The itemization shown so far for D4 is terrifyingly bad

This is more just me regurgitating and adding my voice to all the other voices of people on how poor the itemization shown so far seems. Its been mentioned that devs have said something along the lines of

We don’t want players to have to solve a math puzzle to know what gear is an upgrade.

Hard disagree, that’s the literal point of ARPG itemization. It’s supposed to have complexity, it’s supposed to have itemization that isn’t immediately obvious what’s best for your build (without having a deeper understanding of the mechanics that makes your build function).

The itemization shown in the d3 beta was practically exactly the itemization that was in d3 at launch, with that in mind the itemization shown so far in d4 is absolutely unacceptable. If you stick to what you’ve shown you’re not releasing d4 you’re releasing d3.2.

Tl;dr: the itemization you’ve shown lacks complexity, meaningful choices and is extremely worrying because it makes you seem like you don’t understand WHY people started quitting d3 en mass (alongside the design of the endgame amounting to “run rifts” repeat).

Failing at making a build function is okay, that’s how you improve.

9 Likes

Yeah and… https://youtu.be/jvNb8F2Ac5c?t=2080 one of their guys is saying that the cube from “Diablo” 3 is CORE to Diablo when literally no one from Diablo or Diablo II has asked for that LOL

Don’t forget that only the hardcore Diablo fans want complexity. Not the 80% casual players.

I think simplicity is fine on the surface, as long as you have the ability to dive deeper and do the math yourself, if you choose to do so.

2 Likes

You don’t make game for casuals…you make good games…and there has to be depth to good games. Depth doesn’t mean it has to be overly complicated like PoE or WoW’s math problems

3 Likes

They* used to make good games*
Please remember that since 2008 it’s been down hill in quality of blizzard games this isn’t something that “Just” appeared.

They pick simplicity over complexity.

3 Likes

2008 is pushing it, I’d say it started earlier than that lol… like halfway thru 2007

But if they do not cater to the casual market, which is perhaps a majority to be sure, then their game will not be successful.

If you where a game developer, you’d want you game to be spread across an extremely wide audience.

No, I’d want my game to be a good game that I’d play myself. They’re not really making games anymore though, it’s always LiVe SeRvIcEs or “product first” nonsense where they literally don’t care about the quality :confused:

But would you want to make money if you published your own game? And the best way to do that is to ensure that it sells to as wide an audience as possible.

And you should really hear yourself.

Blizzard does indeed care about product first. That means they want to release only games that meet their quality standards in order to ensure market success.

There have been three Diablo releases in 23 years, of which only 2 of those each got one official expansion. That averages 7 years between releases. Or would you prefer the turnaround time between releases to be much quicker?

If you want a fast turnaround time, then you also want poor mechanics, shoddy graphics, gameplay exploits, bugs, etc. to be present in the games you play.

I’d love to see Diablo IV release in time for Christmas 2020, but will not be disappointed if I have to wait for 2021 or even 2022.

That’s exactly what “Diablo” 3 is.

Their quality standards are basically 4th world…

Ok, now you’ve crossed a line buddy.

I happen to live in a country that not too long ago was indeed considered 3rd world by many, and you have now basically insulted me any a lot of other people also.

You obviously think because you live in “The 1st World” that you’re better than everyone else? I have news for you, pal. “The 1st World” nations are responsible for more death and destruction in the whole world than any other nation across the planet.

You appear to be here not to provide any kind of positive feedback on the news of Diablo IVs release, or any kind of positive feedback at all for that matter.

1 Like

Get over it. 4th world refers to a lack of quality despite an abudance of resources.

Actually, no. This is what “4th World” means:

The Fourth World is a term used to describe the most underdeveloped, poverty-stricken, and marginalized regions of the world.

So you, sir, need to get over yourself and your apparent holier-than-thou attitude. These forums would be better off without you.

2 Likes

I don’t use urban dictionary definitions. Moron. Kiss in Danish.

You where saying?

That’s even worse than urban dictionary. Hard not to cringe. Get off the internet

The only 4th world you guys should be discussing in here is Diablo 4’s world. Can we drop the politics please?

2 Likes

So there it is. The classic “I’ve lost the argument” technique of not providing a structured response and attempting to deflect the issue.

But back on topic. What to you know about quality control anyway, and how would you exactly use that experience to help Blizzard make Diablo IV better?

1 Like

I agree.

Except his using “The 4th World” to describe the quality of the games is what set me off, and my apologies to all if I fell into his trap and went off topic. But it was inappropriate and should not have been brought up by him to begin with.

1 Like

You lost and it wasn’t an argument in the first place. Kiss in Danish.