Cannot select playback device

I can no longer select audio playback device because only “default” is available. When hovering ‘voice chat devices’, input and output device is listed as unkown. I’ve had this problem before too and it has solved itself after update, but now it has appeared again. Overwatch is only application this happens. Every other application including battle.net lists the headset available.

I’m using USB headset (HyperX Cloud Revolver S). I have total of two output devices, headset (usb) and speakers (digital out). Headset is selected as default communication device and speakers are default device.

I have tried all the basic stuff (changing usb port, updating headset firmware, updating display drivers, etc.) but only way to get audio from Overwatch to headset is to change my default audio device.

This is very annoying. Many times this issue had prevented me from playing or playing without sound.

Game version: 1.28.0.1 - 50951
NVIDIA driver version: 411.63 (updated from 399.24)
Settings: https://i.imgur.com/YduTRhr.png
DxDiag: dxdiag - Pastebin.com

Windows 10 Pro
Geforce 1070 Ti x 2 (SLI)
Intel i5-2500k
16 GB of RAM

Same issue here. The only recent change I have made is updating NVIDIA driver from 399.24 to 416.34.

All my sound outputs are recognized within Windows and function as they should. Just trying to use headphones plugged in to the front headphone jack. This feature works with other games that have the option to change sound output devices.

Windows 10 Education Edition (x64)
Geforce 970
Intel i5 - 6600k
8GB RAM

same here. reinstalled and no joy. worked one minute then not the next.

Can you try the following and let me know if it changes anything.

1. Right click the Speaker on task bar
  2. Select sound settings
  3. Scroll to the bottom
  4. Click App volume and device preferences
  5. Scroll to the bottom
  6. Press reset.
1 Like

Hey Schwayjeck, i tried what you told me. But it did not help, do you have more solutions for this problem?

Same issue here! Been waiting to see a fix, I’ve tried so many “solutions”.

Hello,

There are cases where software like Voicemeter or similar are blocking the device. Try the following:

1. Open Sound settings in Windows (Control Panel -> Harware & Sound -> Sound or right-click the speaker icon and select Sound)
  2. Set your headset as “Default” at “Recording” and “Playback” Devices.
  3. Disable any Devices with “VB” from “Recording” and “Playback”
  4. Accept change with “OK”
  5. Restart Overwatch and check if the right device is set in the game.

For anyone who at least wants a temp fix for being able to use two audio devices at once there is a work around but not a fix. Go to Settings (little cog wheel), System, Sound, Advanced Sound Options (app volume device preferences), and choose the correct input/output there. The annoyance here is that you’ll need to do that each time you launch OW until they find some kind of fix for this.

And I know this isn’t my post, but no that’s not the issue here for most.

Shouldn’t have to set it as machine default when you’ve been using it to allow your family to watch a film as you play through the main speakers/big monitor while you play OW on the smaller one with the headphones for years now. The game has a feature to allow you to choose input/output.

I don’t have a mic be it through headphones, standalone or any other means. No recording software installed after OW that’s not either native to windows or whatever a game allows and discord (which shows and works with every output i own so i can listen to my guild.) I’ve also checked permissions for what programs get to use audio equipment on the system.

I’ve done tech support in my time and now do Forensic Computing and Cyber Security so i’m no simpleton when it comes to understanding the scope of how a machine works in depth. I’ve literally analysed Windows 10 and most of the software I use in depth, I know it’s not a software/hardware issue. I’ve not done so for OW though.

Thing is it’s happened a few times and with OW updates started working and then broken again with others. FYI.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Just default playback device listed…

Yeah this didn’t work, it shows my other devices I can use but when I select headphones or anything other than default it forces back to default after a few seconds. It probably wont be fixed fast either so I guess since I cant hear I wont play. Time to delete.

4 Likes

I can see other devices other than default. However, when I select any of them, it doesn’t save and reverts back to default. Please fix asap

1 Like

I can see other devices to select playback but the option is never saved and reverts back to default. Extremely annoying when I’m trying to balance chat and game audio and I can’t choose the playback for my game.

1 Like