Make arena free with lower rewards

I played legends of runeterra for awhile. What i loved was their approach on not only card collection, but also their arena system, which is called expeditions instead. You could pay for arena or get tokens so you have higher rewards, but if you wanted to play it rather than standard you could. When you played it without paying or having a token you would get lower rewards, but you could still play it all the time.

I think this could be a good system for arena players and also newcomers so they learn the cards. Also people would get a better understanding about what works in arena without spending money and eventually lose money on it. I feel it can become some kind of gambling issue aswell. there have been many times ive been frustrated over an arenarun and i just end up paying for a new one out of anger.

What do you guys think?

As someone who was at one point “good” at arena, it’s a good idea for people who only want to play arena, but they don’t care about rewards and terrible for anyone who wants too use arena as a way to build their collection, simply because arena runs take so long to do. So you need the rewards to be high (the gold minimum at 2 wins and 6 wins should be higher) even if you seem to be constantly losing gold. It doesn’t take long to get to the point where you average way more that the 150 gold you put in and if you need more that that, you end up spending so much time playing arena, that you don’t get to use the stuff you’ve earned (150 worth of stuff as in pack + gold + dust, getting and average of 150g + extras take a lot of effort to get good enough at arena).

Also it obvious can’t be free to enter as you can just concede runs/games so there has to be an on average negative reward for going 0-3, otherwise the people will just AFK arena over and over again.

I’m with you on this, but i feel there will be the same consequences that Ixnay is listing.
I would love Arena to be free to play as a mode. Spending 150 gold just to play a very long run, where at the end you gain not that much, considering you have to do well and sort of play with a competitive mindset is not that good. I love the mode, but this way it’s not pushing me to play it constantly or with high interest. So yeah, if it was free i would totally be onboard with it and would play it more regularly to change gamemode and have a break from Standard/Wild or BG.
But as Ixnay says, it’s a system that then promotes people to quit. I already think the quest system we have at the moment ruins a little bit the game, cause sometimes i would like to play and i get an opponent that just spams cards or damages himself cause he’s probably just doing a random quest. So if this mentality already exists in the normal game, can’t imagine how it will apply to Arena with the prizes even with zero losses. At that point Blizzard should put no prizes, or negative ones, for like the first one or two wins at least, and that is a bummer if ever you get a bad run and lose (but at least you didn’t spend gold).
My proposition, if they ever think of putting it free, is to make that you don’t get prizes the first win or two, then make the prizes higher. Even free it’s a long process and it’s not really worth it that much in my opinion. If there were other ways to check those who just want to lose three games on purpose that would be great, but i find it hard.
It’s difficult to say what is the best direction to go with. But it’s a nice thought and idea, the problem is the balancing of the prizes and the high risk of afk players abusing the system.

lower rewards?! lower than rewards we get in arena we pay for?! that’s like what? zero gold,one pack with four standard useless cards and one rare useless card? five arcane dust and one pack with same useless cards as always? please…no! have mercy on us!

That’s the point of this suggestion, I think. If you remove the upfront fee, then the reward can’t be kept as good because you’d essentially be making packs free as a result.

This way you could pay for the ability to get higher amounts of rewards if you felt confident in your ability to play the mode while keeping the choice of playing for less without having to pay at all.

It probably would result in a lot of conceding players because they drafted a bad deck until they have a good one.
Wich in turn people would not play the game but mostly trying to high roll.

I avoid casual play and always play in ranked mode because if the first few turns dont work out for people they instantly concede.
I think the same will count for arena without any penalty involved.

1 Like

They would have to revamp the current arena system, paying for an arena run i think they should have higher rewards! then have a free mode with lower rewards. I love playing hearthstone more than legends of runeterra, but they have a way better approach to earning your cards. Also their arena system works better where you have a possibility to swap cards youve drafted with another one. When you draft a deck aswell you pick buckets of three cards that synergises with one another.