Why is Work of Cathan removing set bonus?

So I used Work of Cathan on the lv 70 cain set.
Just noticed that now even if I equip multiple pieces the set bonus doesn’t activate anymore.
Is this normal? I didn’t find mention anywhere that using Work of Cathan makes the Set Bonus not work anymore :x

There are two different Cain’s sets.
There’s the level 23 set Cain’s Fate, e.g. Cain’s Memory
There’s the level 70 set Cain’s Destiny, e.g. Cain’s Insight

As both sets have exactly the same icon, on-hero and transmog appearances, my initial hunch is that you’ve accidentally equipped a mixture of the two sets and that’s why you’re not getting the set bonuses of either.

1 Like

Thanks Meteorblade, I have both sets of Cain, the level 23 and the level 70 one.
Alas this is the level 70 set.
After reducing the requirement of the set with Work of Cathan, the set bonus doesn’t work anymore for some reason.

Can see it in a screenshot here, just add h t t p s : / / in front of it, won’t let me post links otherwise.
i.postimg.cc/Vv83Q42z/cainset.jpg

You can post URLs like so…

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… https://i.postimg.cc/Vv83Q42z/cainset.jpg

Anyway, let me go ahead and embed that for you…

Okay, I know what the issue is. Take a look at the 2-piece and 3-piece bonuses listed on the two pieces. The bonuses are not the same. The level 70 Cain’s set was changed in a patch. Your Scrivener’s were crafted after that patch, your Habit is a legacy item from before that patch. So, whilst they’re nominally the same set, one’s current, one’s legacy, and they have different underlying ItemIDs, and therefore aren’t part of the same set. You’ll need to craft a new Habit, and use the Cube recipe again.

2 Likes

Ooh, so that’s it, think we found the culprit finally.
Thanks Boubou and Meteorblade!

1 Like

Didn’t realise it was this far back, but it seems it was in the patch just before Season 18, in August 2019…

https://eu.diablo3.com/en-us/blog/23093786/season-18-the-season-of-the-triune-begins-august-23-8-15-2019#items

Cain’s Destiny

• (2) Set Bonus
    • Attack Speed increased by 8%
    • +50% Experience. (5.0% at level 70) (Moved from (3) Set Bonus)
  • (3) Set Bonus
    • When a Greater Rift Keystone drops, there is a 25% chance for an extra one to drop.

Glad you got it sorted.

3 Likes