Was our characters hacked? Is there a fix?

I’m on an XBox Scorpio and about 3 - weeks ago, during my usual 3-party play with the Wifey and her friend where I had “fiddled” around with some difficulty settings, and had also mistakenly set out game to PUBLIC!

In the midst of our play, some random dude popped in all LIT UP and super powerful, where he started throwing down all kinds of “green” stuff with sending a msg saying “I don’t need it take it…”

Likewise I opened a Greater Rift and where as (embarrassingly) it usually takes us 20mins or so, dude finished the rift in less that 2-mins.

I / we’ve never seen anything like that before - but we “spruced up” our characters with all the zillions of Paragons we discovered we had when doing our repairs and upgrades from picked up items etc.

Being suspicious of all that was going on, especially since it wasn’t really fun “running after dude”, trying to keep up with him, and not really killing anything ourselves - I msg dude “thanking him” for what he gave us and immediately exited the game and turned back on Private mode.

Now unfortunately, when we attempt to go into a Greater Rift, we get immediately killed once hit by a monster where as prior to the intruder, we were doing quite well in the Hard mode rifts!

So I’m wondering was our characters hacked / powers stolen OR is it because our chars are showing huge amounts of Paragon values BUT “underneath” all that glory , all of our powers have been stolen??

Originally, were were Lvl 70, somewhere around ~138…

Any help or suggestions as to how to fix our characters is appreciated!

I’ll NEVER play Public D3 games again, that’s for sure!

Hi:

I only play on PC… but I think there is enough similarity between the Console game and the one on the PC.

What level of Greater Rift are you trying to play at ? it sounds like you’re trying to play at too high a level. On the PC, the Greater Rift difficulty is totally separate from the game difficulty. So if you create a Hard or Expert game, it does not influence the difficulty of the Greater Rift. What does influence the difficulty of the Greater Rift is its level… a number from 1 to 150. Try lowering the GRift level to around 10 and see if you can handle that. On the PC, the gRift difficulty level is handled by a slider when you click on Greater Rift as shown in this screenshot:

At Paragon 130… you should be able to play at a higher difficulty level than “Hard”. What happens when you go to “Expert”, or “Master” or even “Torment 1”? Are you getting one-shot by monsters ? If so, this would indicate that your hero does not have enough toughness. How many times do you need to hit a “normal” (white) monster to kill it ? If you cannot dispatch a normal monster with a few hits (3 or less hits), then you aren’t doing enough damage to play at that difficulty level.

There are many websites with information on how to equip your hero… one of the good ones is Icy Veins… Diablo 3 Best Builds, Guides, and News - Diablo 3 - Icy Veins – you may want to bookmark it and refer to it to improve your hero.

I don’t think your hero got “hacked”… you probably now have a whole lot more paragons than you used to have (how many paragons do you now have?)… so playing the lower levels should be so easy it’s not even fun. But before you can attempt the Torment levels… you need to gear up and learn how to play your hero. Depending on the class you play, there is usually a lot more than just « hit, hit, hit » :slight_smile:

If the high level / well-geared player opened the Greater Rift, the level of GR he can open is determined by the highest he’s ever done. After he left the game, the next time you go into a GR the default is to run another GR at the same level as the one you just cleared. So, if that guy ran you through, let’s say a GR150, the next time you go back you’d also go into a GR150 unless you drop the difficulty down. Boubou has explained how this is done on PC, but there’s got to be something similar on console.

1 Like

Thanks so much guys, for your responses.

Thing was as I mentioned, we’ve had been playing GRs forever - it would take us 20+ mins (LOL), but we’d make it through - mostly wo/dying!

After the “world wind” play through with Capt’n suppa-hyack, right after we stepped in to the rift, whether Hard as we’ve been playing, or even Normal, as soon as we would get hit -> grave on the ground!

I agree with you Meteorblade, that it seems like even though we had huge new amounts of paragons thanks to super hacks, it was like our characters “underneath” were still only where we were before dude jumped into our game.

We even tried some of our older characters so, YES I think it has to do with the “Rift Level” - I have to see if there’s away to go back to a lower level.

Yesterday we bit the bullet and created new chars and started over.
While we were “standing on the rocks” adjusting our characters, AGAIN, some dude popped in and was standing there - we were like WTF??!!11
My wife’s girlfriend has been honestly traumatized after all of this LOL!!

I was pretty sure I had set the our prior game to Private (before we gave up and decided to start over new) and I was the #1 player and had invited in the wifey and her friend - how did he poof-pop in, and become Player #1?? He was already in the game playing - so we all dropped out and started over!

I def made sure the game was Private the 2nd time! No problems after that…

Thanks for your suggestions - I think this does have to do with the Rift level; if that can be changed, great!

I do admit though, we had some good fun starting over at Level 1 on Hard; it was honestly too easy for us, even before the hack - the GRs were challenging but everything else was mostly a cake-walk, unfortunately.

Not sure whether this exists for consoles, but on PC…

Escape > Options > Social > Additional Options > [ x ] Enable: Quick Join

Disable that, as it allows anyone on your Friends List to automatically join your games, even if they’re set to private. If you, your wife and her friend all set this, and one of you start a private game, the only way someone else can join you is if you specifically invite them.

MP on console grants a buff. I noticed this when Coop with my mom. With me, she was owning Torment 8 easy… once on her own? Death, death, death…

My personal advice- reset all Paragon levels. Now, Set your Points as follows-

Offense category- Fill up Critical Hit Damage and Critical Hit Chance first then Attack Speed.
Defense category- Resist All max first then Armor, then Cooldown Reduction then Life.
Utility category- Life on Hit max is priority, then you want Resource Cost Reduction and then Area Damage leaving Gold last.
Core is… well… a chore however soloing a GR56 my Wizard Caliope has 110 Intelligence and 33 Arcane Power. She has gems and using Hydra set but that aside, these are my suggestions only for a level 570+ Paragon.

Adjust as you prefer however but try this and see how you fare

Why are you necro-bumping a thread from October 2020, i.e. 8 months ago?