Windows 10 2004 - Game freeze

Now I have had this game Diabo 3 from the beginning and I have never had any issues with the game until the last month or so. These issues started when I got a fresh windows 10 install which was the 19041 / basically the Windows 10 2004 version.

The game would basically sometimes freeze for a couple of seconds 2 to 15 seconds then continue, but in the end it would freeze and hang where ALT-CTRL-DEL will not even give me the task manager to kill the app and I need to restart. Having read through some of the threads on here it seems like it is an issue with Windows 10 2005 / 19041.

What should I do?

I have tried all the other suggestions, including resinstalling the Blizzard desktop app and reinstalling Diablo 3 but without any luck. This is really frustrating as sometimes I want to switch off and play a game and then I sit with this issue.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers yet? One other option would be to free up system resources by closing as many background applications as possible.

If the issue persists, please upload your system files to pastebin.com and reply with the links to the files using the preformatted text option to encapsulate the links.

Over a month ago Blizzard accepted that this freezing issue is caused by the interaction of Diablo III’s sound subsystem and the Windows 10 2004 update and advised that gathering of system files was no longer necessary…

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/main-thread-windows-19041-freezing-for-5-10-seconds/18380/22 which says…

Edited by blizzard: This message previously requested system reports and error logs, but we have received enough. Thank you for the information to help us identify the problem!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/main-thread-windows-19041-freezing-for-5-10-seconds/18380/71 which says…

Edited by blizzard: Previously this message requested DXDiag reports, but we have received enough. Thank you for the information to help us identify the problem!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/main-thread-windows-19041-freezing-for-5-10-seconds/18380/87 which says…

I’m editing the other messages to indicate that we no longer need more data. You are welcome to continue reporting issues or work arounds that you discover, but you can save yourself some time and stop gathering the previously requested logs now.

1 Like

Not sure where I saw it but pretty sure we no longer need to get any data on this issue. It’s related to the update and something that is being looked in to.

That’d be in the US Technical Support thread I linked and quoted from. :wink:

Hello Tritambarum :

Any update on the status… or ETA ? The latest update from Blizzard is already 10 days old, and does not sound too encouraging.

@OP : your options are very limited at this time…

• revert back to the previous Windows version/build if it’s possible,
  • disabling totally the sound system on your PC might work, or
  • replacing the fmodex64.dll file with another one seems to be currently the most popular workaround… it is not supported by Blizzard, and it will leave you with no sound in the game. You can read about it in that link that @Meteorblade has posted. It’s a long read… fetch some refreshment before starting that.
2 Likes

Thank you Boubou I will try the options mentioned except for reverting back to previous Windows build as it is freshly installed 19041 version so cannot fall back.

Many thanks

1 Like

Let me guess, you are using on-board sound on your motherboard with realtek drivers? I have found out that for some reason the combo of realtek drivers + diablo 3 last patch and 2004 update makes diablo freeze. Me and my friend had the same issue. It was solved by adding a sound card and fully removing realtek drivers. 0 freezes. For some reason d3 support is in denial about this issue by the looks of it.

1 Like