Constant DCs: Blizzard can't afford proper server and networking šŸ¤”

Green is not Blizzard. Thatā€™s a forum MVP who doesnā€™t work for Blizzard.

3 Likes

But they effectively rent them, ergo they own the right to control those servers, and they can decide what kind of protection those servers have, so no excuses here.

It wasnā€™t some sophisticated attack, it was a simple DDoS attack.
Even simple web servers have effective protection these days so no excuse to lack protection. Since they give 200mil to Kotick and underpay workers then It doesnā€™t surprise me that the servers they use are basic crap without proper protection.

3 Likes

Literally the last mvp post says its probably done and also ā€œForum MVPs donā€™t officially speak for Blizzardā€ so still no info

1 Like

Thatā€™s not how renting servers works.

They just host data their and have the rights to remove that data. They have no control of the general running and maintenance of said servers.

It is only 8am in LAā€¦ people might not even be at work to communicate. No idea what their working hours are.

Most companies like this usually have people that work on such issues. Plus there are servers in EU as well and blizzardcseu_en on twitter is from eu. therefore there should be info from someone seeing since its 5 pm cest rn

3 Likes

a major company like this could demand server protection js

2 Likes

It seems like they donā€™t have anyone on it PR wise.
The moment they were aware of the attack they should issue a platform wide warning and disable competitive games which is what other clearly more competent developers did in the past.

Blizzard is just pretending nothing happened while people lose time dealing with all the in-game issues, and most people donā€™t even know why it happens, so frustration takes over.

Thatā€™s exactly how it works cupcake. Even if you rent the server for yourself you have access to various protections offers. Itā€™s literally the basic part of the server package, and DDoS protection is one of the basic options in that package.

I had DDoS protection as basic option on my Battlefield 4 server, lol

3 Likes

there is literally no excuse for the lack of info from all of blizzard. Blizzard is international and yet no info from anything from them

4 Likes

Exactly, they have offices all over the world, and no1 could post one update. To think that critical info was posted by a random guy on a forum is just pathetic.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not excusing them. I agree it isnā€™t good enough.

But there will be reasons for it, and getting mad on the EU forums isnā€™t going to do you any favours.

They donā€™t even look at them for a start.

If you have technical issues, itā€™s always best to just stick to the NA forum

I mean you have been excusing them because there are literally no good reasons for their lack of info.

1 Like

No need to cry over it.

Itā€™s happened now, itā€™ll be resolved at some point.

Play a different game in the mean time.

My group have been having races on iRacing instead.

Remember Wolfenstein, Enemy Territory? You could hire your own servers with protection (Punkbuster)

1 Like

Your whole presence here was based on making excuses for them, so donā€™t pretend you donā€™t defend them.

3 Likes

I work in IT and with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud and this is likely correct. Like any large scale operation Blizzard probably has a network operation center (NOC) where they monitor every single bit of performance in their infrastructure, 24/7.

3 Likes

Lol.

Iā€™m not excusing the people at fault. The attackers are scum.

Iā€™ve also said their communication is lacking.

Not sure who Iā€™ve defendedā€¦

when we said no info you said there was but there wasnt any info from blizz at all. when we said that they should have protection you said its not their fault when they could easily have even basic ddos protection. you are defending both the lack of info and the lack of server protection

2 Likes

Honestly, there seem to be a misunderstanding under the general public that there is only one type of DDos attack but this simply isnā€™t true. There are many types of DDos attacks and they could be crafted specifically to attack Blizzardā€™s specific services. Thatā€™s why your ā€œbasic DDosā€ protection doesnā€™t work in all cases.

And tbh, Iā€™m a 100% convinced that they have DDos mitigations in place that cost them a lot of money (think of hundreds of thousands of dollar per year) but unfortunately you just canā€™t block all attacks and/or some attacks take time and manual labor to mitigate.

2 Likes

Luckily no dc on Middle East servers and I have been playing the game all day today in competitive .