Director’s Take – Reflecting on the future of Overwatch 2

Director’s Take – Reflecting on the future of Overwatch 2

Game Director Aaron Keller reflects on our initial ambitions for PvE, what led to the change of plans, and what the future holds for Overwatch 2

View Full Article

4 Likes

Thank you for giving us this update!

#BringBackOW1

4 Likes

We’d also like OW1 back!

#BringBackOW1

4 Likes

You have my sympathy. The gamer crowd, me included, can be harsh sometimes but I can imagine it had to hurt for you and your team too to scrap something that has been in development for so long.

Thanks for this update and being open about it. I hope the story mode will be awesome and I’m looking forward to it very much. Can’t wait for more lore, story and cinematics within the Overwatch universe.

2 Likes

Money hungry dog company. Stop lying to us.

5 Likes

I’m one of the people who originally was only hyped for the story missions.
Since the first uprising year i’ve just wanted more, retribution and storm rising just feeding that hunger. (Storm rising was a small disappointment, but all steps where the devs practised new things)

I can’t wait for season 6.

Glad to see the director’s take! :heart_eyes_cat: Meow!

2 Likes

Common Overwatch L :0

1 Like

I am so confused with this back and forth,
it feels i just subside 60 pounds for an early game to be released where i expected to have fun with the new features in co op . the game as it stands its a copy of the ow1.

2 Likes

I’m confused by this. You say missions are not being scrapped, just the entire concept you currently have for it. And then have nothing to say about any new concept, leaving us to think you are back to square one on pve? You said it yourself that pve was OW2’s selling point and it’s still not even past design phase. It hurts you released it the way you did.
And I for one are disappointed that you released OW2 without the option to earn currency for OW1 skins that used to be free to earn. Just Feels Scammy.
Come on! Wins for gold for skins!!!

1 Like

“but much of the discussion this week has been about how we’re cancelling PvE outright, which isn’t accurate, so I want to take some time to discuss some of that with you here.”

In the end, it was scrapped:/ I just went through all those paragraphs, and the decision is still scrapped!

I was so looking forward to that mode man.

1 Like

Pve is not scrapped. Skill trees are scrapped.

We are still going to get story filled pve maps.

We cannot customise hero abilities as that is scrapped.

We are still getting the story and pve.
Hero leveling and skill trees are scrapped.

"Story Missions focus on fast-paced, co-op gameplay, as well as story, cinematics, and cutscenes that expand the world of Overwatch. Story Missions tell a linear narrative about the heroes of Overwatch reuniting and battling the new Null Sector threat, pushing the story of Overwatch forward for the first time since our original game released. These missions take place on huge maps with new enemies and new cinematics. We will begin to release them in Season 6. "

Even if they released ow2 without a way to earn skins properly, you can earn white credits to unlock ow1 era skins with in the battlepass now.

" After Overwatch 2 had launched, we started refining our plans for future seasons. As those plans grew, we tried to find ways to make all of our ambitions fit together in a plan that we believed in.

We couldn’t."

Just another lie, don’t believe these excuses, the decision to cancel PVE as a concept was made prior the release of OW2. The kept the concept of PVE in the promotion advertising for OW2 so they could sell more battle passes and have more players.

1 Like

You have prove of this?..

1 Like

It’s not been cancelled.

They just aren’t doing the 2 bits that were a pain in the butt to make.

It is annoying I agree, but let’s try not use hyperbole to spread misinformation. People get easily confused in this community.

I still cannot understand why the bothered to launch OW2 without having all the stuff ready. There was no rush to add a push mode and take it down to 5v5 the whole thing seems pointless. The heroes added could have just been put into OW1 which is a product everyone was fairly happy with.

OW2 is a just a timeline of disappointments and despite the bulk of the content in OW2 being already in the original game the development appears to be taking longer than it did to make the original game from nothing.

1 Like

As i borrowed from the article already before.

" Story Missions focus on fast-paced, co-op gameplay, as well as story, cinematics, and cutscenes that expand the world of Overwatch. Story Missions tell a linear narrative about the heroes of Overwatch reuniting and battling the new Null Sector threat, pushing the story of Overwatch forward for the first time since our original game released. These missions take place on huge maps with new enemies and new cinematics. We will begin to release them in Season 6. "

We will get story pve.

Hero skilltrees and skill customisation have been cancelled.

Edit: battlepasses had nothing to do with pve as even original ow1 pve modes have locked in cosmetics that you can’t change in the official mode.

The reason for overwatch 2 was to provide PVE. I paid for overwatch before it was released, having no idea what it was, expecting it to be an MMO, I soon discovered that was not the case and came to love the game. So years later a game I paid for with skins that I could earn by playing has been replaced it with a free game that I have to spend money on to get skins, promising PVE as the justification. Why do that? Why give up? It doesn’t make sense. None of the explanations justify it.

1 Like

We will get the pve. The pve maps will start getting released in season 6.

They cancelled skill trees and levelling up, but pve will come.