Blizzard, not everyone is angry

Dear Blizzard,

just wanted you to know that I find the Rewards Track and Achievements to be fine additions. Of course, being it the first version, it has its problems, but as an idea, they are both great.

What I like

• gaining XP even when losing is great, now, I can experiment and do not have to care much about when my decks are bad and unpolished
  • gaining XP from playing Battlegrounds and Duels - if this was not implemented, I would not play these modes much.
  • XP rewards from Achievements: these achievements are like mini-quests, some more challenges, very nice

What could be improved

• It would be great to gain XP and Quest updates from Tavern Brawls - I think they do not do that. It would be great if every PvP content would count.
  • It would be great to receive Achievement updates from Casual mode - the same reason as above. We do not want to damage our Ranked positions.
  • I have not made any measurements, but it seems that XP gained when winning could and should be significantly greater than from a lost game.
  • Communication: I would prefer to read info on the actual XP gains somewhere than doing measurements. Please, do some overview with details on what counts and how much.
  • XP gains should be displayed after each match. Right now, it is shown only when level is reached.
  • I think it would be great to have more XP-rewarding Achievements - from Game Modes/Battlegrounds at least, also in Gameplay, Classic could be added in a similar style as Darkmoon Faire is done. That would be nice - more mini-quests :slight_smile:

What should not be changed

• I think it is ok that some achievements are tied to some legendary or epic cards. The XP loss is not that big anyway.

Anyway, for starters, I would welcome

• more information from your side
  • bugfixes :slight_smile: I have read about lots of bugs, although I do not experience them myself with a few exceptions. Fix everything you can as fast as you can, people are really angry right now.

Thanks!

Ok, I know nobody from Blizzard will read this and that I will be shouted at now by other players, but I had to write this. In general, I’m quite happy with the changes and I hope for the new systems to be even better in the future.

9 Likes

Some very valid points there.

The main problems are that Blizzard promised the same gold, possibly more with the new system. Technically they are right but you have to play a ridiculous amount of time to get anywhere near what the old system provided.

I have played about 15 games today. I have not made any gold, or climbed a level. Under the old system, I would of got my daily quest plus 10 gold for 3 wins, today nothing. Ok, I get the satisfaction of playing as I love this game.

From level 50 - 150 is insane. Each level requires over 4000 xp and it goes up each level. Blizzard reckons you can earn 400 xp an hour. That’s 10 hours play time. Ok you get daily’s, weekly quests which will bring it down but it’s still an unreasonable ask as to wHt they are expecting.

I actually like the new battle pass but the XP reward is too low and we don’t get enough XP from quests. I have done a daily quest and played 15 games and not gone up a level. I am currently on level 25 and I paid for the extra pass as well so I get extra xp as well.

I am really hoping that they do something to change the xp rewards.

4 Likes

I think the ratio Blizzard is using is 3000 XP = 100 gold (confirmed by high-level gains + conversion rate between old and new quests). Apply that to your play-time and you can see whether you get more or less from playing than before - probably less. I’m curious what other sources of XP will Blizzard provide and what changes after this reaction of the player base will they implement. We have already seen one and I guess it is not the last one.

And thanks for the reaction, Jaguarpaw.

1 Like

The max it goes to is 4500 XP. From dailies/weeklies you get 13000XP if you do them without playing the game (not that you can do that). So assuming you spend 1 hour 15 a week doing quests, you’ll get 450 gold. Under the old system, you get 420 from dailies, so you have to win 9 games to earn the same amount. There are definitely weeks where I’ve played far more than 1 hour 15 and not won 9 games, which is why I think at the level 50+ point the system favours me.

The actually part where the grind sucks is before level 50. The final rank takes 9300XP before dropping back down to 4000XP.

I’m currently level 24 and I haven’t got the extra pass, but have cleared out some of the XP achievements. 7000XP worth of quests tomorrow, so will get to level 27.

It is jarring, but you are really underestimating how much gold you’re going to have made by the end of the expansion, because of days like today, when you’re what 100 gold down, whereas tomorrow you’ll be 200 gold up (plus an old pack), then down 60 gold, then up 90, down 60, down 60, pack down 60, down 60.

So by the end of next week you’re going to be 10 gold down but have 2 extra packs (1 old, 1 new). Then it comes down to how fast you win games on top of that as to how much extra gold you’re down. Judging by next week it’s bad, as like you say, you’d expect to win more than 15 games in 10 hours. But level 30 is the last tier that offers a non-gold reward. So now it changes to 290 gold up for the week (the 2 packs replaced with 150 gold each). But being negative because the XP per level goes up, let’s change that to 140 gold up. So on top of the 15 games per 10 hours you have to win, you also have to fit in an extra 42 wins a week to have been better off on the old system.

So do you win more than 57 games in 10 hours each week? 72 wins in 20 hours?

2 Likes

Yes, time will tell to see if we will be better off. We used to earn a lot more then 450gold under the old system as you get daily’s plus 3 win bonus. Probably 150 more, which is only 15 wins a week so that’s really conservative for some people. I usually play 10-15 games a week which is 70-105 per week. If I win 6 games a day that’s an extra 120 gold. That’s 1440 gold between expansions we are losing.

I really wish that’s had it removed that perk as as it does reduce our gold considerably.

Missed your last question. I do win more then 42 games a week.

600 gold would be 180 gold from wins so 54 in a week not 15.

6 wins day would be 140 gold a week, so for you it’s a really simple question (after level 50). On average you have to win a game every 14* minutes you’re playing to be worse off than you were. Total wise it’s still messy due to the pre-level 50 levels being all over the place XP wise.

*wait you have the pass, so you have to win a game in 80% of that as you get 20% bonus XP so every 11 minutes.

1 Like

Lol, all this maths is hurting my head.

From what I’ve read on Reddit, we seem to be a lot worse of but to be fair it could not be true so the proof will be at the end when we see how much spare gold we have. I usually have about 5000. I then buy the mega bundle and save brawls decks which usually nets me about 150 packs to open come expansion day.

They changed some of the later rank rewards, so there’s an extra 1350 gold now. Plus they announced that there will be extra xp events, which everyone cynically said “yeah now everyone’s complaining there will be” but there were gold events in the past so I’d always assumed there would be and these would just replace them.

2 Likes

Hello Activision employe.

2 Likes

My opinion on galakronds awaking being the most disgusting money grabbing, anti-player, thing they’ve ever done, begs to differ.

1 Like

Its 35% exp bonus from level 35 upwards.

This a rough work out from a causal F2P account

The old system

Weekly Tavern Brawl would give 1 free Classic pack this quarter that would be 17 packs.

Daily quest ranges from 50g to 60g per day with the odd chance of 100g or 80g. This quarter that works out at 145 days. On a minimum on the 60g over 145 days that 8700g.

Lets say you completed 3 win a day that’s 10g over 145 days with the odd take up of more wins of an average of 70 on top as a minimum. The total works out at 2145g.

The causal player would bring home 17 packs plus 10845g this quarter.

The minimum time played on a daily basis is less than a hour invested.

The new system

Presently under the Tavern pass tracker you get 12 packs

Quests on a daily if you reached level 50 would grant 5450g

The time played to roughly reach level is around 3 hours per day. This take in the bonus experience on events and promotions to reach level 50 by mid Feb/March 2021.

These are a rough work out allowing a 10% correction. The outcome from the old to new shows a F2P does not have the time. This model shows lack of research from a player base as new players will not join a game with little return for the player. The model shows a slow decrease in players leading to a 45% reduction to the present player base. This allows a revenue short fall of between 30% to 55% revenue loss for Hearthstone.

1 Like

that number looks really high…so for how long have your years had 435 days?

Also, tavern brawl still gives out the pack, you just can’t do dailies there, so that’s a weird thing to include as it’s a wash.

2 Likes

Under old system, I earned approximately 8000g + random classic packs from spectate etc (you forgot to minus them from your gold total)

Under new system:
12 packs - none classic
1 extra legendary (not gona count the 1st 1 as we’ve been given 1 for a while)
1 epic
2 arena/duels entries - min 2 packs + 5 dust if you auto retire them.

Dailies + weeklies get you to approximately level 55 (5450 + 750 = 6200)
Achievements get you 2 levels (can be 3 but that’s unreasonable) 6500 gold.
So I need 10 levels from play to be even in gold.
1 level = 12 hours (rounded negatively)
10 level = 120 hours
So I need to play for less than an hour a day.
I typically play for at least 30 minutes 4 times a week 1 hour once a week and 2 hours twice a week = 7 hours a week (well that’s ironic as i hadn’t actually worked that out :grin: )

3 Likes

Its a quarter meaning from release to next expansion strange you missed that.

Where are you getting 145 from? Have they announced the release date of the next expansion? I just divided 365 by 3 as there are 3 expansions a year as that seemed like a pretty solid estimate.

I have said its a F2P account if new players the first line gives it away. Its based on this quarter, I did not include the Tavern Brawl cards as with a new player sometimes they do not have the cards and Achievements was not included as you do not have them. On that note next expansion release the Achievements wont count as they counted towards this expansion I do not think it will reset every expansion. Its a loss on 2/3 levels then making it worse. Also you F2P does not buy the Tavern pass as well.

Experience has a F2P on a number accounts I averaged around 10k per quarter for a hour a day in the old system. I will not be playing those accounts as its not worth the time sink. In fact HS has lost out on a lot of revenue.

Remember its not personal its just a up take on the old and new system for a new F2P experience. In all honesty can you say in a few months which it will take as no one really knows how its going to work out on this new system. The data at present shows its a net lose in game time and gold. This is across the board and looking back come Feb 2021 and you think back just think on this post.

What does “based on this quarter” mean? There were way less than 145 days between schoolamance and darkmoon and we don’t know when the next expansion is.

You might end up being right but now I just want to know where you’ve got this fictional number from?

Based on from release date till the end of March 2021