Hero prices opinion

Hello.

At first I wanted to say that I’m completly casual Hots player. I started playing the game because it was a moba and I really like play moba games plus I liked the idea of playing characters from the games I know and I’ve played.

But I quit the game few times and every time I return to check out some new stuff the same thing makes me wanna quit again - Hero prices and gold gaining.

Let me talk about early League seasons. I’m a pretty old League of Legends player I’ve started playing basicly when it was released and I kept playing and having fun in the game mostly because I had a huge possibilities and lots of choices in builds and characters and really felt the progression while playing the game. Back in the day there was no such thing as One-Tricking people played characters that they wanted to play i certain situation and it was fun to see meta changing even in soloq games. Later on one tricking started and ppl started instalocking chars that they “Have to” play because they are one tricking and game started feeling repetable the set of champions popular to one trick was created and basicly you started playing against the same characters every game even if they were ruining the game for others beacuse they picked them for the role they weren’t supposed to. I kept the mentality of variety hero player rather than playing 2-3 heros.

Now. Don’t get me wrong I think Hots is way better than League in terms of team composition forcing, rather then allowing one tricking but the hero pricing FEELS SO BAD. For me having few chars already it’s already hard but I can’t imagine starting to play this game from scratch. I’m talking about playing casually, for fun, just few quick matches every day.

Let’s get to the point. You get 30 gold for a Win and 10 gold for a lose. The most expensive heroes cost 10k gold, so you have to play minimum of 300+ games to get the gold raw from playing. There are daily quests and gold for level but the only gold you get while playing casually is gold for level 5 and possibly 10 if you really like the hero. I personally get bored of a playing char before I’m getting level 10 and I would like to play something else but most of the time when I want to switch to something else I have like 2k gold earned. When I think I would have to play that much time with characters I’ve already played a lot 4 times more just to buy one character or be forced to grind level 10s for some gold, that’s what makes me wanna quit instantly. In League the most expensive chars were 6300 IP and you earned 100 IP-120 IP for a win doubled for a 1st win of the day and about 80 for a lose. The minimum of games you would have to play to earn raw 6300 is 53 - without 1st wins of the day.

Let’s say you play both games for a week. You have 50% win ratio in four matches per day.
In League you get (using middle values) 220(1st win)+110+80+80=490 per day *7=3430 for a week.
In Hots let’s say you get quests 800, 600, 300, 300, 200, 200, 200 (you can get more lucky but I think those values are fine for the average). So It’s 2600 from quests and (30+30+10+10)*7=560 from the games. 2600+560=3160.

The amount of gold in Hots is lower than League even tho theres almost 4k difference in gold needed for a character. And yes I know that there’s gold for levels but those are once per character and we are talking about playing varity of chars not only grinding one or two. Even if you add 500 gold for level 5 once per week, it’s not much higher than League system. Plus 2 years ago League changes it’s system so into getting capsules with the currency in that way you actually get more than it was before and also new players get 7 day first win reward of a free hero that they can choose from from 3 given. While in Hots you get a lootbox that contains legit garbage RNG stuff with characters being Legendary rarity and the only thing new players get is gold for completing a tutorial.

To sum up, In my opinion heros prices should get reduced or gold gain boosted. Game is really hard to get into for the new/returning players.

Please share you opinion. I apologize for possible mistakes and lack of knowledge about Hots nowdays, I don’t know their gold gain system really good but I’m talking about what I’ve experienced. Thanks for reading the whole thing.

I didn’t have a problem when I had to make a new account. First of all, loot crates have a higher chance for new players to give legendaries and heroes. Secondly, if you do your daylies and level heroes to 5 for that 500 gold you’ll buy the heroes you need in no time.

I would also recommend saving your boosters for when you’ll be playing more. For example you open a booster from a loot chest. What you do is you do not claim the rewards from the chest and just exit the game. Once you turn on the game again you’ll see that that chest is un-opened and you’ll be able to open it again for the same rewards including the booster

2 Likes

To begin with I think that system is fine.
You can buy new heroes for “gold”, “gems” find them in boxes and ofc. You have “weekly roll” rotation.
That gives You 4 ways to play bunch of heroes.
It is really increadible how much players come into the game and complains thet they can’t have everything for free.
People spend more cash on booze on the saturday night party than it is needed to pay for 10 heroes in the game.

The other thing:
You say that are getting bored before 10 level of hero.
I would say to that on 10 level you probably not even close to have real joy from play cetrain hero.

That is how I think about it.
People comming, want everything for free and complain that something costs 2-4$.

2 Likes

I began to play HOTS from the start 3 years ago, no earlier moba experience. Everything was new. I began to play to surprise my husband and for my surprise I ended up loving the game. :heart_eyes: Though there are some things I could complain about but.
I think you’ll earn the money for new heroes quite fast like the others said by leveling heroes till lev 5 and 10 and doing your daily quests. I don’t remember how fast I got my heroes (still dont got ALL of them but most) since I fell in love with Falstad’s eagle. He’s on lev 121 now. :kissing_heart::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I also play a lot of heroes I really like so I don’t level so quickly. I didnt care to get money so much until now that the mastery rings have come along. But I think that though they are kind of cool they are a bit of waste of money since you all ready can get your mastery taunts for free to show off. :sunglasses: