Ranking System Issues

Ok. So, here goes.
Let me start by saying i am still learning this game and by no means do i think i’m god’s gift to the world of hots.
I have however spent time and money trying to improve. This, I feel, however is virtually impossible due to the ranking system.
I achieved 7/10 wins in the pre ranking games with 6 MVPS and I got Bronze 4. Since then I am unable to progress due to troll drafts or poor play.
Please give hints as to how to rid myself of the Bronze ranking and frustrating play. Thanks

1 Like

I need to know what you normally draft to get ideas.
I know it’s hard lately since ranked has gotten silly lately… but there are certain picks I know if you get good enough in you can dominate bronze matches single handedly.

Like I know a good sonya these days can solo Bronze if they don’t deal with it.

Best way would be picking something out of the oridinary like a Murky.

But maybe your playstyle could lead to a hero that you don’t have to rely on it.

I normally try to fill the hole in the draft by other players but tough to do when drafting first. I like playing tank like Diablo, Garrosh or Sonya but then the team double double tanks or supports behind me making my draft obsolete or having insufficient damage in team fight or objective

Sonya is more a bruiser then tank. Diablo can dish out some good damage himself with certain builds, but Garrosh you are dependant on your allies alot.

The problem with bronze and most of ranked at the moment is you have 3 options when it comes to drafting.

1: Play with the team.
2: Play away from the team.
3: Play AGAINST your team.

Playing with is drafting to combo and work with your team whats needed.
Your skills are dependant on allies as well as your own to make things work.

Playing away means you pick something that can do fine independantly and won’t devalue the full teams compensition. These are mostly “safe” picks.

Playing AGAINST your team is drafting whatever you feel like or picking what you can do best even if it doesn’t wrok well with the draft of your allies.

Overall in Bronze it’s more important to play for your indivual value.
Don’t play a hero cause someone wants you to or needs to, better pick something that can do something similiar or can cover it.
For example…
Someone wants you to play a tank like ETC, but you know ETC won’t do much and your peeling won’t matter. So insted you draft Uther who is a tanky support.
Sure you won’t be full support, but you can stun, damage and heal people as well as give them armor.
And some talents and ult’s make him sorta an ETC fill in but without mobility.
And if you die as Uther you can still heal.

it’s those kind of decissions that are more important at lower ranks.
Or pick something that breaks the META but not the full composition of your team.
Let’s say they need a solo laner, so you pick Murky insted of something a-kin of Sonya. Now you focus on getting bribe stacks , not dieing and being a pain while soaking exp or whatever. Suddenly you have the map under control while the enemy has to give up objectives to stop your murky bombing.

As for heroes to pick with your tanky play style.
Artanis, Stitches, Sonya , Varian (All builds), Leoric (Self heal, laning and damage and soaking) and maybe Dehaka if you can control the map and be annoying.
I don’t recommend Chen.
I certainly say don’t use Garrosh as you are too reliant of your allies. Sure you can make plays but you can’t kill as well.
While the others have some sort of damage/killing potential.

Thanks bud. I’ll give it a go

Sonya really seems like a safe pick. You get almost never banned (in opposition to e.g. a Diablo carry) and you can just side-soak if your team dies like flies or one after another. Just remember that 90% of the low-rank games are decided in the late game, when death timers are high and objectives kick-in on their own. You do not want to fall behind too much by then. Rule of thumb: get at least one fort and map control on one lane.

So here is some general advice to achieve that

1. Do not die!: Winning games by side-laning requires you to play carefully. Don’t waste your abilities on structures if you need them to escape a gank and don’t trade HP if you are not sure to kill your counterpart or the trade is heavily in your favour. It is very likely that your counterpart is leaving the lane early to joing an objective; this is when you want to have full health/full mana to push in without opposition. If this can only be achieved by sitting behind your wall for the first 3 minutes, thats okay.
  2. Ping: Use pings to show that you are either joining an objective fight late or not joining at all. Use also pings to get people off your lane, as they are likely missing XP somewhere else if they join your lane.
  3. Practise camps: Practise to kill a Giant camp quickly without loss of health and knight camps without loosing too much health.
  4. Learn camp timings: There is a lot of information out there on when and which camp to take on each map. Just write some notes down on each map and go for it - esp. in the early to mid game.
  5. Tier/Number advantage: although it is not necessary to join fights for the majority of a low-ranked game, it is good to do so to avoid people feeding or going afk from frustration. However, wait for opportunities to do so such as early level advantages, number advantages on one side of the map or numerous enemy heroes defending your camps.

All of this is of course also possible with a Murky, but Sonya provides you with a lot more all-round abilities IMHO.

1 Like

Just uninstall and find a new moba.

1 Like

I not want discouraged you,but i did try out all season escape from Bronze and i cant!

It the 3 games u lost, were the first 3 games, u would b bronze 4,
its different, but doesnt matter, the season is ending, n u need to prepare for the next :slight_smile:

Most of it is given by the detailed response by Kotlol.
I would add to that.
Party up, n go in 5man party…

Also, even if you think you are a pro with the positioning and ability knowledge of a hero, and can get better results in 1v1 with that hero and have piles of confidence on him (eg a tyrande or Malf = just for example) , then basically you learned only 50% of that hero, coz u hav learned him as a solo ,

A good tyrande will always drop her stun BEHIND diablo as soon as diablo bangs someone on the wall (coz diablo is expected to flip the enemy, n when he does, the stun lands on enemy perfectly timed) ,
similarly goes for malf roots,

When you start playing in accordance with the allies abilities, is when you really get better, and thts when the fun actually begins,
Hell yess u can enjoy a lot 1v2 or 1v3 with a varian having aba on top.
but the satisfaction of a coordinated blow up , theres nothing like tht,
and for tht, u need to play with frends :slight_smile:

I hav added may b 5 to 8 ppl from here , the forums, and playing with them,
learned a lot, taught a lot, and i always hav people to take into rank
n im in bronze too, since the begining (i started SL just 2 month ago, never played it before in my old account which i lost).

So, i understand ur frustration, i will note down ur battletag n send u req,
lets work things out together :slight_smile:

Im sending u invite as well, once im in nexus.

Play a mobile dps with wave clear and good damage.