D4 has run out of RAM?

Would be nice if the error report came with its typical serial code so we could at least have something else to identify the same issue. Out of 700 minutes of que time yesterday 20 minutes play :upside_down_face: :melting_face:

I’ve changed from High to Medium and disabled most niceties like shadows and reflections and although my RAM consumption went from an average of 22GB to 14-16GB, the VRAM usage remained capping my card at 97-100% of the 8GB, it’s using 8146GB near constantly, the other 46mb will probably be reserved for my other monitors, but the tooltip advises this should be no more than 4GB (4096mb) on medium. I do get occasional stutters but it’s playable overall if I run nothing else on my gaming workstation. I feel like these types of hardware issues should be caught during the alpha and not the beta where its basically finished and final mechanics are being tested months before global launch, probably does not help the people selected for closed alpha typically have the most powerful systems on the professional market, near enough what the developers are building the game with and will not experience the average users hardware limitations. I will test on low when I get on later, but if I need to play a game, any game on then lowest settings while being asked (optional) for up-to 100 bucks upfront on a system I built for almost 2k not 2 years ago and there is no announcement that this is an actual performance bug, I’ll probably need to reconsider the purchase as I won’t be accepting the lowest possible experience as an valid compromise.

2 Likes

Setting textures to low/med quality fixed it for me too. Now memory use is around 13GB.
Memory use still grows, but a much slower pace. At least game is playable.
ryzen 5 5600x
32GB ram.
rtx 3070 ti

“Out of memory”
i3 12100f
32 GB DDR4 3600
RTX 3060 12 GB

Ive been following this post for a while now and there is certainly a memory leak issue with the game. I hope this is resolved ready for launch as overall - the game play is quite good.

I’ve read that I’m not the only user with a blue-screen memory management issue. That’s slightly re-assurint. I haven’t tested the potential fix yet of changing the texture settings periodically to prevent crashes. Can anyone else confirms this works?

hi, it seems to me, that d4 + discord didnt like each other - playing without discord works fine, after starting discord, it takes not lng and ram runs full (32gb)

Friends! Everyone who set himself 32+ gigabytes of RAM, and decided that he didn’t need the swap file anymore and completely removed it, then we return the swap file back, I put 6 gigabytes, until there was an error …

1 Like

Same problem, game crashed 11 times this night. Even lowering everything from 4k high to hd low.
It’s playable for like 20 Minutes now, but 20 minutes gaming vs login time+queue.

Game crashs after using 27GB Ram.

This is not a Beta, this is a pre-alpha release…
Not many ppl will archive level 20.

They definitely should fix this problem today and extend this Beta Weekend for one Day.

They won’t get many reviews about the game if 95% of the player won’t be able to play it normal

Accidentally left my game up overnight. Woke up to a rebooted system, which means a crash. Definitely looking like someone somewhere forgot asset cleanup, or is multi generating assets but only cleaning one instance. Unlikely it’s garbage cleanup unless your garbage cleanup functions are used globally and you forgot a specific file type that’s being used.

You’re looking at a leak of 1.2mb per cycle or less (Probably closer to 0.6mb).

Same issue here too. I had virtual memory off, I have now turned it on, will see if difference.
EDIT: If there is a memory leak then nothing we do can fix it until it is patched. sadge

Please post a solution to the problem, it’s just that everyone writes about errors, but they don’t even try to read what they write. To everyone who set themselves 32+ gigabytes of RAM, and decided that he no longer needed the swap file and completely deleted it, then we return the swap file back, I put 6 gigs until an error came out …

I had this yesterday, spent 2 hours in the queue, got in for around 30 mins before beind disconnected, noticed how much RAM it was using and was like “thats not good” - to summerise, the game ate near enough 30GB RAM on my system

I had the same issue and a work-around for me is to increase the virtual memory of windows. I have 32GB RAM and set the virtual memory to 16GB respectively. Did a short system restart and tried to change the resolution back to high. I was standing afk in town for a while as well as going out of town and fighting some demons. So far no more disconnect or “running out of memory” message occured. Therefore, you should try to set the virtual memory to at least 50-75% of your installed RAM, maybe this will help you also.

1 Like

I resolved completly the issue by set my pagefile as “Managed by Windows”.

I set manage virtual memory by windows and no crash after 3 hours… usually happened within 30 mins. Seems to fix it for now.

Just to add on. I had so many crashes today and couldn’t figure out what the cause was. I even removed my Riser cable from the equation just to be sure. I believe I have found the solution.

My specs:
XFX RX 6800 16GB
R5 3600X
M.2 SSD x2
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

My Virtual Memory was set to 4GB per SSD, and this was clearly not enough for D4. I had this Warning in Event Viewer:

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: Diablo IV.exe (9060) consumed 13500731392 bytes, RadeonSoftware.exe (22324) consumed 470585344 bytes, and Battle.net.exe (4224) consumed 363700224 bytes.

If you don’t know where to check, search for Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs > System, and you should have a warning with above message after the crash.

I switched my Virtual Memory settings to System Managed size, rebooted, and Windows set it to 17GB.

If you don’t know how to change this:

• Hit Win+R to open Run
  • Type sysdm.cpl and press Enter
  • Advanced tab and Settings button under performance
  • Advanced tab and Change button under Virtual Memory
  • Set to System Managed size and click set
  • Click ok and reboot PC.

When I look at my RAM usage in task manager, I have more or less 24/32GB allocated. This 32GB seems to be Physical RAM + Virtual RAM (Note that Virtual RAM and VRAM or Video RAM are different things). While playing D4, the 24GB seems to grow, and I have not encountered a crash yet, but haven’t been playing that long either.

If you switch your texture settings to Low and then back to Medium, the usage goes down as well.

Obviously the devs need to find a way to manage RAM better, but hopefully the above works for most people letting them play the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

The temporary solution for this is to enable a system-manged paging file. When the page-file is manged by the system, it dynamically scales in size as needed, meaning that a memory leak such as this one can page an infinitely growing amount of data to your SSD once your RAM is “full” (allocated).

The fact that the game crashes after 5 minutes with paging file disabled (as it should be for any sensible Windows user) is clearly a result of the memory leak. I’m not sure if the client is failing to purge old texture assets, or if it’s something related to telemetry, but whatever it is, my system is showing a LOT of writes from the client to my SSD - more than I would expect unless the telemetry is either crazy extensive, or there is a problem.

Actually it works the other way for me, Philmander. Fixed paging file (32768 MB = 32 GB) at least allowed me to start the game and play (out of memory error otherwise with system managed paging file). I have 16 GB of ram and diablo used like 8-10GB when crashed. System never auto-created paging file (as i keep it disabled most times). Maybe theres a problem when diablo tries to use virtual mem. (win10 enterprise 21h2)

UPDATE:
After 1h of playing i have no issues with the game. Memory usage - about 21-22GB total (including virtual). 5,6/6 GB VRAM usage with default settings, 1080p, runs smoothly with my old 1060 6gb.

Hello guys,

I had the same issue. To fix it i set my Pagefile to 40 GB Max, i was logged in and could play almost the whole day without an issue. I startet with the lowest graphic settings and i am now testing the highest settings with the page file set to 40 GB (so far no crashes either).

According to the Task Manager my Committed Memory was increasing slowly until it reached 30.9/ 36.2 GB on low settings and 32.7/37.2 GB on highest settings, then it stopped increasing and is now steady on those Numbers. Diablo 4 used constantly around 11-13 GB of my 16 GB RAM.

System Specs:

• AMD RYZEN 7 5800X
  • 16 GB RAM 3200 Mhz
  • AMD Radeon 6700 XT
  • Game is running on an SSD with enough Space for the Page File (If that matters)

Please someone tell PezRadar and the tecs of Blizzard the MEMORY LEAK, is a heavy and gruesome issue, more important than the “queue”. Still with the same mistake at this minute.

1 Like