New player friendly?

So I came to the game cause people were like, Hearthstone is awesome and really cool game to pass time. (Or so I thought).

I’ve played 3 days now, yeah perhaps not enough to give an honest opinion on it but when you start I’m assuming the ranks you start at are for beginner players to get through? right? Now… I’ve won 3 out of 24 games… using the Unholy Deathknight free deck given but I’m constantly facing decks which require a heavy amount of money through packs… and I know this because I researched decks online. So explain to me, Hearthstone Devs (which, perhaps you won’t as you’re from blizzard and don’t take your community into account)… how is this game new player friendly? Or casual for that matter?

Do I need to spend an absurd of money on 60 packs (which to be fair is WELL overpriced for something like this) to enjoy the game?

Or is there any possible way for you to play without losing over 20+ games to get through the beginner ranks to earn packs?

If not, I won’t even try to continue playing.

As someone who has been playing since 2015, there is no way for me to compare my experience as a new player to what new players get now. And yet I want to post some comments.

Blizzard can do a lot of things to make the game friendlier to new players. And they have in fact done a lot of things… Such as the new player ranks, where you cannot lose ranks, and where you will not play against people like me with a several-years old account. And such as giving starting players way more free cards, decks, and packs than they did when I started playing.

But what they cannot do, is stop new players from instantly whipping out their credit card to buy the “best” (according to whatever site they use) decks, so that they can get easy wins and feel smug about themselves. What they cannot do, is prevent experienced people from making a new “smurf” account to stomp on noobs - I’ve never understood why some people consider that fun, but those are your fellow world inhabitants. And what they could in theory do, but will not do in reality, is enhance the matchmaking to not only look at current rank but also at money invested. (The reason they’ll never do this is that this would essentially punish players for spending money, and no business will ever knowingly do that).

When I started playing, back in 2015, I was rank 20 (then the lowest rank, equivalent to Bronze 10 in the current system). I had the “Standard” (equivalent to what is now “Core”) cards, plus what I found from perhaps a handful of decks I had bought from gold earned from daily quests. And I, too, faced decks that were clearly heavily credit-card funded. And also faced players that were clearly more experienced than I was. I lost more than I won.

But I kept playing. When I faced the umptieth player who had all the best legendaries (Dr. Boom was renown in those days!), I made it my goal to resist the unavoidable win as long as possible, emoted “Well played” at the end while thinking “Well paid”, and took pride in my own progress if I had managed to beat them down to closer to death than the previous whale. When I got beaten down by a more experienced player, I learned from how they punished my mistakes. And when I won, especially when I won against a better (or richer) player, I was truly proud of myself - even when in some times some lucky draws were part of the reason I won.

I never stopped playing. I never stopped completing my daily (and later also weekly) quests. Without ever sinking a single penny in my account, my collection grew, my amount of free dust grew. And my gold grew in between expansions, every time enough that I could afford to buy 50 or 60 packs upon expansion release.

I played Arena, and took what I learned there to Ranked. And I played Ranked, and used my experiences there to improve my Arena games. And I always, every week (* except during Heroic Brawl weeks), would play Tavern Brawl for the free pack.

My card collection grew, my dust grew, enabling me to craft cards that I wanted for some deck. And my skill grew as well. My highest rank in the old system was 3. In the current system, my highest is Diamond 4. With perhaps three to five games played per day, distributed among Ranked, Arena, and Tavern Brawl, I don’t think I will ever reach Legend, simply because I don’t play enough games per month to get there. But I feel that if I would invest more time and effort into it, I would by now be able to reach Legend.

Hearthstone is, in my opinion, not a game for those who seek quick wins. Unless you are prepared to sink a lot of money - and those who do will typically find that even having all the cards money can buy will not take them past a certain rank, until they increase their skill.
But if you can enjoy even the games you lose, if you are prepared to look at losses to see what you could have done better, and if you enjoy a game that can challenge you to become better over time, then Hearthstone is, in my opinion, a great game.

1 Like

Well, I’m not being funny but Blizzard should put a system in place that when you purchase a certain amount of packs you aren’t allowed in the beginner ranks whatsoever and it kicks you to the main ladder instantly. It’s absolutely ridiculous against people who are just starting in the game to go against people with no lives and able to spend hundreds on cards.

I can never understand people sayin “Oh he paid money to get the op deck”.
First u should be able to craft most of decks with the stuff u get, at least almost! I would like to know what deck u cant craft! For example its guaranteed that u get a legendary in the first 10 pack of every type. With that ez. I got Alexandros Mograine in my first 3 packs and almost had a standard blood DK deck. I didnt pay any money!
Second what op decks? Can u call them?! Cause the only deck comes to mind is Pure Paladin. And this is with all 4 legendarys. You really dont need them all.
Frost DK is one of the best decks right now and u get almost every card through the core set.
I really hope for new players to join cause i enjoy this game a lot, but i feel like most of the people just blame the bad system and maybe misjudge their skill. The only thing i can say is that there are a lot of very experienced players that create new accounts^^
I can only recommend arena. It has some rng, but u can always win with good draw/draft! And maybe u learn something. Or just watch youtube videos. TBH Trump is not the ideal to watch for good decks xD Trump is more for entertainment, but also has some very good F2P series. Rather watch Savjz or Thijs if u want decks that can win consistently! Im playin Big Demon Hunter right now and its not the best deck out there but a lot of fun. Still got me to Legend :slight_smile:

I got no legendaries in the first 26 packs you get, so, not being funny but thats lies. Yeah I could play frost deathknight or any deathknight deck but the whole concept of that class is boring, ridiculous and stupid… just like World of Warcraft and yes I can call what OP decks I’m on about -

Shadow Priest, Paladin, Unlimited spell mage or whatever it is called. Some other deck which priest has unlimited removal and unlimited discovering card… now, there is no way in hell they got them from the first 26 packs you get at the start of the game.

New players get to play with Loaner decks. They’re all powerful and competitive.

Pick a loaner deck you like at the end of the offering period, and you get to keep it with all cards in it.

1 Like

Thats not until you hit the main ranks I’ve been told but the 30 beginner ranks you can’t

So you want Blizzard to punish those who spend money and reward those who play for free?
You seem not to understand how businesses work.

How is it punishing them? You spend a certain amount on the game and you get kicked to Bronze (aka main ranks) and the people who play for free can experience how the game is against people who don’t spend alot of money on a game. It’s not rewarding or punishing, know the difference mate.

That’s not how matchmaking works in this game. You’re matched by win rate, not by the number of cards in your collection. The more you lose, the weaker your opponents become, and vice versa.
It’s Hearthstone’s dynamic difficulty, so to speak.

2 Likes

So, losing 24 times should give me decks which are not built by money? lol

U get a legendary in the first 10 packs for every pack type! Standard ones! I made a new account 2 weeks prior. And why are we still talking about people that paid money for their smurf deck. U can create every single deck if u follow the above. But u have to decide on one deck.