Supreme Iron Maelstrom. Is it any good?

Hi everyone. I’m not sure I understand how it works. It reads: “Dealing direct damage to an enemy after swapping weapons reduces Iron Maelstrom’s cooldown by 1 second.”

1. Does this mean it only works with the 2nd and 3rd waves of Iron Maelstrom’s attack?
  2. It it cumulative? As in, if I damage 10 enemies with those, do I get cooldown reduced by 10 seconds?

This is one of those cases where the answers make all the difference between utterly worthless and quite handy.

Bear in mind, that Iron Maelstrom is the only way I have to trigger Walking Arsenal’s full bonus. But I don’t receive, nor want to receive, any other benefits from swapping weapons aside from Walking Arsenal’s.

Thanks for your time.

When you use a skill, that skill has a specific weapon selected. You can change them when selecting skills, look closely at the UI. When you use skills with different weapons, performing a “swap” will then reduce cd by 1 second. So if you have 2 different weapons used between 2 skills it will reduce your cooldown by a second for each.

Example:
2 basic skills in your bar. 1 uses 2h mace, other 2h sword. You will now get -1 cd when you use each after the other.

So, what you’re saying is, I only get the -1 cd once after each swap, when I deal damage?

1 swap, I deal damage… -1cd, regardless of how many times I deal damage. For another -1cd, I need to swap again. Is that right?

I know how weapon-swapping itself works. And I use the same weapon (2H bludgeon) for all my skills. As I said, I don’t swap weapons outside of Iron Maelstrom. So, it’d be pretty useless to me if it only happens 2-3 times, and only when doing Iron Maelstrom. Is that right?

I use the same weapon for everything, because it honestly doesn’t make sense to keep swapping outside of the benefits of Iron Maelstrom and Walking Arsenal. All my other weapons are significantly weaker on base damage. And the 1H weapons are ALWAYS significantly weaker than 2H, so using them often doesn’t make much sense either.

Different Weapons have different effects and unless it is your Primary Damage Skill, damage hardly matters, it is the conditional. If you do not swap weapons, that skills is the only thing making IM even remotely viable so I would suggest you skip it.

Is there a way to quickly, efficiently swap weapons outside of IM, so Supreme’s and Walking Arsenal’s full benefits are active more often?

Swapping the weapon for any given skill in the middle of the fight is extremely difficult and slow, so unless I’m missing something there… That’s not an option.

And changing any skill to a weapon other than my strongest one, and leaving it there… Again, it greatly ruins that skill. My 2H bludgeon is currently around 2600 base dam. It’s obvious none of the 1H weapons will come even close to that. Maybe HALF of that, tops. So, assigning them to any skill is effectively crippling it.

I have only one skill with weapon-based damage, where damage doesn’t matter to me (because I use it for other reasons): Leap. And I only use it sometimes, because using it a lot would ruin my flow. With its cooldown, and how slow it is in itself.

Are you trying to tell me, that the skills I use for damage (Lunging Strike, Upheaval, Death Blow) would still deal pretty much the same damage even if I switch from a 2600 base dam weapon to a 700 one? Sounds absurd, honestly. But then again, you could be right. This game’s mechanics are full of inconsistencies, thanks to how arbitrary each damage modifier is in its efficiency compared to the others.

So, once again: What am I missing, here?

It’s not like my build is broken. At level 62, I was already handling Tier 4 lvl 75 monsters with some significant difficulty (but far from possible). Once I abandoned Ground Stomp for Steel Grasp and WotBerserker for Iron Maelstrom, it got significantly easier. Even more so recently, as I was able to upgrade my 2H Bludgeon and I chose clearly better Aspects (Edgemaster, Disobedience, Audacity). Now, at lvl 74, I can work easily or decently against large lvl 84+ mobs in NM dungeons with plenty of elites with extra power. At the very worst, I end up using 8-9 of my potions (out of a total 12).

So, I’m not in need of some major overhaul. I’m just trying to improve efficiency within the current character concept, so I don’t literally waste skill points like the one in Supreme IM.