Matchmaking with language preferences

Would it be possible to match players by language preference?

I imagine that the EU server tries to pair up players from regions nearby, the issue is that Europe has such a diversity of languages that it ends up being a huge barrier when someone wants to use voice comms.

For example: the country closest to me is Spain, and while I can sort-of-kinda-maybe understand Spanish, the Spanish-speakers I’ve encountered find my language (Portuguese) very difficult to understand and often do not speak English either. (Not a complaint, just a real life example.)

So somewhere in options we could insert the language(s) we prefer: I’d put in Portuguese and English, and have more likelihood of being placed in games with people who speak either Portuguese and/or English.

I understand matchmaking is hard already, so it wouldn’t be a ‘hard option’ (as in, it wouldn’t be a ‘everyone must speak these languages to be matched together’). It’d be more of an ‘increase the likelihood of’ thing.

There’s LFG, however it’s hard for me to join groups even when people bother to look them up or create one, because oftentimes gameplay levels will differ a lot from mine. I’m bronze, and let’s face it, no one wants to play with one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I agree with the premise of language preference… unfortunately it’s just not feasible without increasing queue times even more…

For you personally at bronze voice chat will do very little to increase your experience as teamwork is very low at that elo…

I would suggest on focusing on your own play and learning to “read your teamates”

I dont use voice chat because of toxicity reasons so instead I do my best to “silently synergise” with my team… not the best strategy but it works most of the time

1 Like

I agree that teamwork/coordination is rare, which is why I see a huge difference when at least one person warns us when there’s a flanker, when they’re about to use their ult, etc. Of course this means nothing if it’s just 2 people in voice chat and/or they don’t understand each other. (On a good day four people will be in voice chat at max.)

I also get a lot of French players (they’re probably the most intense lol) who might be great at shotcalling, but if I can barely understand what they’re saying, there’s not a lot I can do. : (

Thankfully the most toxicity I’ve heard in Bronze is people calling each other noobs (pot calling the kettle black). I get what you mean about silently synergising, though. I try to do the same.

Thank you for your input. :slight_smile: