Overheating on CPU & GPU

A quick google search will also return results for people convinced they have been abducted by aliens, or have encountered bigfoot, it’s not a reliable metric. Look at how many people are jumping on this thread with same issue, tens by the hour…?

Isolated incidents on from what I can tell, all custom built computers.

So you’re running a 12900k and not a 12900?

Most definitely not if you’re running a 12900k since you corrected wattage to 242.

I’m sporting a ryzen 7900x and it can quickly get to 80c under heavy load and will slowly rise a few more as the coolant gets a bit hotter if it stays there a long time, with a 360 aio and you think a 280 aio can handle a 12900k…

So I can run more demanding games near max settings, all day, all good but Diablo 4 is just too much at random Intervals…? Many people are having the same issue. Cpu & Gpu not even over 50%
The game is not optimised and its showing

You dont know what you’re talking about…

1 Like

No, you can’t.

Try running cyberpunk on max settings. Cyberpunk actually taxes the CPU & GPU, Diablo 4 does not. My CPU is running at a 50c in Diablo 4 with fans at 30% and my GPU is at like 42-50c, the fans aren’t even activating due to the low temperatures.

In Cyberpunk I’m at least hitting 70c on the cpu if I keep the same fan RPM as I have when playing D4 and my GPU can get hot as well.

im having similar issues. i have a slightly older setup

ryzen 3500x
gtx 1660super

and i have air cooling.

now i get the crowd that hyperfocuses on cooling solution and ambient temperatures and what not. most of the time those come into play.

but some people need to accept that sometimes, games can affect certain configurations differently.

for me its my cpu temperatures that spike up. even had one complete pc crash into total unresponsiveness. i believe it was due to temperature shutdown, but it was before i started monitoring stuff closely so i cant say for certain.

since then i monitored and my temperatures are … concerning. specifically cpu and gpu hotspot temperatures, being 20+ degrees above average, which is rare for me (i dont always monitor temps, but as soon as i get any issues i monitor tempts, voltages, ram/vram usages etc)

now this hotspot overheating is the first time i see this.

no other games, be they poorly optimized or legitimately more demanding than d4 causes my cpu and gpu hotspots to run this hot.

yes my cooling solution is not optimal. and redoing it with buying new shit would probably help. the fact remains, this game is the only one that necessitates this, so something is going wrong, or so i conclude

2 Likes

My laptop died when i talked to npc. Fans went crazy and latptop turn off. After that i read forum and find out that Diablo freezed game few tomes and always when i talked to npc. Never in battle. Latop was not hot, temperatures where okay. That power spikes that ar unnatural for hardware killed laptop. That’s all what i know. There was not burn smell. There was a lot of items and in short period of time i talked to vendor few times. Every time fans bursted for a second.

This game is dangerous to hardware and it is not connected to cooler.

Blizzard haven’t said anything here but i see a lot of “damage control” guys that are trying to hide problem and blame users.

1 Like

I wasn’t asking bro I was telling you. i can run RDR2, Rust, GTA V, BF5 & more with no issues… I have a 3070ti of course it won’t run well near max settings? This is Diablo 4 not cyberpunk

Same issue here. ASUS ROG STRIX 3080. And for the reddit users in this forums, yes I can run Cyberpunk 2077 at max settings - GPU never goes over 70 degrees with my current fan curve. Diablo 4 - 85 degrees and fan hoes up to 90%.

I have the same issue paat few days.

i cleaned, resit cpu and change thermal paste etc. i check my memtest,reinstall the game. cinebench stress my cpu(does not go pass red temp). timespy xtreme GPU(no red). played another game at higher settings. undervolt my intel CPU .
updated window 10 home
updated geforce experience
tried launching D4 from geforce experience

room was 20 degree C always as im in AC environment .
while my low end iris XE graphic laptop run fine without over heat.

my conclusion:

RTX 30 series card is the one getting affected,most people have 3070,3070Ti or 3080
it should be a compatibility issue with the GPU and the game.

i have my system for 2years + and i never seen my fan spinning at max speed for more than half the duration during gaming+streaming.

been scratching my head for a few days now. I did update my Bios last night as well and it was stable for abit. will update again if i found anything useful.

msi 3070 trio
AiO with 12 fans in o11D in 20degree C room temp.
32Gb ram and samsung 980 pro if someone finding fault with my memory

2 Likes

That’s a fault with the laptop dude. A power draw spike is typically dealt with by the system shutting itself down to protect itself the nanosecond it detects it’s about to happen. If the system allowed it to deliver that power and fry components, then that’s a hardware issue.

Can people stop using mental gymnastics to blame software for their hardware having a fault, its the 3080ti all over again.

1 Like

Did you try disabling Nvidia Reflex in graphic settings? It helped, although GPU still goes haywire when talking to vendors.

1 Like

Quick question, those with “overheating” issues and experiencing spikes at Vendor’s, what framerate are you running, have you capped your framerate and if not do you personally need over 100 frames on an Arpg. If anyone is using a 60Hz/144Hz monitor (the majority) and allowing their frames to go above these rates, sometimes double on higher end cards, then it’s unnecessary work your putting on the GPU and CPU that you don’t even visually see, and if they are working at 100% because you have not capped them then you will obviously generate more heat.

Same here 2070 asus rog strix overheating like hell which it doesnt suppose to be ( i mean 85 degrees cels when my gpu load is at %50-56 in cities and chaotic places where many ppl are together) My fps is capped to 72 btw i’m on a shitty monitor. I’m kinda veteran at this tweak stuff and let me tell you this ain’t normal. Happens at the vendors or when i mouse over an item more than 5-10 seconds the temp goes up like crazy. Other than that it has random ups and downs. Playing at 1080p max except textures on high dlss at quality not losing any fps when Gpu temp goes up load is the same just overheating for no reason. Really weird i hope blizz notices this

1 Like

Not at max settings.

Even if I uncap the FPS and get like 350, it only uses like 30% of my GPU and I’m playing on ultra 144 hz, 2560*1440 resolution. Diablo 4 barely pushes the GPU unless you’re playing on very high resolutions.

If you uncap FPS and it only uses 30% of the GPU then something is misconfigured somewhere or you have a serious bottleneck on your system, uncapped literally means your GPU works at 100% to push out the maximum.

I’m running a 7900x and a RTX 4090.

Diablo 4 is not going to do much to my system, even when I uncap the FPS, because it can’t utilize all the cores on a 7900x. It doesn’t even utilize half of them.

I’d have to either up the resolution or Diablo 4 needs to get better at core utilization for the GPU to get more usage.

I don’t have a monitor with a higher resolution and have no interest in it, so upping the resolution… that’s not going to happen.

1 Like

i had the same issue in world of warcraft and for me i realized when i was in front of portal of dungeons or places with fog for some reason the pc was overheating alot i guess they didnt optimize fog and particle density properly

also my fix in d4 is quite ez set it to 60 fps the game is meant to run at 60 fps any higher then 60 you wont notice and your pc will be silent and cool

Games can’t break cards, there are numerous safeguards in place to prevent it, however games can expose GPU defects, whether it be for that particular unit that just passed its QA and no more, or a manufacturing line defect as the games cutscenes exposed in the Gigabyte 3080 Ti’s.