Diablo 4 broke my PC

I’m truly disappointed. I did not mind the long queue yesterday I did not post anything I expected that a lot of player will want to try the game. But now afternoon the game crashed terribly it has found corrupted files. My monitors went black the game crashed to desktop even Google Chrome freezed and all of my icons disappeared from my desktop. I restart my PC but now I have no audio I cannot watch series from Netflix I cannot play Wow or other games. I never experienced any problem before with any game. My PC was rock solid. This is not a closed beta for some inviduals this is a bonus for a larger audiance real customers this shouldn’t happened at all. I participated in betas in the past before and it never happened that a game is destroying my PC. This outrageous! I want refund.

9 Likes

DIV crashed numerous times, but the final crash completely corrupted my external hard drive (where all my games resided…past tense). Nearly half a TB gone. Spent hours trying to recover to no avail. My first, and last, time joining in a Beta Test.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity did you guys Run Windows 11 and using an AMD videocard?

I did not lose any files or getting corrupt files but my crash was painful for my ear. My pc Frozen/crash could not alt tab,Alt F4 or use the Windows key, Also CTRL,ALT,Delete or CTRL,SHIFT,ESC to bring up the task manager was not working. Monitor also went black flashed everything frozen and i had lot of static noise in my speaker not stopping and then pc rebooted.

1 Like

No I’m using Windows 10 and I have a Nvidia card. There is another topic with lot of comments about that a lot of 3080Ti GPUs were bricked while playing Diablo. We are lucky guys because we did not loose our GPU at least.

I think it is important that other ones have similar problems like me when the game is messing with the whole system of the computer (hard-drive, web browser, audio system) not just causing overheating of the GPU.

Thank you for reading my feedback and provide yours here I think this could be important for Blizzard team to recognize and trying to solve these problems.

Well don’t blame on the dev if you don’t have enough fan to cool your pc. I got a 6900 XT overclocked at 4k and it didn’t burn at all because I cooled it enough.

I was running at 70 degree at 4k graphic maximum everything.

I’m sure lot of people are running a big card with nearly the maximum of the acceptable temperature of the GPU like 90 degree. Blame it on Nvidia or the cooling of the PC.

If you don’t trust me: just run 3DMark and check it out your GPU will crash.

If a GPU is damaged or the cooling system is very bad it will be a problem with every game especially the ones which system requirements are much higher than Diablo 4’s.

When my old GPU started to die I had crashes and BSoD errors even while i was playing with Wow or just reading news for example.

If a GPU can handle other games without any error this is more than a suspicious situtation.

It is really hard to blame anything on Nvidia because I haven’t got any issues with other games.

It is not a solution if we are trying to hide problems, it is a childish behaviour. Problems have to be discussed and solved.

There are many reports about this, this issues aren’t the problem of 1-2 individual.

I’m not posting this because I want to harm Blizzard my intention is the opposite. I’m a big Blizzard fan and D4 looks to be a very promising game. But technical issues so serious like this can bury a game. Cyberpunk 2077 is a sad example.

I don’t like the idea if the same situation will happen with my favourite company. I hope D4 will be the game of the year, but this issues have to be solved.

1 Like

My pc also died playing Diablo 4 beta

1 Like

D4 crashed my computer as well - sound was still playing but the screen was black. Then it reset. When it came back on, the video was running 1024x768 and I couldn’t do any other option. I had to uninstall and reinstall the video drivers and it came back. Now I don’t intend to play D4 beta again as I cannot afford downtime due to a computer failure because of a game. I’m disappointed. I am considering doing a chargeback on my credit card.

1 Like

Happened to my 3080 TI as well.

1 Like

Could more probably be the other way around, so the first crashes were also because of your broken drive and it finally broke completely.

Doesnt have to do anything with the game.
People made such asumptions with new world and their GPUs too, but this was proved wrong many times instead it was the fault of some gpu brands (if i remember correctly it was mostly gigabyte?)… hardware, especially GPUs and CPUs have protections built in to shut off before real damage can occur.

Had zero crashes with DIV beta btw.

i played on my old laptop (miles under min.req) with updated drivers without probs ;D

Just want to preface that I can play every other game without issue and my temps are all within threshold.

I had an issue where while playing, my PC hard locked and I had to reboot by holding the power down. Post reboot. I attempted to login to Windows and my PC would freeze at the rotating welcome screen. I tried everything to fix it, booting from external medium, chkdsk, sfc scans. Nothing would work.

I refreshed my Windows 11 installation and noticed that BAR/AMD Smart Access Memory disabled itself in the BIOS. I’m wondering if having BAR enabled with specific setups is also causing issues.

Ultimately, the hard lock of my system caused corruption issues with my Windows 11 installation.

5800x3d
32gb @ 3600mhz
ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII (latest bios and chipset drivers)
Red Devil 6900xt ultimate (latest AMD drivers)
Windows 11 22H2 (build 22621.1413)

Most card so far that crashed/bricked their gpu was because of the fps going way to high similar to the new world incident,

also I am running an 5900x at 70c and 7900xtx at 80c, sometime peaking at 85
PC got good airflow, I mean i play bf2042 or cod and game that reportedly have higher temps with no problem.

I played D4 for about 6 hours without any issues and then PC frozen and crash, rebooted launched the game again and 4 min after same thing and temps were not even high yett… rebooted and then i played for a 5hours without problem.
There was also report of memory leak.

1 Like

I saw that when D4 get out of memory Windows did weird thinks, but I supposed that out of memory (maybe via pointer out of range access) just overwrite something in RAM belonging to Windows(e.g. after a game crash when right click on desktop the window was opened far away from mouse and other weird behaviors)
BUT reading above posts, HOPEFULLY D4 beta is not doing out of rage access on hard drive, e.g. corrupting other files there.

We are gathering information on the described issue here.

Same for me on a completely stock, non OC-ed XFX Radeon RX 7900 XT Merc 310, a card that’s usually running pretty cool.

Gigabyte Geforce 3080 card if i recall is flawed, hence it can die. Similar issue to what New World had, it’s the videocard manufactures that make flawed cards.

Was able to play for around 20 minutes before my monitors turned black, and i could not start my pc for around 20 minutes… and now my GPU is dead. 3080TI gigabyte… RIP

My PC still works, it didn’t get bricked. But it became laggy and sometimes became unresponsive. It was also kind of difficult to shut the diablo app down as everything was freezing up. After I was able to finally close the app, then my PC came back up and running as normal.

Posting to indicate I am having crashing issues, but with AMD GPU. Two crashes early beta last weekend total with 2 characters to lvl 25. So far 6 crashes today, lvl 7. Expect I would have many more crashes, but spent most of my time in queue. Not crashing from thermals, or PSU limit. Capping FPS didnt help. All drivers up to date (not just GPU). Other uncapped more demanding games run fine.

When I crash, it locks up Windows completely… its risky to keep hard shutting down so I will wait until asked to test, or a patch arrives.

Setup:
Windows 11 Pro 22h2
AMD R7 5800X
7900XT XFX
64GB RAM
1000W Plat Seasonic PSU (swapped to my backup identical PSU to test, no difference)

Thermals (capping FPS to 50 frames):
50C CPU
44C GPU

Thermals (uncapped, aggressive cooling profile):
60C CPU
56C GPU

1. GPU card vendor and model number: xfx speedster merc 310 rx 7900 xt
  2. Display resolution when running Diablo IV: 2560x1440
  3. Display mode (Windowed/Windowed Fullscreen/Fullscreen): Fullscreen
  4. Max Foreground FPS, Max Background FPS: 50/18
  5. Diablo IV graphic quality settings, preset with Low/Medium/High. Or more detail with custom settings.: High