Director’s Take – Reflecting on the future of Overwatch 2

Overwatch 1 had team based PVE already.

Single player modes will be added, but without skill tree and levelling?

1 Like

Because OW1’was failing and not making enough money any more.

Only because you set your expectations too high. It’s blizzard, what were people expecting.

Yes, the skil tree an hero missions have been binned off as they were too complex to do.

If you want a single player pve there are hundreds of those. I feel like overwatch’s pve strength is the fact that it’s co-op.

And yeah, no skill trees or levelling up. Just like the ow1 pve.

1 Like

I want single player overwatch pve, not some other game.

1 Like

Glad I dropped the game during Season 1, it was clear even back then that “Blizzards Vision” was $$$, little interest in making a game, only how far you can milk your fanbase.

Basically you re-branded OW1 as OW2, added a shop and Battlepass and haven’t really moved on from there.

Its clear that when ever these “PVE” missions appear, they’ll be shadow, static scripted affairs that’ll be soon forgotten for overshadowed by other games that do it all so much better.

Shame, loved the universe but clearly Blizzard doesn’t and only want to milk it for all its worth.

Then you’ll still get that.

Just no daft hero missions and skill trees. Just story missions.

No the PvE missions that are coming are exactly what they’ve promised and shown off.

The cancelled parts were a different part of the PvE side that required every hero to be redesigned multiple times. It was a resource drain for little return.

Blizzard really. They often release stuff that’s unfinished.

1 Like

That’s most gamestudios these days. It’s so easy to keep updating and developing with all games being digital downloads these days.
There’s also higher ups setting impossible deadlines, thus causing crunch days and yet many unfinished products ship.

1 Like

You’ve described pretty much every game that gets released now.

DLC…

In order to make this system work you need to put out 2 decent length story modes a season for casual gamers to stay interested in this story. Take a look at sea of thieves story mode, me and my friends played one fairly short mission and realized we had to wait 80 days for the next one. This is like watching and anime that only makes one episode every 2 months and people will stop watching after the second episode. You say you’re excited for it but you need to realize that you have to make a lot of content to keep people interested and invested in this story. Thats why everyone was excited for PvE and that PvE shouldnt have been soley Tean 4s job to make. Your team works at a large game studio that can easily afford to hire a whole new team for this project and could have easily made it a paid expansion campaign similar to how Destiny is and made way more money than making a whole campaign for free. That format keeps people interested, invested, and makes you money. Additionally your failure to realize this and lie saying it was still coming for 8 months instead of being transparent is what people are mad about. You failed your community and left a scar that will never fade. Many people have already uninstalled because you lied, because you dont even try to support your content creators or collab with them or non overwatch streamers and they are what ultimately makes people play the game. You have failed your community not by lack of man power but by your lack of transparency and care for the community (even though you say this is for the betterment of it). I will continue to play the game and i am watching with the biggest grain of salt as you release these upcoming seasons. Im optimistic about your plans but i guess well shall have to wait and see.

1 Like

Let me summarise this Director’s Take post for you all:

“The brass has started to realise people are boycotting Overwatch 2 or uninstalling it. So they’ve forced Aaron Keller to make a fake apology to further paint shadow on the whole truth - money hungry greedy corporate suits like Bobby Kotick are the whole reason this is happening but they won’t take responsibility because it helps them sleep a little easier at night.”

In short guys, I don’t blame the Overwatch team for this. I blame the suits, especially since this reeks of a coverup and Jeff Kaplan’s departure, so well timed, only adds further speculation to this. Jeff Kaplan would not have spent years building Team 4 and directing the creation of our beloved Overwatch 1 and further went on to Overwatch 2 if the team was a bunch of monkeys who would run loose without his guidance.

It makes sense and it seems (especially after the internal leak just revealed on Your Overwatch (YouTube), that the developers had our best interests in mind. Think about it again logically, what kind of an excuse is the one they’ve given? A pathetic one and more fitting for an actual indie company who do not have the proper management, development skills and the funding to carry out half the projects they start working on. This is the team that made Overwatch 1, they know exactly what they are doing because if they didn’t? We’d not have spent the past 7 years playing their game.

Quite clearly, this stinks of a coverup by the higher-ups who want more of Diablo: Immortal’s crap and a pay cheque is the only language they understand.

To Aaron Keller and the Overwatch Team: I do not blame you, and I think if others wake up to this reality, they wouldn’t either. But I do wonder why you all don’t just hit them where it hurts, and jump ship to work for a better studio.

To the rest of the Community, ask yourselves this: What would you do in their position? Where you knew the big bosses are forcing you to lie for their cowardly greedy selfish acts, or potentially lose your job if you don’t, worse, speak out and reveal the whole truth about them embarrassing their image.

1 Like

8 months into the game, if someone grinded out all weekly challenges now you can buy a legendary skin. Meanwhile in OW1 you had a 100 lootboxes at this point. This is not a “beautiful metamorphosis” this is the mighty wolf evolving into a chihuahua through inbreeding. That rewarding lootbox system was taken away WITH the promise that the new shop and currency system would provide for the development of PvE. If PvE is no more, I want the free lootboxes back

According to European Union’s upcoming legislation, only PAID lootboxes are considered gambling, randomized lootdrops that we can earn through gameplay are not illegal. So give those lootboxes back

2 Likes

We can only hope, been saying this for ages.

Pretty much!

1 Like

This is correct.

The issues have come from above, leaks have confirmed this

Essentially the canceled part of PvE was a lot of time and effort for little $ return. So they cut resources to it.

Do you think the higher ups would allow even more free stuff tossed at the players?

I think team 4 has had to fight to even have free reward tiers in the battle pass.

Also, Belgium has completely banned any and all lootboxes since 2018, netherlands is not quite that far yet but we will see. Norway has also been looking into the matter.
China has been implementing some pretty strict rules on lootbox sales.

It’s only a matter of time before stricter rules appear in more countries so it’s safer to not have the boxes. (And less work)

I wouldn’t mind having boxes back in some form, but it’s not going to happen.

I don’t think that’s true. I couldn’t find the wording of the law itself, but every report of Belgian official are putting an emphasis on the Lootboxes that can be bought with money, and not the ones players unlock through natural gameplay progression.

“The issue of loot boxes was recently in the media when the game Star Wars Battlefront II was launched. In that game, people could purchase a benefit with real money without knowing what benefit it would be. Given the importance of protecting minors and vulnerable players, this was very worrying.” -Minister of Justice Koen Geens

If really ANY form or randomized reward would be banned that would mean that even Minecraft is banned because of its randomized chests from dungeon chests. Or any random drop from MMORPGs.

If you have any specific document that proves that they indeed banned any kind of randomized reward let me know.

If they don’t understand that providing a rewarding gameplay experience is essential of a videogames longevity maybe they shouldn’t work in this industry.

Greedy people can ruin anything. It’s pretty given that in several businesses (not only gaming) bosses and orher higher ups rather fire people than cut their own bonuses.

Of the belgium thing i merely found 10 different places all citing that Belgium attempted to at least ban all lootboxes in 2018. Freezing all transactions to aquire lootboxes at the time.

Netherlands sued ea after an underage player used near 700 euros to buy packs that were also easily available for free in the game. (Don’t think ea lost though)

Even uk and australia have agreed that lootboxes are gambling adjecent even if they’re not outright gambling and legal at this time.

The boxes are a possible legal minefield unless complete transparency about the likelihoods of the rewards is provided. I don’t see blizzard bringing them back, sadly.

It appears that is just the article writing generilizing.
If I look any official report, they are citing, that the Belgian law requests a gambling licence from games with PAID lootboxes in them.

Citing consumer protection concerns, the Belgian Gaming Commission opined that such mechanics constitute gambling under existing law and effectively ‘banned’ loot boxes by threatening criminal prosecution of non-compliant companies implementing paid loot boxes without a gambling licence.