Game freezing, crashing and not loading correctly. Error on "msmpeg2vdec dll" (I7 940 mx windows 10) (fixed)

So I’ve been trying to contact you guys through an ticket for the past week and when I do it the ticket doesn’t send and this shows up: “Something went wrong on our end.” So I decided to try sending it through the foruns instead… hope you guys don’t mind

So here’s the ticket I was trying to send:
"I apologize for the long text, but my problem is complex, and it makes me unable to play Overwatch

Basically (I’ll detail more bellow), the game is not loading properly and crashing randomly, and that apparently has the do with the “msmpeg2vdec dll” file.

Before we begin, some important observations:
-My game was working perfectly until day 21 of december, this year (2018). Before the problem started happening, I hap recently run the “adwcleaner” antivirus and downloaded some files online. So it’s possible that the antivirus accidently messed up with the dll file (unlikely, because it’s protected by windows through TrustedInstaller and you can’t even change it’s name), or that I caught an virus (I did try to run multiple antiviruses (adwcleaner and McAfee) after the problem started showing up and nothing changed, but it’s still possible it’s an virus.) or some update (from battle net, Overwatch or Windows) acidently messed up my files.
-This problem seems to only apply to Overwatch. I can run other battle net game (Hearthstone) without any bugs, other fps games (CS:GO and Paladins) without any problems and the other games in my pc are fine. (osu! and Wakfu)
-Thus far, I’ve tried running the “scan & repair” option on battle net, I tried reinstalling the game (twice, actually), run antivureses and nothing worked. I tried reinstalling the dll file but I don’t know how to exactly and I’m not even sure if the problem is even in that file. Now let’s get started:

First problem: msmpeg2vdec dll
Ok so when I open Battle net, the following warning message appears (translated from portuguese to english):
“Battle net exe - Invalid Image
C:\Windows\System32\msmpeg2vdec dll was not designed to be executed on Windows or has an error. Try reinstalling the program utilizing the original download data’s support or contact the system’s adminitrator or the software’s provider to obtain support. Error’s state 0xc000012f.
[Ok]”
(sorry if anything doesn’t make sense, I honestly have no idea what some of these things mean, even in portuguese. The message in itself was supper confusing. Sorry again.)

When I click ok, the message disappears and only shows up again after 30 minutes - 1 hour (as long as battle net is open), sometimes doesn’t even show up anymore or takes way more than an hour. I think it’s random.
What’s interesting is that this shows up in battle net, but the problem only applies to Overwatch, and doesn’t seem to apply to the other Blizzard game I have in my PC (Hearthstone.)

When I open Overwatch, the same message appears, except this one says “Overwatch.exe” instead of “Battle net exe” and with this one, when I press ok, the message almost instantly appears again.

So while the message in itself isn’t an problem, it may hint to why the bigger problems are happening: the dll file. I tried reinstalling the file, but I really don’t trust the dll files that you can download online and I can’t do anything to the file anyway because it’s protected by “TrustedInstaller”. So, if I try to give myself permission to mess with the file, it still says that I need permission from… myself… to do it… So I’m unable to reinstall it. If you want to know, the “msmpeg2vdec dll” file is in my system32 folder and it weights 2,35 mb. It says it was last modified day 20 of december this year at 14:15, which is weird since I’m pretty sure the problem started showing up at day 21… but I could be wrong.

Second problem: incomplete landing.
So when I open the game, it is found in an “not completely loaded” state. The background is black, the models don’t appear, etc… Also, if I try to join an custom game, the game freezes in an black screen. So what is actually happening is that, the game ALWAYS is in this state for a FEW SECONDS after I open it, but this is taking way longer to fully load. I only managed to have the game open (without crashing) for long enough to the game to load twice. It takes about 20-30 minutes for it to load, but I’m not sure the exact time, it seems random. The times I got it to load it worked perfectly, I even managed to join an match in one and opened an lootbox in another, but the game eventually crashed. Now, for the biggest problem…

Third problem: random freezing/crashing.

So what happens is that, after an random amount of time, the game completely freezes and stops working, and the only way to close it is through task manager. The time it takes is random: sometimes it’s almost instantly after I open, sometimes it takes an few minutes, and there was two times it took 40 or 50 minutes, but it eventually crashed."

So I’d link some important stuff through my dropbox, but I can’t include links… I recorded an .gif showing the problem but I can’t send it. I also would include my msinfo and dxdiag… Anyways, (idk why you’d want to know but) my computer is Acer’s aspire 5 (A515-51G-72DB) but with an different HD because the original burnet half an year ago. I use Windows 10.

That’s all I got! Thanks in advance! Have an great night and an happy new year.

PS: I know that the forum isn’t supposed to replace the normal tickets, but I can’t use them and I’m tired of waiting for the bug to be fixed… sorry!

PS 2: I used spaces instead of dots in some parts because I can’t send links and it was recognizing “battle net” as an link

PS 3: I’m brazillian, but I’m writing in english, sorry about this, I know there’s an portuguese forum but I already wrote the whole text in english so… Sorry haha"

1 Like

In case of further problems, make also DxDiag raport. Paste the results on pastebin.com and provide a link.

Heya,

Please do go through the steps suggested by Donjuono and let us know how you get on. If that does not help out, provide your diagnostics as suggested by Raxr.

Post your System Files so we can have a closer look into this. Please go through the steps listed here, and create both the MSInfo and DxDiag files. Post them on a page like Pastebin.com or share directly with us through OneDrive. Post the links here afterwards as Preformatted text, so we can have a look.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Hey, thanks for the answers!

ScanDisk didn’t find any problems.

System file checker said that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix them. I checked the files and turns out that the corrupt file that wasn’t fixed is indeed “msmpeg2vdec.dll”, and some other files. You guys can read that part of the log here: https://pastebin.com/V5JWWz4S

I runned defrag, but…

Even after running all of them, the problem is still happening.

Anyway, if you want to check the .dll file out, you can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnlovcbrrytdilx/msmpeg2vdec.dll?dl=0text

My DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/332wkRBF
(for some reason most of the Diagnostics are in portuguese, sorry haha)

My MSInfo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27vh4j59u9y18ub/MSInfo.txt?dl=0
(also has some parts in portuguese for some reason)

The report shows that both graphics cards have drivers from 2017. Start by installing the latest Intel HD Graphics 620 and Nvidia 940MX. Remove old drivers with the DDU

In addition, error reports related to the Audiod.exe and ravbg64.exe files appear in the report. Try to download new audio drivers, remove old ones and install new ones.

I’ve also seen a few odd cases where that was caused by a security software itself. :confused:

@Wasd

In additional to what Raxr and DonJuono already mentioned, could you please try disabling/uninstalling (temporarily) your security software? I see you have several McAfee processes running.
As a note, I recommend running a full antivirus/anti-malware scan prior to uninstalling a security software.

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

Hello, thanks for the help. I will try those out soon but right now I’m having internet problems and I can’t download anything… Sorry!

I’ll try those out in about 3 days… Then I say what changed/if it worked.

Sorry again.

No worries at all, Wasd! Take your time and should you require further assistance…well, you know where to find us!

Note: should there be any changes in the error message, please note them down and add a link to fresh MSInfo amd DxDiag files.

Good luck!

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

Ok, so… I managed to install the nvidia driver, but I didn’t manage to install the intel hd graphics. So in the link Raxr sent me, the only download available was an pdf. There’s an part in the site that says " If you have read this and would like to download the driver for install, please go here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28435/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers)** ." I downloaded from there and after I opened it said that it wouldn’t be able to run in this computer… So I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. Also, am I supposed to run the DDU after or befor installing new drivers?

Also Donjuono’s post was withdraw, was that him or was it me accidently?

In fact the link which I provided is wrong. Here you will find the driver.

Use DDU before installing new drivers

The entry was withdrawn by the author himself

Hey, so I finally reinstalled the drivers. The problem’s still happening.

Ok so, I runned an full virus scan with McAfee, also runned ccleaner and adwcleaner just in case and found 2 viruses that I deleted, but the problem is still happening. So I uninstalled McAfee (and ccleaner just in case, Windows defender thing is also turned off), and runned system file checker again. Still no results… (I’d originally do what DonJuono said but he deleted it.)

Also uh, something happened to our friend right here

Hey guys, I just reinstalled windows and it fixed the problem. Thanks for the help anyways.