Overwatch Matchmaking

I have a question. On the scale from 1 to 10, how small should be a brain of person who created overwatch MM algorithm if it allows to match party of people from gold/plat against player literally from GM with 4200 sr?

And if the answer to the question about brain size is more than 1 we would have a serious problems with understanding each other.

That can only happen in QP.

And if they are in a group.

The MMR averages of the 2 teams will still be fairly similar.

Match maker works fine enough.

Would you like to guess outcome of this game and how balanced it was? That was so far away from “fairly similar” as it is possible)
We even reported that guy with cheating reason, cause he scores headshots all the time and told him he is reported. And he said - “just watch my profile” and we did. And his is just 4200 sr.

The result is irrelevant.

Stomps happen. Even the best players get rolled from time to time.

So you reported someone for “cheating” because he was good… That is just pathetic.

You were playing quick play. You can group with anyone you like. And luckily, the match result doesn’t mean anything.

What do you mean “match result doesn’t mean anything”? The purpose of fair matchmaking is to collect people and provide them with 50% chance to win the game.

Ignore him, he’s dumb.

The match making was roughly “fair”.

Both teams would of had a roughly similar average MMR, thus giving a roughly 50/50 chance of winning.

If your 6 was about the same MMR, and they have 1 playing much higher… it will mean they also have 1 playing much lower too to balance it out.

Sadly though, because everyone can group together in QP, this isn’t perfect. You might get a team with an MMR for 2700 playing against a team with an average of 2950. But that is still a pretty decent chance for either side to pop off. Getting slapped about by a player that is just simply better than you can feel rough. But you will have done it to people too.

And 1 sided games are almost never to do with the match maker. More to do with how people play together. Even the pros sometimes just don’t click and get steam rolled. Look for London Spitfire v Washington Justice, Dorado in 2020… London held Washington in spawn for 4 minutes (they only pushed the cart 4 meters), and then completed their attack in 15 seconds. Washington had, arguably, the better players that day. But still got smashed.

As for the match result not meaning anything. It was a quick play match. What would you have earned in victory, or lost in defeat. Nothing. That isn’t what quick play is about.

Helpful.

Why not just give the guy some actual insight rather than being a toxic troll.

You mean like you always do? :man_shrugging: Nightwing / Ballache, however you go by.

Clearly this Ballache has said he is Nightwing and that account got banned.

But why listen to the only information on the subject when you can make up your own fantasies about it I guess.

I have no reason not to believe.

This Nightwing was annoying. If this Ballache wants to claim to be them… something not many others would want to do. Then you have to assume it is probably because that is the case.

You trying to insult people doesn’t make you right. Just makes you look sad.

Ok special guy, whatever you say.

My point proven right there.

the record was a player on the enemy team in Open with an SR of 600-ish who also had 3.7k on all three on Role Queue.

1 Like

That is called a “Thrower” mate.

It can feel like you’re getting matched with people in a wide range of ranks, especially in QP. I think what we might be looking at recently is a matchmaker working with a smaller pool of players (overall) than it was originally intended to work with. I’ve seen silvers pitted vs golds/plats (for example) in QP and the difference is night and day.

It doesn’t help that Overwatch is a very ‘snowball-y’ kind of game, where if one side gains momentum before the other it increases their chances of a win. This is made worse when people start leaving/throwing/tilting in games that aren’t going their way.

One way this might be solved is if they tightened the matchmaking perameters, but that would result in much longer queues (and still no guarantee of certain percentage of wins/losses for individuals). Some might feel this would be worth the pay off for a ‘fairer’ match, but it likely isn’t worth the hassle when a mode with stricter matchmaking already exists.

Finally, with the recent sale of OW we’re seeing an influx of brand new (and alt) accounts. The matchmaker clearly hasn’t decided where to put most of them yet. So, there’s a good chance at the moment of seeing people with godlike aim/gamesense vs a team of potatoes and vice versa.

On a personal level: I feel your frustration. There is nothing fun about getting hemmed into spawn by a group nigh-unkillable opponents. It is deeply annoying and robs the game of it’s lustre if it happens in every other match.

QP is not balanced at all, it just picks people as quickly as possible and secondary looks for closeness in mmr, to get a true balanced game in QP is almost impossible due to how it picks people up which is why i kinda liked it a bit because it ment i had to face people who were better than me by a quite a large margin that i could learn from.

as for true matchmaking in ranked where it goes out of it’s way to find games that are as balanced as it can make there can be some mishaps due to lack of players in a certain range that it basically throws them into games they don’t belong in, but that tends to happen far less often to be even considered a problem, those tend to happen when there isn’t enough players playing at certain time of day usually, if it happens at all.

1 Like

QP is “against players of your skill level”

1 Like

Quick Play is one of the Play Modes . This mode offers a more casual experience as opposed to Competitive Play, and as such has less strict rules in both scoring and matchmaking.

Okay, that’s just a stupid question. So, you’re right, we are going to have a problem understanding each other.