Let’s talk about Joe for a minute. Joe has been playing quite some Hero League the past couple of days trying to hit grandmaster. Some games didn’t go well, some games did, sometimes he made mistakes, sometimes he carried - just like HL is supposed to work.
And as it does happen on a way to grandmaster, caring about your points, Joe tries to give advice to your fellow teammates in some games. This may be in draft or in the actual game, with the current variety of skill within one game this seems justified.
And that’s enough to get Joe reported for Abusive Chat. Simply because someone doesn’t like his nose or the fact he followed a different call, he will get reported. During his grind from gold upwards a few seasons back, Joe didn’t notice this - because to be muted the first time, one must accumulate quite an amount of reports.
But after suffering a multi-week ban (perhaps justified, perhaps not), It just takes 50 HL games in which Joe doesn’t pick fights, doesn’t insult, but merely focuses on the game and talks only about the game in a constructive way, to get banned again.
We’re talking about a system where people get rewarded for pressing a button out of mere hate or frustration. It has been mentioned many times and in some way or other it needs to change.
Please help out Joe. He really wants to play HL again.
Some solutions might be…
- Allowing a report only after a word has been used caught by the chat filter
- Only counting reports if two or more players hit the button during/after the same game
- Entirely automating the report system through chat filter
- Make it harder to report people (captcha, website, etc.)
- Make ban appeals easier (who scans his ID for HotS?)
- Allow for the purchase of unbans at the restriction of disabled chat
- Completely remove bans and replace them with silences to reduce smurfing
I’m sure you guys can think of more solutions to make the game more fun for everyone without paving the way for toxicity! Joe needs you!