Better to just remove DPS at this point - Blizzard does not know how to balance

If you can remove a whole class and still win a game with that class without breaking a sweat then something is completely an utterly broken. We do not need new heroes, what we need is balancing.

I’m talking about the DPS class. In open queue if you’re picking DPS, 9/10 you lose the game. Why? Because Tanks are better, bigger and stronger DPS, with defensive items. They can block, heal, punch etc etc much better than probably any of the DPS.

Before anyone goes “Well, then stop playing Open queue and play the balanced version Role Queue” No, Role queue just gives you less tanks that doesn’t mean they’re all of a sudden not broken. You kill the tank = Whole team wipe. That’s an issue. Like a big massive red beeping glaring issue.

In the past I made some posts that honestly showed that I was a peak Gold player. Since then I changed and watched my own playstyle, fixed some issues (some major, some minor) and got to work. Today I’m Plat 3 in about 2 weeks time. I have only touched DPS if a daily mission required me to do so. To all DPS players that one-trick in Open queue, please just go back to role queue go be useless over there. Atleast you’re forced there.

2 Likes

Not happening .most people in ow play as dps .

2 Likes

Oh I know it’s not happening. I know the role will stay, but it’s useless. It’s complete and utterly useless. I have met like maybe 5-6 DPS that were decent enough to be useful, but then again just one tank switch to counter that one DPS and they’re done for.

3 Likes

Well problem is that queue times for dps are high on role queue so most dps queue up for open queue .but i can validate your statement that if in a match the team that has two tanks and one healer atleast mostly wins instead of the team that has4- 5 dps .

1 Like

Well,in my point of view,theres alotsa diffrent roles in dps.OW made alots of tricky dps,you need to learn how to use them to survive the game.

The game is not balanced around open queue.

You kill the tank = Whole team wipe.

Not really, no. Generally it doesn’t matter who you kill. The team who gets the first pick wins the fight, doesn’t matter if it’s a Tank, a DPS or a Support. Statistically, of course. Less so in lower ranks, more so in higher ranks. I vaguely remember an OWL statistic where it was like 90% chance of winning the fight if your team got the first pick. That was back in 6v6, probably higher now in 5v5.

But, even supposing this were true:
The fact that one role is better than another role isn’t a balancing issue in the way you mean it. It’s being balanced by role queue. Role queue is the balance.

You kill the tank=whole team wipeout=i dont have to think,they’re on killer andreline.Get ready your ult like hanzo or dva & blow them all to pieces "XD rofl

I think as others have mentioned the balance issues come from the 5v5 setup now. People who used to play DPS are now switching to tanks and playing them in a more DPS style than they used to.

Tanks used to be less OP as they shared the role between 2 players in 6v6. generally a main tank for block and an off tank for diving/protecting the back line etc. Now that there is only 1 tank that player has to try and do both which means the character has to be either more mobile or have more survivability. Giving the tanks these extra buffs and then a DPS player picking them up gives the game this unbalanced feel.

1 Like

Well, I suppose that was always the case in comp even for 6v6 - but with 5v5 is true even in QP - what’s more, I think the OP was right… a significantly poorer tank, or dead tank results in a wipe more often than not, especially if their tank is a brawler / rein who can close you down.

One consequence of this is the way the cycle repeats, you see a huge Kill/Assist difference in the scores build where the other team is aware of this and focusing their damage. 8/10 games proceed this way. It’s blatant when you watch it back.

The truth of the matter is the game is broken in various ways that reduce its long term appeal, it becomes repetitive, stressful and tedious for the dps and supports which, making up 80% of the players in a match just leads to eventual despair and logging out.

Add that to the loss of variety etc. not least from having two tanks in a 6v6 configuration and the loss of utility from things like dive. The game just becomes a homogenous mess. There’s a reason it’s scoring low in the game rankings right now.

I mean, it’s great that the game gets a lease of life, for the time being and I’m optimistic that eventually common sense will out - to some extent - but for sure the game is “living off its capital” right now.

Sadly I think the new tank character is only going to make things worse.

2 Likes

Exactly this, If I lose a healer, I’m most of the time fine, depending which healer it is. If I lose a DPS it’s just a mild annoyance, but doesn’t really feel they attribute enough to lose a battle. If you have 3 tanks and 2 healers like in Open Queue then you notice that you can remove the whole DPS role and be fine.

Why? Because Tanks do as much or sometimes do MORE damage than their DPS.

I know it is, but it’s the example I’m using that proves my point. If you do Open Queue and can remove a whole role against a team that might do 2 tanks 2 supp and 1 DPS and walk over them as if they do not even excist then yeah, it shows that the game is unbalanced.

As stated above: If I lose a DPS, you can lose, but it’s not always the case. If you lose 1 support a much higher chance to lose, but if you have a good tank with you the team will be fine. If you lose a tank. All the enemy tank has to do, is walk through the DPS because it’s the equivalent to a tickle me elmo and kill the support.

1 Like

I’ve actually played open qp with 4 dps and 1 healer in a team and we beat a team of 2 healers and 3 tanks.
Dps can beat tanks if they are skilled enough and know how to prioritize targets. (Possibly an outlier as far as avarage games go, but it is possible. Also, this happened when bastion and torb were out and none of the enemies played the “weaker” tanks)

Where they random’s or where they friends of yours?

I played solo. My team used no voice chat and barely any pings. We rolled those tanks on a payload attack on circuit royale.

That sounds like a really bronze thing lmao, but tbh If it worked that game then sure, but 9.9/10 it doesn’t work like that lmao.

I know XD
As i said, possibly an outlier, but it just means that it is possible if you know how to prioritize targets.
I’ve sat in so many spawns despairing when no one in my team wants to tank and i’m the only healer, but sometimes there is that weird game where everything goes right.
It might only be less than 10% of all games played with 4 dps, but it is possible (rare though)

Then it’s a bad point. A DPS will kill a Support of equal skill most of the time. Is support unbalanced, now, too?

No, it’s not. It’s a different role.

No because a support heals most if not at all times and a DPS is meant to harm. A tank is to absorb and hold the line when the DPS are supposedly doing their job “harming” the other characters, but in most cases. Dive tanks are much quicker and kill those targets faster.

Tanks are overglorified DPS characters that have a huge health pool with defensive abilities. DPS can be utilized if the players are good, but if you have a half-decent player a tank could and would do more harm to the enemy than with a DPS. I used Open queue for this example, because you CAN replace the whole class/role without having any issues. Which proves my point that either tanks need to become more like tanks and less like they’re the main DPS provider.

1 Like

That’s not the main objective of the tank. The tank is there to create space. Not just to be a punching bag. And to be able to create space he has to be able to dish out significant damage.

Yes, 5 tanks are better than 5 DPS. That is exactly why role queue exists. To balance the game. Role queue eliminates this issue. It is only an issue in open queue. A game mode the game is not balanced around.

Another “Remove this” topic.
Come on Blizzard would you please consider just having the characters with duel roles?

Oof and there goes your entire argument.

A team of 5 players using the Training-area bot “heros” can beat 3 tanks and 2 healer, if those 5 players are “sufficient better to be able to do that”.