, and gives you bonuses versus elites.

Okay, but look at all the other affixes you miss out on with the SoJ. You can’t get CHC + CHD, or a trifecta, with SoJ. A CoE with CHC / CHD / Base Damage would completely obliterate the SoJ, especially for a player that paid attention to their elemental rotation, and only nuked in their “on element” cycle.