Fenris error, crash upon crash for days

Same issue here, played early no problems until a few days ago and now it crashes randomly. The frequency of these crashes is infuriating. Same issues that others have described.

I have attempted to modify the chroma setting, fixed and repaired files, reinstalled game, reinstalled gfx drivers, reverted gfx drivers, cleared driver cache, disabled adaptive sync, set frame rate limits to 60fps, turned off all newer NVIDIA features.

Blizzard needs to fix this asap.

Please provide an update. this situation is really bad

Got gtx970 as well, but still having crashes(

Fenris FenrisDebug

LocalPrefs LocalPrefs

Great, and my ticket has just disappeared. I guess closed without notifications. Great job, Blizzard

I am facing the same issue as well on Windows 10 + nVidia 472.19 (HP Omen Laptop, Manufacturer provided driver).
My friend who bought the same exact laptop (as we got them on a good deal) is facing also the same issues but he opted for latest Win11 + Latest nVidia 535.98.

Can you guys press start and type “event viewer” and open it. Then click on Event Viewer (Local) on the top-left side.
Now, under “Summary of administrative events”, expand “Error” and look for “nvlddmkm” under “Source” column. Double click it. Me and my friend see many (~90-100) errors at exactly the same time (down to the second) as when the crash occured. All of them are a variation of:
“The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.”

• the only thing that changes between them:
    Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Multiple Warp Errors
    Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Out Of Range Register
    Graphics Exception: ESR 0x52dfb0=0x3000d 0x52dfb4=0x4 0x52dfa8=0xf812b60 0x52dfac=0x1104
    Where the numbers for GPC, TPC, SM change for each error, and also the hexadecimal numbers change for the ESR one.

Now, if you click again on Event Viewer (local), and again under summary, but this time expand “Warning” and Double click “Display” under Source column. Here we see 1 error per crash with the message:
“Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”
which points to the fact the nVidia driver crashes, which I assume the message we get in the FENRIS output “[Prism] Device removal detected” is making sense. From the point of view of the game, the driver which it needs shuts down.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the nVidia driver, or our hardware or anything, but all has to do with the game.
Again, we are talking about a 2 year old driver (mine) + the newest driver, all exhibiting the same exact errors.
I have no clue why this happens, is the game trying to call some invalid functions of the nvidia driver? Only Blizz knows, but that’s why I want to check if everyone has the same errors in event viewer, so we can provide as much detail as possible.

I want to add that besides this crash, for us the game is running perfectly, no overheating, no apparent issues up until it crashes, between every few hours down until even like 20 minutes.

1 Like

I have the same issue described already many times in this thread. I bought the early access version of the game on June 1 and got to play for dozens of hours without issue for the first week, but then one of the small patches around June 7 (sorry, I don’t know which one exactly) messed everything up. In my case the game crashes every 10 minutes :frowning: and I had no issues at all for the first week. This is terrible.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 7900X CPU, Radeon 6750 XT GPU, 32GB RAM, Windows 10.

1 Like

Hi @Seerix,

Yes, this is currently the information that Event Viewer is recording in my system every time there is a crash in Diablo 4.

While cycling through all the possible solutions I’ve come across on the internet (re-installing the graphics card, updating drivers, downgrading drivers, adding registry entries, performing a selective startup, re-installing the game, and a whole host of other things) the error message has changed slightly. For example in my original post, DX12 Fenris error - #24 by Stoneddragon-2396, the error was the following:
Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 2, TPC 3): Physical Multiple Warp Errors
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 2, TPC 3): Out Of Range Address
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x515e48=0xb000e 0x515e50=0x4 0x515e44=0xc5eb76 0x515e4c=0xe000000f

On another iteration the execption stated that a string was to large:
\Device\Video4
Variable String too Large
NVRM: Graphics TEX Exception on (GPC 2, TPC 0): TEX FORMAT
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x50ca24=0x80000000 0x50ca28=0x0 0x50ca2c=0x0 0x50ca34=0x0

The things that have remained consistent throughout is that there is warning stating:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
And that the first Error states:
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

My guess is that a patch release has resulted in a driver function being called with a parameter that is to large in some scenario. This is causing an exception in the graphics card driver causing it to crash. The game can then no longer access the driver so it then crashes. The driver recovers so you can then relaunch the game and repeat the whole process again.

Incidently you can see it in one view if you use Event Viewer → Windows Logs → System.

Cheers.

1 Like

Same fenris issue since Day 1. Reducing graphics settings and underclocking GPU help reduce the frequency of crashing, but the game still reliably crashes every 30-60 minutes. I can leave it running in town, come back to my PC, and it will be on the desktop with the error window.

Same. I’m running 4 rigs, and only my AMD (which is also my most recent build) crashes. Even my Deck is handling it like a champ.

Yesterday was fine, but starting from today when I try to open the game, it crashes and exits itself. A pop-up window appears with a message that says “Fenris” and something about an unexpected problem, along with a long code. I have tried reinstalling the game multiple times and have set up my Windows firewall to allow Diablo 4 to run. Since my PC only has one graphics card (RTX4090), the iGPU doesn’t apply to me. Sometimes, after reinstalling the game, I can enter it, but it crashes again after a few seconds. I have also tried using the “scan and repair” option, modifying the installation, deleting and reinstalling the high-resolution textures, but the problem persists. I have closed all other applications and browsers, but it didn’t work. Additionally, I have tried modifying the “LocalPrefs.txt” file and setting ‘1’ for the DiabloChromEffects, but it didn’t solve the problem. Another step I have tried is reinstalling the graphics card driver, but it didn’t work either.

1 Like

Today I installed 2 more sticks of ram (2x8) so now total of 32 and started getting the fenris error after just a few minutes ingame, hadn’t happened before (might have been pure luck :D). Now i have removed two sticks and left it with 16gb and played a few hours with no error. I’m kinda confused, is the problem with my ram or is it the game, don’t know if I should return the ram and get my mkney back or wait for blizzard to do something about it… :frowning:

1 Like

same thing is happening to me and ive tried everything. have yet to play the game bc i cant even get through the creating of a guy before it crashes

copied from another forum post.

Sadly a lot of people are having this error and there’s no real fix, some people have success turning off nvidia reflex, others turning off steam/discord overlay, others reducing the load of their VRAM by setting textures to medium / reducing resolution / ramping their GPU fan up to 100% at all time to cool the VRAM (GPUs don’t take VRAM temps into consideration for fan speed). with successes very mixed.

It does seem to be an issue with VRAM temps as this game is badly optimised and runs it HARD AND HOT. I’ve been arguing with support for days now and are refusing a refund because it’s been over 2hours (due to troubleshooting taking well over 2hours) which is unethical, shady, and here in Australia ILLEGAL (already reported them to ACCC).

The same issue. Please fix!!
Fenris: https://pastebin.com/bPrLayA2
LocalPref: https://pastebin.com/RhP5KzXm

Same Fenris error, I tried so many things that even reach level 90 lol , nothing helps, I tried all forums, youtube, google etc all of them starting from run as administrator up to writing new windows, driver settings, DLSS performance mode and so on and so on … As looking overall looks like there is critical issue where the Blizzard should be go straight to get this sorted before doing anything else, contacting Microsoft, Intel, Nvidia and rest of the part suppliers to make it work and this is urgent issue without questioning looking in overall how many people struggling with this issue. Just in case my pc setup below so there is no cry that game is to hard to handle it. Yes maybe its some not game related item more drivers or windows, however the money what you asking for the game you should be working without questioning. Hope you will sort this out quick instead of uploading new skins. P.S. Most of the crashing happens when you in town trying to teleport . Thank You

:large_orange_diamond:Processor - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-13900KS
:large_orange_diamond:Motherboard- ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
:large_orange_diamond:Video Card - ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X
:large_orange_diamond:RAM - DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6200MHz
:large_orange_diamond:Cooling - Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
:large_orange_diamond:SSD1 - Samsung 980 PRO 2TB
:large_orange_diamond:SSD2 - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
:large_orange_diamond:SSD3 - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
:large_orange_diamond:Keyboard - Razer Huntsman Elite
:large_orange_diamond:Mouse - Asus ROG Gladius II
:large_orange_diamond:Headphones - EPOS I SENNHEISER GSP 602
:large_orange_diamond:External Sound Card - GSX 300

I’m in the same situation as you. I have a 1080ti, and I changed the graphics card and replaced it with a GTX 660 that I had in the closet for years, and the game hasn’t crashed even once. I believe that the 1080ti is fine because it doesn’t fail with any other game.
I’d like to clarify that I have tried absolutely all possible solutions that appear on the internet, all of them. I have even opened 3 support tickets, and this is the only thing that has worked for me.
There must be some solution, perhaps by modifying something in the Nvidia Control Panel. The only thing I have left is that if I want to keep playing, I have to play with everything on low settings using a GPU from 2012.

Some codes that I had

EAD61988-FD59-48FF-A0A8-50566A115051
451FE72E-1929-4AA7-AE32-2F5709120E11
DC5BE144-4135-49D2-8BC8-C91E1A6EF538
7033F111-DB6F-4DC0-81C4-3442036D4E83
770C2669-F8CC-44A1-8779-0BF0F1076595
E51F8621-2248-4AF2-B968-51C91CAFCAA4
A7079BE8-FD6C-4E3E-BAE9-D73F5D78EE94
45701B31-D0EC-4308-9DC3-719B691219D0

Meaby it will help someone:
I spend over 40+hours to try all sugestions to solve crashes.
Now i finnaly have solotion : turn off xmp profile in bios. I put manualy timmings of ram and now 3x 6h+ sesions without crash, even with full load on vram. Before that i had crash from 5seconds to max 10min if dont tuch npc or teleport.

Edit/

xmp profile was tested on memtest and 0 errors.

1 Like

I also started to have this error 2 days ago. The only thing I had changed was that I unplugged my 3.5mm headphones and started using my bluetooth speakers. When I did that I started to get the Fenris error. I just unplugged my speakers and plugged my headset back in and have been able to play for over an hour now with no crashes. Before it would crash in less than a minute when I logged in.

19 days since topic was opened, no fix in reach it seems.
What is the next step? Requesting refund?

Give my solution a try, hope it helps you out - I have had no crashes, just done a 9 hour gaming session no crash: DX12 Fenris error - #34 by OhMyGod-21230

Can confirm this absolutly worked! Thank you so so so much!

Seems like my PC is “to fast” for diablo 4 so it out runs itself and crashes. It’s a memory related issue. I did build this PC 3 weeks before release. Problems started after the patch on the 14th. couldnt play longer than 30 min before the first crash, after that it happened like every 5 min. Totally unplayable.