Being a DPS in 2020

Hi guys, I want to share a story with you. it is really anoying to play dps nowdays at overwatch. I use to fill back in the days before 2-2-2 competitive. But I’m kind tired of playin tanks and heals all the time now…

Soo… I started playing dps the last season.
ITS HARD
ITS THE HARDEST THING IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW
it’s not hard cause you need aim skills or primitive gamesence, it’s hard to keep calm and enjoy the game.

Playing DPS in a nutshell

1. You wait 10 minutes with the risk to lose the game and receive -100 sr penalty and 30min cooldown, cause guys lets be honest, you can’t wait 10 minutes playin random stuff at random servers. I do things like taking a sh*t while I’m waiting, making coffee, listening to music, watching youtube videos and stuff like that.

2. You find a game and everything is fine and smooth, BUT there is something really mysterious, something extraordinary a new rule!! I called this rule “lets blame the dps” rule . Ok, at this moment I want to share something: I’m a pretty decent dps. Most of the time I pick counters (hanzo if they have bastion, a hitsccan if they have pharah, 'cree for reaper, mei for genji, and the list goes on I could do this all day…) cause you must remember guys, medals are sh*t if you do not counter the ones that you MUST counter … for example:

if you play hanzo and you have 3k dmg and their bastion is dead ALL the time, it’s better than having a shiny gold 13k dmg and their bastion is on a pirate ship reaping your temmates apart and having 20k dmg! its ok if you don’t have the golds as soon as your teamates r stayin alive!

So let’s go back at the “lets blame the dps rule”, this rule consists by 2 laws

1. If we lose the game, dps is ALWAYS the problem. I don’t care if we don’t have shield, if a soldier maybe needs some help to counter the enemy pharah-mercy, if he can’t stay alive it is HIS problem and I (the healer or the tank) have nothing to do with this. I don’t care if this soldier has 27/10min elims in his profile. If he can’t kill the pharah at MY game we lost cause of HIM.
  2. If we win it’s because I (the healer or tank) carried the entire game in my back and dps have nothing to do with this victory!

I want to make something clear. Very clear. I play dps the last season all the time, and to be honest I don’t care if I win or if I lose a game, I just don’t have fun anymore if I’m not premade. I know a lot of people here are going to tell me “stop playin’ dps then”. We all know that this is not solving my problem…

Thank u :slight_smile:

Yup, know how that feels.
Now my SR is so low on DPS it only shows as <500. Pretty decent with Ashe and Soldier however i get lucky if there isn’t a smurf or a thrower in my game.

First of all, DPS is basically the only role that the OW team actually cares about pleasing, so whenever you’re complaining it’s like a rich person demanding more caviar on their luxury cruises.

If you’re getting called out by your team in every match, it’s probably because you’re the problem.

if you play hanzo and you have 3k dmg and their bastion is dead ALL the time, it’s better than having a shiny gold 13k dmg and their bastion is on a pirate ship reaping your temmates apart

If I’m playing Bastion and the enemy Hanzo keeps diving me with storm arrows then I’m definitely going to win. Of course I’m never going to let you anywhere near me in the first place, it’s not like Hanzo is invisible or hard to shoot. Hanzo doesn’t counter Bastion, try Junkrat instead. You can shoot over and around obstacles and easily hit a stationary target, forcing the Bastion to move or die without ever exposing yourself or using a cooldown.

I don’t care if we don’t have shield

You don’t need a shield to win, and if you’re solo queuing you need to choose a hero based on what the tanks are doing, not scream at them to swap.

if a soldier maybe needs some help to counter the enemy pharah-mercy, if he can’t stay alive it is HIS problem

If you can’t take the duel as Soldier then swap to something else. It is NOT the job of healers and tanks to serve you easy kills on a silver platter. If your health bar is full and the objective is secure then they’re doing their jobs.

I don’t care if this soldier has 27/10min elims in his profile.

Well you don’t, you have 22. Not that that’s bad, but stats don’t prove that you’re good at the game. You could have 50 elims per match and never win, because what matters is capturing the objective.

If he can’t kill the pharah at MY game we lost cause of HIM.

If you’re contributing nothing by repeatedly failing to duel the Pharah (and probably screaming at your teammates the whole time) then you aren’t helping. If you don’t SWAP when you can’t take the duel, you’re the reason you’re losing.

I don’t care if I win or if I lose a gam

Sure you don’t, that’s why you made a post whining about it.

I know a lot of people here are going to tell me “stop playin’ dps then”.

I’m going to tell you to stop blaming everyone else when you’ve made no effort to improve your situation. Even if every team you match with is deliberately throwing that doesn’t explain why you’re unwilling to swap, or why you’re talking about stats, or why you’re supposedly being “blamed for every loss”.

3 Likes

none of what you have said can be called constructive. You broke down his post and then basically called him out on every mistake. You haven’t given him any way of improving.
Do you target the posts that complain about Overwatch nowadays because you did the exact same thing to my post.
Not everyone is a little kid on here, there are genuinely adults who have a tough time with this game, that doesn’t mean we can’t try and get better.
People come on here to ask for advice and suggestions, not to be lectured.

1 Like

You haven’t given him any way of improving.

That’s because his biggest obstacle is himself.

Do you target the posts that complain about Overwatch nowadays because you did the exact same thing to my post.

Yes, I went out of my way to “target” you and definitely didn’t just scroll through the new list and find two similar posts.

Not everyone is a little kid on here

That is true, some are merely acting like it.

there are genuinely adults who have a tough time with this game

I know that, but when your problem is “I can’t help flaming my team” there isn’t much anyone can do but tell you to stop.

From the beggining, Damage heroes were the one expected to carry the fight out. And as tanks and heals got more valuable troughout the years, Damage not so much, stayed the same. And you have to know that Damage heroes are not the only counter for other heroes right? If you are working on genji, maybe your tanks/healers will take care of that pharah or etc. Play what you think you are good at and what you think it’s fun. If you know you are doing good, then keep doing it. If you feel the need to switch to a “counter” go for it. It’s the way of improving. Allthough try thinking this way : You play Mcree to counter the pharah. But you’r healers are constantly getting killed from flanking genji or tracer. Maybe you are not pealing for them. AND ETC EXAMPLES… please consider that,

Strongly dissagree with your negative stance. You made some ok points, but some so NOT SMART that it’s funny.

It’s very hard to be positive about someone who is making their team miserable.

Is it? I wouldn’t say they are making their team miserable. They aren’t throwing after all. They are trying the only and the best way they know how to.

They’re not intentionally throwing, however their actions do negatively affect the team’s chance of victory.

You see that in every game.

1 Like

DPS is the star role and this is the consequence of that.

You get what you asked for.