Why HOTS failed

Why would you need to level up fast??? This isnt a game about getting the highest level… You only get cosmetic stuff when you level up…

In hots they can change a hero’s talents without affecting the whole meta… And having different talents allows you to adapt to the fight.
In lol however it’s always the same items that are used and the same abilities that you choose to level at the same time. Having 2 different heroic choices can change how you play the game.

1 Like

Ind. xp is not about fairness.Ind xp creates different gameplay dynamics. In Dota you dont’ know when each hero will spike and there is strategy in timing ur fights even better you have to judge power spikes on the fly. Different power spikes create different team dynamics and different team comps. Compared to HotS where the whole team spikes together when they all hit lvl 10 at the same time. Talents means its hard to delay power spikes and HOTS is a 5 man death ball from the 7-10 minute mark onward

HOTS pretty much died because it was just becoming slowly impossible to balance. They couldn’t make heroes that were balanced in both competitive and quick play and the match making even back when the game was still being actively developed showed it. Some matches are just absolute snowballs, especially when unique niche heroes like Abathur involved that can either win a match for their team or completely sabotage their team based on comp and map.

The game is undeniably fun, I still play it in bursts to this day and when a match is well balanced you can see it, especially with the various ways you can turn a match around whether it be through map objectives, camps or traits coming online. For example, tonight I had a match as Lucio where my team were getting stomped on Warhead Junction for most of the match. Team fights were a struggle and the enemy team just had far more command of the map/ability to cap multiple merc camps quickly. Then at level 20 I unlocked the talent that increases healing based on nearby heroes and all of a sudden I just had so much healing that with my whole team moving together with me we just rolled over the enemy team, capped a boss once we took them down and that was it, complete turn around. Every single hero feels really good when they’re able to do what they do to their fullest ability and not one hero is the same as another. Having them be characters from Blizzard’s titles also gave them a constant stream of interest from people who came to HOTS from other games.

The game still had a very strong competitive scene and I remember when they cancelled their e-sports and tournaments for pro play everyone was shocked as it was doing well. It still has quite a large casual player base and for a while there were plenty of tournaments set up by YouTubers, streamers and pro-players. I honestly think the game could have survived if they had at least continued to do balance patches/minor hero changes to support it as they said they would but they didn’t. Heck, if they just released one hero a year and maybe a map every two years the game would still be running at full pelt. Unfortunately because of the amount of money they sunk into Overwatch and Diablo instead, it looks like there won’t even be the bare minimum of work done to keep the game enjoyable done.

I have another idea why it failed , and a simple solution to make it playable. Please see :
Why aren’t ALL HEROES FREE in 2023

hots failed because blizard emplye only ppl with inteligence below ape