Why Priest is always at the bottom of the meta?

Why Priest gets cards each expansion that do not have any synergy?
Why Priest always gets experimental useless legendaries?
Is it fair that Priest always have 45% average win rate?

1 Like

I don’t see the things the same way, hunter’s been dead (I am exaggerating, it was at least very weak, only sometimes gaining a bit of popularity like zoolock does cause it’s cheap and easy to play) since Firebat became champion and until Raztakan’s rumble, now it is its turn to shine, priest has been fairly decent for a while now. I think priest is bad at the start of every new expansion as it is usually a control style of deck with a huge finisher (look at Reno, Razakus, Gallery, Dragon, Hakkar and Wall Priest) there was also the Dragon Priest from mean streets and a few zoo priests in Knights of the frozen throne which were either lingering between tier 1 and 2 as well as Spiteful Priest which was tier 1 for a bit then solid tier 2 for a wile, lingering as well, those were midrange builds, all rather good.

I personally believe priest is deemed to be bad for a while after each rotation, the kind of decks that it can have need a lot of support and cards like Holy nova can’t fulfill the roles of AoE, and Mind Blast alone can hardly be a finisher. I’m sure that latter on this year priest will be good again (next expansion, the other one?) until then you might want to visit wild, priest has been so oppressive there that people make hate decks to beat it.

I hope this helped.

Sorry but a class that have tier 1 archetype once per 3 expansions is a very very week class. There are classes with 2-3 tier 1 archetypes each expansion!
You mentioned few good Priest archetypes for the last 9 expansions but there are classes that have that much good archetypes in a single expansion!

I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. I honestly can’t think of many classes that have multiple tier 1 archetypes every expansion. Admittedly hunter has 2 tier 1’s this expansion. Last expansion priest actually had 2 tier 1 archetypes at one point with wall priest and resurrect/mindblast priest both being extremely strong (you could even argue there were 3 because the dragon priest deck I was playing easily carried me to rank 3 but it just didn’t seem to gain any popularity), but most of the other classes only had 1 at best

Well, Priest usually get tier 1 archetype only at the end of each expansion after the other classes are nerfed.
Yes, you can climb ladder with good Priest deck but only at the end of the month when the players using strong archetypes from other classes are already legends.
Each expansion Priest is at the bottom of the meta.

Players base their deck lists in strategies to beat the tournament meta, which is different from ladder meta. A off-meta deck that gets everyone by surprise can do wonders, e.g. when Thijs used Anyfin Paladin, Paladin was one of the worst (if not the absolute worst) classes in the game.

All this to say that being T1 or maybe not be relevant for tournament line-ups.

Regarding Priest specifically not getting much action in tournaments, is related, IMO, with the lack of strong winning conditions. I agree that Raza Priest was the exception exactly because it had a win condition. Other than that, Priest has had good decks to counter some archetypes. Dragon Priest back in the day is a good example of this.

1 Like

tell me a case of a class having 9 good archetypes in a single expansion

EDIT: also note that priest was used multiple times in tournaments the past year with gallery and wall priest and earlier with dragon control-combo/priest
Now that I think of it I’m afraid you get caught in the moment and generalize forgetting the major exceptions to your statements.

Hunter for example had mech, face and deathrattle then died in Whispers, got revived with midrange hunter in U’G, died again until K&C where it had a top deck with recruit and a border line bad deck with spell hunter, in Witchwood it had spell and recruit as tier 1 and 2 decks, also lingering there, then it had in Boomsday secret midragne as good tier 1 and 2 decks and deathrattle which was a weak wanna be, then in Rumble we got the Master’s calling variants of midrange and now we have had mech hunter
Can you say hunter was OP based on this? Or that it was worse than priest? well apparently it was, but that’s because I am the one making the statement.

I personally believe the classes are pretty in line with each other, with Rogue having the advantage of being good at the start of a year and Priest at the end of the year, a player who likes rogue will say priest is op and one who likes priest will say rogue is, that’s a consequence of being subjective, as we are human.

Yes, Priest gets strong at the end of year because all the other classes get a nerf during the year.
My point is that almost the whole year the Priest is a weak hard to play class.
I wonder why in youtube there is a “Haha Priest” video and there is no such video for any of the other classes.

Priest actually gets strong BECAUSE it gets SUPPORT throughout the year, look in wild, 13% of all decks are just Big Priest, this archetype is been at least tier 2 ever since it came out In KotFT some 2 years ago, why not always tier one? There are HATE DECKS made to counter that specific archetype, the deck’s been getting more and more tools as well, Vargoth, which recasts “Resurrect”, maybe they get 7 of him, Katrina Muerte, Psychic Scream and more.
Priest gets strong at the end of a year because that’s when it tipically gets a use for the cards it’s gotten, priest got strong back in Mean Streets (last expansion before rotation) when it got Potion of Madness, Pint size potion (for SW Hporror and Kabal) Kazakus and, most importantly, Dragonfire potion, then priest was a borderline class in U’G and OP in Knights of The Frozen Throne when it got a huge combo to work with the many tools it had to control the match. After another rotation priest lost some valuable tools (dragonfire, horror, madness) and it only gained Psychic Scream which only helped latter on when it gained new possible win conditions, that is Mech’thun, gallery and more.

Priest is a class that usually requires a lot of support as it has a hard time dealing loads of damage, it gains a lot though as of all the classes it has the best survivability options, it just happens to lack the proper finishers.

I wander if you’re just an imbecile now. That is an argument for you? If yes then did you search for an “Haha Hunter” video at least or anything like that, for any class, if I brought to you more “Haha hunter” or “Haha Mage” or “Haha Warrior” or “Haha Warlock” videos than you can find “Haha Priest” videos would you admit that priest is a MUCH stronger class than those???
If it boils down to this, if I come here, use data from the past…almost form the very beta of the game, and you go “Well people laugh about priest on the internet” then I’ll go tfo.

Wrong , the card pool is slim in standard and will increase with each expansion , this time priest has around 3 tier 4 decks wich seems quite good for 405 cards leaving standard and adding 135.

Try to search warlock for this expansion , lets see what you come up with.
but serious the comparisons you make here in all your comments are just stupid and illogical.

wrong

wrong

wrong

To atleast eloborate it a little , dont use the word ‘‘always’’ and ‘‘each expansion’’
because this is just not the case.

Priest can get overun by agressive decks, because of the rotation there are less avaible cards that can solve a situation, like the current lack of good board clears with priest.

Could priest get a little better ? yeah sure but in like 1-2 months we have already a new expansion wich adds 135 cards again.

1 Like

It’s been 2 days since the last reply to this thread but I figured this was something that ought to add value to it

Guys you are acting like you just started playing this game. Dont you people already know that this game is all about Hunters and Paladins? I mean seriously this is not a secret anymore, if you play any other class you will never be satisfied.

I had hopes at the beginning of this new meta that the hunter dominance for the last 3 years will finally be over, but nope. They get 2 tier 1 decks again. I said finally, we are done with Odd Pala nonsense, but nope, they get to have 3x 15-15 on the board by turn 5 now which is even better.

Either play those classes or just play wild, like i do.

So you only like playing hunter and paladin, we get it

Clearly you don’t get it because………

He’s nothing but a Big Priest fanboy :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, now all of you clowns (this censorship system is ridiculous) are arguing about nothing and completely derailed the entire topic. Well done.

To answer the original question, Priest has an exceptionally weak Basic/Classic set. There are exceptions, such as Northshire Cleric, Circle of Healing or most Power/Shadow Words, but cards like Holy Nova, Lightspawn, Lightwell and so on are terrible. Priest’s hero power is also garbage, doing nothing in terms of tempo (unless you are already ahead on the board).
Because of this, Priest cards are usually a bit stronger than other classes’ (similar to Warlock having slightly weaker cards due to Life Tap), and it takes a few sets before enough strong cards are available at the same time and Priest is able to rise to T1/T2.

2 Likes

Now you’re just flexing your ability to post pictures

Tempo Mage and Thief Rogue actually.

I dont have hunter or pala decks that i play competitively.

Since you cant present any facts towards the argument, i ll move on to OP’s answer.

Just gonna let that little freak out slide…

Priests usually shine after the release of last expansion of the year. So far priest received top tier utility and control tools from RoS but they didnt receive any solid minions to create a competitive deck. All we have right now is Res priest, the weird Nomi priest and Silence priest.

You see 2 things in that list:
1- There is a really good variety. You can play an agro/MR deck, a combo deck and an agonizingly slow control deck (slower than any control deck that i played)
2- All 3 of them are the lowest tier garbage decks.

To conclude my answer: right now priests are at the bottom no doubt. But in order to enjoy the class you either have to play in wild where they have 3 or 4 competitive decks, or wait until December to see the actual plan they had in store for the class (i doubt they had one in the first place but we ll see).

1 Like