Alt-tab lag on fullscreen games

Hey, so it’s been a while since I have this issue, it’s not only on overwatch but in most fullscreen games. When I do an alt-tab(wich I do very often with a triple screen setup), I get about 5 second of “lag” in and out of the game. The bizarre thing is that, it sometimes works perfectly ! I have a top of the line PC (i7 8700, RTX 2080, 16 gigs of DDR4), 2 1080p 60 hz and 1 1080p 144hz G-sync screen.
I suspect the big problem is the 144hz monitor because I don’t think I had the problem before. I have tried everything to resolve this issue but don’t find any real thing on internet.
If anyone know anything about feel free to leave a comment.
I’m gonna try more thing in the next days too.
PS: When I’m another window, I can’t see Overwatch (is this normal ?) because I would really want to see it to be ready when the queue ends.

A day later: It’s like it’s 1/2 times. today is all good, my GPU doesn’t hit 100% when I alt-tab. this situation is really weird.

It sounds like you’re experiencing a delay while your monitor is switching back and forth between Nvidia G-sync.

• Right click the desktop
  • Open the Nvidia Control Pannel
  • Select Set up G-Sync from the menu on the left.
  • Select Enable for full screen & windowed mode

This should cause G-Sync to be always on, and reduce switching.

1 Like

So do I change my game into windowed fullscreen mode ?
After testing, this g-sync option is called “activating for fullscreen windowed mode” and not “fullscreen and windowed mode” !

While doing this step, I also noticed that in NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Change resolution i had 144Hz set, but my game was running at 165Hz. After setting NVIDIA Control Panel to 165Hz the alt-tabbing lag completely disappeared.

5 Likes

This fixed the problem for me. Thx for sharing.