Blizzard help! What is this error applying update

I play on console PS4 and I can’t play because it says error applying update unknown error HF-5 and I literally can’t play or join any kind of game please help
The game itself is ok It launches fine but can’t join anything because of this error and it keeps bringing me back to the starting page

1 Like

This has been happening to me as well. I play on PC. This happens on any game mode - even the training arena. I’ve tried deleting the blizzard app working files or something (suggested on the website) and even reinstalling the game. Nothing has worked. I submitted a tech support ticket to Blizzard last week and haven’t heard back.

Does anybody know anything about this??? The game is literally unplayable at the moment.

HOPE THIS HELPS

PS4
Ok Turn off the PS4 completely
At device off press the hold the power button. Release after 2 beeps, then press again and hold for 7 seconds
When the PS4 boots into Safe Mode
Connect the DualShock4 via USB cable the press the PS button.
Select the tab Rebuild Database, dont select anything else
Wait for completion then restart the PS4
This should help with any potential corrupted data, You may need to sign back in a few times for it to sync up.

PC
Open Battle.net
Click the cog icon of the game you are trying to repair.
below the title of the game and chose Scan and Repair.
Click Begin Scan, this will take a while.
When repair is finnished Exit the battlenet entirely or to be sure restart the PC and it should be good to update.

If none of this works it may be a cache issue, therefore please
try the following
Clearing Cache (PC)

2 Likes

Hey man, thank you for the help! I tried both the scan/repair and clearing the cache, but, unfortunately, neither worked. When I try to enter a game it still enters the voice chat and all but jumps to “applying update” for a time before saying there was an “unknown error HF-1” and logging me out of the game. Is there anything else I could try?

Unfortunately the support that we can provide for the Console version of Overwatch is relatively limited, however errors coming up there tend to be related to connection trouble. If you’re using WiFi, try a wired connection, and if you still have trouble reach out to Sony’s support team here

Regarding the HF-1 error on PC specifically, we have an entry on our Support Site which generally takes care of that. You can find it over here: https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/256854

If the issue persists after that, please open a ticket here and it’ll be looked into further for you

1 Like

This fixed it! thank you so much for your help