Confused about Overwatch 2 Battlepass?

There’s been a lot of different opinions on the forum about how the OW2 Battlepass is going to play out, and this video breaks it down nicely, explaining how much is costs, how long it will take if we try to grind it out for free with in-game challenges, etc.

It appears that even if someone is a dedicated player who plays a lot, like myself, OW2 Battlepass will still cost around $30 every year if we want new hero access immediately.

Stylosa explains that even without BP, if we complete all the challenges per season, it still won’t give players enough coins to buy Battlepass in that season and I’m guessing that’s definitely intentional, to persuade people to buy the BP. I mean why even bother doing the challenges if it won’t give us enough coins for to buy BP that season right?

Personally I’m not against giving Blizzard my money for an amazing sequel, after all OW2 will be a free game and they need to make some money as devs, but $30 every year? I don’t know. I don’t want this to turn in to some kind of WOW subscription thing.

Thoughts?

I don´t need to watch someone video to do math.
If you want to get the good stuff you will pay $10, that´s it, no hidden message, the free game pass only gives 2 EPIC skins, while paying the battle pass is that 2 skins and an additional epic skin, 5 LEGENDARY skins and the new mythic, plus, 3 emotes, 6 poses, while the free battle pass has 0 emotes and poses .

By math only you will probably be able to get enough coins for a battle pass around 4 months , and of course that doesn´t mean you will like what the skins of the season are, maybe you prefer to use the coins in a bundle of your main hero, since you can’t pick the skins, to me that’s the real issue, we are going to pay/farm for skins we probably won´t use unless is in our main heroes.

So if you want to get nice stuff you will need to pay 10 bucks every 6 weeks roughly, or maybe next battle pass you don’t like the skins or don’t play the heroes of those skins and skip de bp, we will not know until we see it.

I think most of us are more concerned with new hero access, not just skins.

Me for example, I only play competitive, and have 2000 unopened lootboxes so I don’t really care about the skins and stuff but I want to have access to new heroes on day 1 of release, meaning it’ll be an annual $30 for BP according to Sty or a lot of grinding.

Blizzard told everyone at the content creator even the other week that 80% of players don’t play any more than 2 heroes and don’t swap.

I don’t think a wait to have access to a hero is going to make a blind bit of difference.

Mercy OTP are still going to Mercy OTP.

A ranked lobby with not a complete set of options as everyone else gets is pretty short sighted of them. Competitive should be level playing field, but maybe they’re just going down the revenue generation rather that building a fully fledged competitive game that the gaming community wants.

Hopefully they’ll make the BP worth it in someway or other. If the queue times are just as long/if not longer, hopefully we get a premium pass to get through into the games quicker for instance lol

1 Like

Greetings friend @The18thFret, I don’t want to get me wrong on this, but turn around, nothing u can’t get without money, if we follow some honest side, Overwatch 1, u bought the game, but all skins ,spreys,voice lines, you could get very fast and for free, by playing events, weekly challenges and so on. Overwatch 2 is in front of us, game is at least free no required money to try it, from what I seen it’s just amazing overall. Beside this I will admit you, Blizzard Activision has a name that was built in the past 30 years.

there most probably will be something like that like on most games xd (especially mobile)

Howdy friend :blush: well, I’m a regular player so grinding isn’t an issue at all, but if you check out the video I posted above, Sty explains that even if we complete all of the in game challenges for an entire season, we will still only be left with HALF the tokens needed to buy battlepass. Correct me if I’m wrong but that means that if I want to have access to new heroes on day1 of their release, I have to buy the battlepass which will be $30/year, and this won’t be a one time payment either, it’s $30 every year. Unless I understood the video wrong.

This explains it all better than I’ve seen.

1 Like

On very beginning is talking about, why champions access is not to evryone, just like in Overwatch 1, well Overwatch 1 u had to purchase 40euros if I correct remember and u grant access to everything, Overwatch 2 is free to play game that gives you opportunity trough a game to earn rewards that u can buy with real money which I as see perfect idea. I personally do not believe on source if is not in this case YouTube Chanell: ‘‘PlayOverwatch’’,this guy from Chanell ‘‘Your Overwatch’’ might indeed love in the past Overwatch, but now i can hear only complain & criticism, I also know, today in 2022 having YouTube Chanell with 100k+ Subs is a pure business.