Solo "Adventures" have no balance at all

Frustration bought me here.

Firstly, let me say - I don’t need any comments from die-hard HS fans who have somehow managed to complete every aspect of the game. I am not here to troll or even to post replies to anyone who replies to this topic. I am here to voice my opinion and hope that the developers will realise how bad they are at designing a game.

The so called “solo adventures” of HS are completely without balance. You go from one boss which is so easy to beat, that you can literally sleep through the match… to the next boss being so insanely difficult that you might as-well delete the game, because it will lead you to an infuriated state of unenjoyment. Even if you manage to pass that boss, you will not feel any amount of enjoyment for having done so.

Let me give you a prime example of what I mean… Ashes of Outland, Challenges, Magtheridon! Absolutely pathetic!

Do You, Blizzard, honestly expect me to sit there for hours on end to pass this one boss? Crafting deck after deck, doing endless battles with each deck until the random number generator finally decides to give me my cards in an order which will allow me to win against the totally over-powered hero power of this computer controlled opponent?

And this isn’t the only boss which has such an insanely imbalanced set of cards and hero power.

So far, in countless years of playing hearthstone, I have only managed to complete a few of the solo adventures.

In “The Frozen Throne” adventures, I cannot even get past “Lord Marrowgar”. It is a complete joke. If I cannot get past one of the first bosses, then do you honestly think I am likely to spend money to face the rest?

In “Karazhan” I completed the first wing on normal mode, then tried the heroic mode and class challenge, only to find they are so insanely difficult that I cannot be doing with wasting my time on them… Never mind my money!

I recently purchased the “The Dalaran Heist” expansion, simply because it was at a discount price, and you get the “Zayle, Shadow Cloak” golden legendary card with the purchase. Managed to play through the first wing of the story mode with the paladin, but that took far too much of my time. Managed to win enough to get the card packs out of the first 4 wings… That’s all. No point in wasting my time trying to get the rest, as it will take me about a year of playing before the random number generator allows me to maintain a winning streak against 8 randomly chosen Over Powered bosses.

My point here, is that if you actually want myself and other players like myself to spend more money on this game, then you need to balance the difficulty of the solo adventures. There is no ramp to the difficulty of the game. You win so easily, or you burn so hard. It is frustrating, and not fun at all. Like I said, even when you win against this faceroll fest, you don’t feel any enjoyment, because by that time you feel like you are owed the win. Your response is “finally, ffs! What a complete waste of my time for something so unrewarding!”

Finally, let me just say, I don’t care for the die-hard HS forum dwellers coming saying “you just don’t know how to play the game” or “read what to do on forums and watch youtube videos, or install third party apps which keep track of cards”… Because it is supposed to be a game. Supposed to be something which can be enjoyed without needing to study hard and dedicate my life to. I do understand the mechanics of the game, I am not an idiot. So please do not imply that my opinion doesn’t count, simply because you possibly would like the game to be more difficult, or you find it easy as anything. I am here to state my opinion, that is all.

What I do like about the game, is being able to collect cards, and play against my brother and my friends. The game has a lot of potential to be fun, but the imbalance of the game lets it down.

3 Likes

I believe that some encounters are purposely hard and not meant to be completed easily.

I think that is fair considering they are “heroic”

You will get there!
Just take your time, there is no rush to finish them

2 Likes

Thank you for the inspiring words of confidence, however, as I said - there is no ramp to the difficulty. I would expect the bosses to become gradually more difficult as I progress. Sadly that is not the case.

Also, in the “adventures” which have 8 bosses in a row to beat, you can get “randomly” wiped out on the first boss even. So how do they expect you to beat 8 in a row, without giving you some way of saving your progress? Spend all year on each expansion?

The real answer is that they can’t cater to everyone. Personally I like that there is hard content that is challenging for me and if they catered to the difficulty you wanted I would literally beat them all first time. That’s not me trying to brag or anything just pointing out that there isn’t really a solution. Take the latest challenges for example. For me they have started hard and have got progressively harder which is what you’ve asked for, but for you you’ve found the first boss impossible.

My advice would be to just ignore the solo content if you don’t enjoy it. For me the Dalaran Heist looked too similar too the stuff that had come before, so I played through the free chapter a few times and then left it alone.

1 Like

I can only agree with Ixnay.
It’s a game programmed to appeal to a really wide and big audience, every person different in playstyle, what they prefer and how they think. And sometimes it’s just a matter of understanding something, or realizing a weak point that can be dealt with. I play Hearthstone with some friends, it happened a lot that we would have different opinions on different bosses, where they found them easy or hard and me the opposite. And then we would even work together to understand and overcome those challenges.
I haven’t completed all the singleplayer content. I’ve beaten for example all the Frozen Throne, Lich King included with druid, just need to kill him with the other classes and unlock Arthas. Don’t have the mind or the time, but nothing is stopping me from asking here on the forums for the best deck to build, or guides that can be of help. You say that you want the game to be fun without needing outside help, then you probably don’t really care that much. If you really want to finish a game, not only Hearthstone, and you’re stuck you seek help, you confront with other players and friends about it.
And the challenges at the moment are really really hard for me. Don’t think Blizzard is horrible at making the game thou, i’ll just try again in the future, maybe ask what strategies people here did, and will do them one day. As Ixnay said, there is no need to do them, you can ignore them, i’m not going crazy cause i haven’t beaten Rastakhan Rumble (for me, that is difficult, but it’s just me, everyone else i know did it) and there is still time in the future. And i don’t see whats wrong or annoying in looking for a solution or asking, it seems you have the time to rant about it, you could ask for solutions and help with the same time and effort.
People should stop thinking in an egocentric way about games. If a game is too hard, is not enjoyable or not your jig just try another, play other games, the world is full of them. It’s impossible for any company to create something that everyone can enjoy, not talking about videogames but anything.

As someone who has done majority of solo adventure content, heroic included, I cant agree with some points you made for example you beat normal karazan but then couldnt beat “heroic” and decided against getting the rest… the point of heroic is there meant to be hard challenges and trust me even if I beat them they are hard however there optional, beating heroic is just a card back and as with every solo adventure it says “not for the faint of heart” in their descriptions.

As for frozen throne your not wrong, that solo adventure is very difficult especially once you get to lich king… so much sanity lost trying to beat him with all heros

As for recent adventures such as the beat 8 bosses stuff they arent necessarily hard but your still right as they are heavily rng based

As for anything else I’m just repeating what ixnay or seppy said

Side note

From my experience you made the correct choice, took me a month and I lost a lot of sanity doing it

Ignoring Solo Adventures, would indeed be missing out on half of the game.

Let me give an example to make it more clear what I mean about “difficulty ramp”…

I had to rematch some of the bosses in the “Ashes of Outland, Trial by Felfire - Story mode”. But then I completed Illidan Stormrage on the first battle against him. The one which should have been the hardest was one of the easiest.

Go from that onto Heroic mode and I wouldn’t expect it to be very much more difficult to do than the normal mode. More challenging yes, insanely more difficult bordering on impossible = No!

In the “Ashes of Outland, Challenges” Magtheridon is the third boss out of 9. His Hero Power costs 1 Mana and does 10 damage. He kills you by 5 Mana crystals. How is that even remotely fun? Unless you have a rigged priest deck which restores health to full each round, and resurrects every minion which died, with all of the Legendary minions which you see in a priest deck in Wild mode.

It is too overpowered. It is not balanced. It is impossible. It should be nerfed. Just as Marrowgar should be nerfed.

People made similar arguments about World of Warcraft in the past. So now, Raid content in World of Warcraft has 4 different difficulty modes.

But people had to make that argument, countless times, over and again, before Blizzard took note and decided to listen. Blizzard do not have the basic intuition which would allow them to make good, well balanced games from the start.

If they made the Solo Adventures more playable, then more people would invest in this game, and then they could hire more staff and think about adding different levels of difficulty modes, in a way which would actually work for the majority of players.

Hearthstone used to have daily quests which would reward Classic Card Packs. It used to be a more rewarding game to play. I don’t expect to have to spend all of my spare time on this game, in order to win “a card back”. There is no equal reward for the time which must be invested.

I genuinely beat Magtheridon first try with a basic paladin murloc deck. I recognized that I couldn’t let him use the hero power, so had to get on the board early to stop whatever it was spawning and because it was an auto-cast hero power I also knew he would be behind every turn by 1 mana. Admittedly doing it first time means I have no idea of how tough it actually is but seemed like any board centric aggro deck should beat him before he gets going.

You thing the solo content is half the game? It’s literally tacked on fluff for the vast majority of the player base.

Not sure how they make more money by trying to get the play base into the solo content and away from buying packs?

The daily quests on average are way better than they used to be as they take way less effort (play 3 instead or WIN 5 for 60g for example) and you still have the spectate pack in the rotation. The only other packs were tied to adventures which have all rotated.

Also bear in mind that the heroic bosses in the fights where you bring your own decks, aren’t there for replayabilty like the the proper solo adventures. It’s just a case of find a way to beat this annoying boss once, so you can move onto the next. If you can’t make a deck yourself which beats a boss, check youtube, you will find a way there and be done with the ridiculous bosses forever.

Well I finished the Magtheridon, and the other bosses of the challenges. It took me much longer than I would have expected.

Mag finally went down the first time I used the classic demon hunter deck against him. After having tried a lot of other decks, a lot of times… But it seemed as though it “let me win”. With the boss not taking every attack it had available to it even. It was weird. While before it was trashing everything I used, before I even reached 7 mana (on average). The other bosses were not so time consuming.

Even after having completed all of the heroic challenges of “Ashes of Outland”, my opinion still hasn’t changed. It took far too long.

I still don’t understand why you bothered to complete it, but congrats nether the less :slight_smile:

It’s rigged 100% Ignore everyone who says it’s not.

1 Like

Sounds like taking down a boss in a WoW raid :slight_smile: