Few thoughts on how card draw is sequenced

…and not randomized. I’ve been playing the game for a couple of years now, have hundreds of games with each of my decks, more than 10k matches in total. And never until this patch have i been as struck by the rate at which “curious” things tend to happen depending on the matchup. Let’s take a standard cyclone mage deck for example:

• (negative) drawing sea giant versus control warrior before mulliganing
  • (positive) sea giant is drawn in the first 4 turns vs. druid
  • drawing 2 x arcane intellect before 4th turn while having the coin
  • not drawing any arcane intellect, or other draw mechanism before 4th turn when coin is missing
  • mulliganing the exact same cards (mostly 1 out of 2, rarely 2 out of 2), or drawing the shuffled cards in the first 2 turns after mulligan
  • percentage of matches where 4th turn finds you with 3 doubled cards in your hand

On the other side of the table, opponent playing a deck with two hard removals (such as hunter), usually draws both from the top half of the deck. Warrior finds both brawls at a similar rate than hunter, maybe a bit slower. High impact cards which heavily influence the win rate of the decks they’re played in, such as Paladin’s Kangor’s Endless Army, or Hunter’s Zul’Jin are usually drawn well before the late game.

The most visible issue i see with the card draw involves drawing doubles (moderate and high cost ones) in the very early stages of matches. I see the same decks being played in tournaments and these situations are not as frequent, also because mulliganning appears to work better. This leads me to believe there are separate card draw algorithms on ladder vs tournaments. And as far as the ladder is concerned the card draw is tweaked in order to control win rates for every class.

Sure there will be people claiming this is just personal bias, but after a high number of matches with the same decks any decent player should be able to see that the probabilities tend not to apply and that there is a certain amount of control imposed on how a match develops for both opponents.

6 Likes

Meh, I prefer to believe the millions of games worth of data we have from independent sites like hsreplay that show it isn’t rigged.

2 Likes

I’ll gladly analyse data if you provide it. If not, sorry but I can’t take it as anything else but confirmation bias.

3 Likes

pretty much this
debating on this kind of subjects has really no point
you can’t even go “The book stated that every human outside the walls was killed, if the book were to be objective it would have gone: “Every human outside the walls has probably been killed” so the book was meant to …”
which is so obsessive if you ask me…
btw our philosophy teacher claimed to be apolitical and after I saw that " " part I posted above in a series I started making a analysis on what and how she told us in that style because she also told us that teens are easily manipulated, they like protesting but they don’t always know why and for what they are protesting. Maybe that’s what we do here on the forums, protest, for what? who knows…not me…I never lost control
I always loose control
I had a little bit too much cocoa and now I’m all over the place again

1 Like

@Vlad: How would you propose we do that? I should record every game i play for the next two months and then follow-up? Too lengthy. Tell you what: since everyone plays warrior on ladder these days, I’d suggest you track the number of times Dr. Boom is drawn by your opponent before the mid deck is reached. If the percentage is higher than 50% (and it will be) you have your first clue.

Mate, I’m not making any claim, you are. Shifting the burden of proof to me does nothing. I have nothing to prove, I’m not claiming anything.

I’ve made claims in the past. As an example I claimed that the number one decision that impacts ladder performance is to pick a fast deck. I got the data, did the analysis and even did a video on it.

If you want your claims to be taken as anything but confirmation bias, you have to do the work. Don’t shift the burden of proof on me or anyone else because it’s too much work for you.

Peace.

3 Likes

Where can I read among all millions of data that HS is not rigged?
I’m sure it is.

An example of this is when you open packages. You have at least one blue rarity card. The static also speaks about 1 legendary card per 18 pack. For me, this says quite clearly that Blizzard manipulates the game so that it fits them.
Imagine if everyone would open packages and that all cards were legendary cards. This game is certainly Blizzard’s biggest gold calf and it brings millions of dollars to their shareholders. The more people playing, the bigger their dividends will be to the owners. I am sure that there are more algorithms that control part of the HS to increase Blizzard’s profits.
What is rigged can be difficult to prove but what CruxMatris writing is quite possible and no impossibility that some try to proclaim.

…well seeing as because of the mulligan the probability is that they should have it 64.4% of the time, that’s not really a clue. It’s about 50% (49.6%) for turn 10 if they go first, obviously better odds if they go second.

Well hsreplay currently has stats from 4,029,026 games. If you have premium you can compare them direct, if not you have to sift through each deck individually. Or you can go full tin hat and actually check every individual game.

You have contradicted “a claim”, you’re as compelled to provide proof as I am. I’ve made my observations based on my personal experience, you can do that as well if you want “proof”. I already gave you an option, it’s not rocket science.

I’m not here for any pissing contest, take it or leave it.

No mate, I have not, I just didn’t accept your claim. I’m in a neutral position where no claim is made. I don’t want to sound patronising as I’m not in such a contest as well, but I do a lot of debating and this is how a discussion goes. You make the claim, you have the burden of proof.

You can say that you believe that and that’s that. I’m cool with that and we go our way. But for someone scientifically skeptical as I am, I need evidence.

If you don’t mind (and I swear I’m not trying to attack you here, I’m doing my best to have a friendly discussion) check these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof_(philosophy)#Holder_of_the_burden

Cheers.

You did though. But that’s fine.

He didn’t though. He just said he’d be glad to sift through the data OP would provide if they were willing to do so.

First learn what randomized mean. 2nd don’t tell me that you’ve forgot to put tinfoil hat on.

So how is that not a claim?
He claimed:

1. He could analyze the data when provided with them.
  2. If not, it’s just confirmation bias.

He means it well, but it’s quite arrogant and adds nothing.

I dont get it…

I mean its true isnt it?

The original claim was made by the op. Wasnt it?

Vlad said if there is evidence he can look at it.

If there is no evidence then its ops opinion.

Am i getting it wrong in some way?

To anyone replying to Chicharito in my defense, please note that he has replied to me many times, calling me out and I have not replied to him. I’m ignoring him on purpose because, as the late Christopher Hitchens once said “I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you come unarmed.”

I don’t know the reasons why he calls me out so often, but I don’t find the dialogue he tries to establish either technically compelling or intellectually challenging enough to reply.

Hence, I ask you to not reply in my defense.

1 Like

True or not had nothing to do with it. But it’s not worth it, I’m sorry.
The patronizing tone triggered me a little.

See, there it is again.
Quite hilarious.

To be honest, I haven’t seen him react this personal to anyone else, so this is just confirmation I’m hitting a nerve. People who are proud, i.e. “I’m so amazing at discussing things and being rational”, usually don’t like being confronted with their own wrongful thinking.

1 Like

what a surprise ahhaahahh

those people are often wrong but shut up quite well
not saying Vlad is, I never managed to make him snap from his…whatever I shall cal it but I’m also to scared to try XD

1 Like

Well ok then i respond because i want to know the train of thought here.

I dont even try to take side of a person at all.

But i take comunication very seriously as well and if you try to read posts without looking on the name who wrote it and with the sound of morgan freemans voice we all would read stuff very differently here.

So i agree that who makes the claim has the burdon of proof

Thats what i was refering to.

Its generally a bad idea to try to snap peopke who usually dont snap theres a reason why they dont.

Its like the people who are always sad have the brightest smile and the people who never cry do it when noones watching.