A Big Problem With Overwatch

Both Overwatch and TF2 are “team games”, but in Overwatch the “team” is really just a single entity with 6 bodies, whereas in TF2 each player is an individual working towards a single goal. I feel like that model works better.

1 Like

And this is the reason Overwatch will never be great.

3 Likes

To me, this is exactly the reason why Overwatch is great.

Not that the guy is not making good points. But in the end, it all depends on flavour.

What’s good about it? It takes away your agency, when the whole point of a video game is to allow the player to express that agency. The Overwatch team wants you do play their way, why not just make it a TV show if I’m not allowed to experiment? In fact that would make a lot of fans happy too, people really like the animations.

2 Likes

No, the whole point of the game is to work with your team, build a comp that you all can work with and (hopefully) crush the enemy.

It isn’t a difficult thing to get your head around, sometimes you’ve just got to see the bigger picture rather than solely what you want to do.

I’m not arguing about what the game currently is, I’m saying that it’s bad game design. Working together should not be mandatory for you to have fun, since you’re matched with random people who won’t necessarily agree to do what you want. The way it’s built now makes 6-stacking the only way to have fun in the game.

It is not mandatory for you to have fun.

It is mandatory for you to be successful.

You can have fun building comps and formulating strats as a team.

Sometimes success is also fun. But i know some people who troll and throw (they brag about it on here…) and are having fun. At the expense of others

It is not mandatory for you to have fun.

Please never become a game designer.

if you mean 6 cripples that make a complete hero from a regular FPS game yes that’ pretty much so.

Again you are deliberately misreading what I said.

Working together isn’t mandatory to have fun in the game. So many find fun in many ways.

But if you want to be successful, working together is mandatory. And if you can do that while having fun. Perfect.

I’m sorry you are so againt working with others, if must be tough out there. Maybe try some single player games?

Working together is more like gathering 3 to slay 1 guy =) When I say after 1.5 years of Soldier I can’t kill Moira they replay “of course this is a team game”. Well as a Moira I can kill other soldiers at the same time.

I’m sorry you are so againt working with others

I’m not against working with others, I’m against teamwork being necessary to get anything done. There are no duels unless you’re a sniper, only “team fights”. The closest to independent gameplay is Sombra, but you can’t actually capture an objective just with her. You need a tank, and then that needs a healer.

You don’t win matches by being a good McCree player and making a big play, you win matches by performing the meta over and over, against a team who is also doing the meta. And whoever can most accurately copy “the strat” wins. No thought required, just turn your brain off and push in.

You win matches by being a good team and playing together.

Whats wrong with that. Big team plays. They are a lot of fun.

The “meta” only works with good team play and synergy… which is why they’ll beat you.

1 Like

Metas indicate a broken design. Over those years with Bliz games theoricraft gets really old. Players would justify any kind of broken deign.

? There is always a meta… if you have 32 heros, at anyone time a specific combination will always be slightly stronger than others.

This doesn’t mean it is in anyway broken. It just means blizzard need to regularly shuffle the deck as it were. Which they are slowly getting better at, in terms of quicker balance changes (whether you like a specific patch is subjective so I won’t worry about that).

Shuffling often to prevent things going stale is the key.

1 Like

I am by no way a pro player though the way I understand it the amount of “working” characters is very limited. Basically there is no Symmetra, Torb, Moira, Soldier, Tracer, and even Reaper

Meta is only really relevant with good team work. Can be pros or bronze. Outside that, synergies are key. Ie dont okay dva hog as your tank line as there there many dps that can synergise with that effectively.

Anything can be viable in the right comp.

1 Like

its literally down to how you like to play a game and your taste at the end of the day. its like comparing telltale stories too normal campaign games. I for one prefer telltale but others prefer games with one ending, its all preference, thats why in some aspects its pointless to really compare game nowadays unless its from the same brand eg, cod or Fifa.

its literally down to how you like to play a game

Yes but it actively makes the game worse for the majority of players when you create a system built around an esport.

It’s true, OW is a team game in every respect. If even one of the 12 players in a game is afk or is throwing, it basically ruins the entire game because then either your shield is gone, or your damage is less, or you have less heals and it tips the balance.

I’ve never played TF2 so not sure how that game managed with leavers and throwers.