A flaw in design and operation cycle of Ashe's primary weapon

Hey. I’m a firearms enthusiast, and i noticed a tiny flaw in operation of Ashe’s lever action rifle.

You see, currently in game the hammer always stays in uncocked position, while during a shot it cocks itself, like in double action revolvers, and then hits the firing pin to make a round go off, which is not possible and doesn’t make any sense.

In order to fire, the hammer should be in full back position, ready to go off when the operator pulls the trigger and strike the firing pin to shoot. After the shot it remains in forward position (like currently in game). And when the operator pulls the lever forward to cycle the weapon - the firing pin falls back, cocking the hammer (literally pushing it to the full back position) and goes back, while the new round is chambered in the same time.

In other words, all i say is that animation of cycling the weapon is a bit incorrect. Good thinking will be to look up at the cycling of actual repeating rifles, like Winchester 1873, or to look up at Hunt: Showdown animations. They showed the process of cycling a repeater slow and smooth.

Anyway, that’s not much a big deal, just a tiny detail i’ll be glad if you’ll notice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“Whats that? You want a new Ashe skin? Sure thing! Check it out in the shop! Also we buffed Orisa.” -Blizz probably

3 Likes

it’s an honestly interesting analysis, but there’s perhaps a reason why they put it incorrectly: differentiating it in the game’s silhouettes. If you notice carefully, one of the main ways to recognize characters is by silhouette on the battlefield based on how they move. Ana for example has an unmistakable cape that makes her similar to a triangle, and she has a predominantly crouched way of shooting. Widowmaker on the contrary always has a perfectly straight pose with her back, with a very tight silhouette and possibly in almost all of her skins a ponytail hairstyle. the times in which they “broke” the rules of the silhouette are very rare, like the cote azure skin of widowmaker who has a sarong and long hair.

In Ashe’s case, the pose of how she holds the rifle is extremely important with the rest of the silhouette: she doesn’t have to be too crouched to look like Ana (especially in the little red skin which has a hood) or not too much like widowmaker, so of Usually he prefers to help Ashe with a slightly longer cape on his hips.

The rifle pose is therefore crucial for being a middle ground between the three characters, as is the pose which is further confusing from afar depending on the skin. JQ actually also falls into this problem, only remedied by the fact that she always has the rifle on one hand (and not two). I’m no weapons expert, obviously :open_hands:. but I still believe that the type of animation of her was very decisive in helping her to make herself immediately recognizable regardless of her skin.

1 Like

You:
Minor error in the function of Ashe’s gun🤓

The game Ashe is in:

Talking Gorilla that helped form a Anti terrorist organisation that shoots lightning.:rofl:

1 Like

A giant Gorilla! Just like in those old video games!

I don’t think the devs are weapon experts and most of the choices would be aesthetics, with a splash of accuracy. Maybe in the future that’s how guns work who knows, maybe it’s because she made that gun herself so there are some flows remaining she didn’t correct with time.

1 Like

I have no problem with that. Just sharing my observations.

Pose is totally fine. The whole point of the question is about operation cycle of her weapon. All the devs need to do is to put hammer in constantly cocked position when she’s not shooting, and fix the animation of the weapon itself accordingly. And that’s pretty much it. It totally won’t affect the posture of the whole character.

1 Like