Game crashes solved but voice chat bugs

Hello,

Was having an issue since some months now when I was playing Overwatch and only Overwatch. My PC just froze randomly in games (seems qp/comp had no influence on it). It was at least once per day (in 4 games, I was 100% sure it would happen). I tried every damn solution Blizzard is proposing on the Troubleshoot thread, and some other things not related to Overwatch.

Symptoms:

• Sound loop
  • Screen frozen
  • No keyboard/mouse (even Xbox360 controller) interaction
  • Reliability history (from Windows) showing an unexpected shutdown, nothing else.
  • Only while playing Overwatch (or right after a session on it, happened once).
  • No thermal issue
  • Ran memory checks / benchmarks for hours without a single crash
  • Uninstall/install Overwatch and Battlenet and even Windows 10

And finally I tried something a guy posted in these forums (I can’t find it anymore) and so I’m posting this again, since it is not in Blizzard Troubleshoot section.

What I did: (The labels may differ since I’m not running Windows in English)

1. Type in Search bar (bottom left) : Sound, and then Enter
  • Do this both for input/output audio device (I did just for those I use, but you can also try on all of those if you’re not sure)
  1. Right click on the peripheral, go to Properties
  2. Go to Advanced Statistics tab
  3. Uncheck : Authorize applications to take exclusive control of the device
  4. You may **reboot// the system

It seems to be a sound controller related issue between Overwatch and Windows. After that, I did not get a single crash since. I hope it’s going to help someone.

But now, I’m experiencing an in-game voice chat bug. At almost the same frequency than before (expect it at 100% in 4 games) the voice chat is still turned up but it shows me that I’m alone in it (showing 1 people in it, while people are in and me too, as I was told several times in text chat) but I’m no longer able to speak nor hear them.
Leaving/joining back doesn’t do the trick. Only a game restart seems to fix the problem, I guess it’s related to the first point I made, but, of course, no way to be sure.

I’m already happy that I can play again (after loosing so many SR because of this, Master to Plat, just to give an idea), but if I could find a fix for the second point, it would even be better.

Hoping that helps,
Leath.

1 Like

Hello Leath,

Let’s try something that can help with this specific issue.

• Close the game and the Blizzard Battle.net app completely.
  • Right click on the speaker icon in your system tray
  • Left click on Playback devices
  • Double click your headset model to enter Properties
  • In the Advanced tab, select a format such as the 44100Hz and click Apply
  • Mirror the configuration in Recording devices
  • Open Overwatch and try again

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!