Random freeze / FPS drop

Hello,

Since 4 months ago, i started to get some fps problems.
I usually play with the FPS limit off so i usually get 250-300 fps without issues
but every like 2-3 minutes i get dropped to like 1-5 fps for 1 or 2 seconds.
I didnt have that issue a year ago.

What i tried so far without any changes to my issue :
-I tried to limit the fps limit to something smaller like 150
-tried the repairing tool for the game
-reinstalling the game, multiple times, on different hdd and sdd
-play with different settings, even set to the minimum possible (v-sync bullsh*t included)
-tried to play with everything closed off except overwatch
-remove all the OC from my hardware and set it back to factory settings

Any more suggestions is very welcome since i’m slowly starting to get desesperate, it doesnt seem much but getting a constant screen freeze is quite annoying. I would like to precise that this issue doesnt happen in any other game, be it offline or online and i didn’t have that issue before.

some relevant PC spec :
-i7-6700k @ 4.0 GHz ( OC @ 4.6 GHz usually)
-gtx 1080, original speed
-16GB RAM @ 3200MHz
-msi Maximus VIII hero

Thanks for any help !

Hello, thanks for the fast reply.

No, i never BSOD and the game never crashed on me and no other game have a similar behavior. Overwatch is the only one with that issue which baffle me.

I have some errors in Even Viewer, but doesnt seems to be anything critical or related to stuff that I use daily.

And yeah, i thought it was my OC too but i disabled everything related to that and still the same problem.

I may try to close applications with the method you linked but i don’t have that much stuff running in the background anyway, usually it’s just steam, discord and firefox and the necessary background process.

https://pastebin.com/SCG2iQZF

This is the dxdiag file
the MSInfo file is apparently 8k Kb so pastebin refuse it. If the file is still needed feel free to suggest an alternative since I don’t know any good website to share a txt file easily.

So, in order :
-Selective startup : no changes
-tried to delete the drivers that i wasnt using/unnecessary, and reinstalled what drivers i could. Some drivers, were either not working at all or is a bit too complicated to install ( like bios update) : no changes
-tried once again the selective startup with only battle.net and the game launched : no changes

https://pastebin.com/2JHznkGg

the MSInfo file is 8k = 8’000, so way more than 512 kB, sorry if it was confusing.
I disabled all the audio devices i don’t use, Rift no included since I use it almost daily.

Not working in the sense that when i try to install them i just get an error telling me that i don’t have the minimum required hardware.

The BIOS update is already more complicated for the average consumer at this point, which is kinda ridiculous to even consider doing for the simple fact that it is just a simple game. That issue started to appear around 5-6 months ago after some OW updates, that issue wasn’t there a year ago and i could play with everything set to Ultra with 200+ fps consistantly.
i can do that BIOS update but I really want to avoid this as much as possible.

I already removed all type of OC on my PC, every setting is set to factory default.
Redid the test with even more stuff disabled, including the Rift drivers and still the same issue.

Thanks for your help so far.
I may seem rude but that really isn’t my attention, I do really appreciate the fact that you take time to help me.
I’m fairly certain that the issue is with OW itself from what I stated before, so having to bullsh*t on my PC to fix something like that is really frustrating.
Thanks again.

@Svelsien

What drivers you are referring to? If you’re referring to your GTX 1080, what versions gave you that error?

If your MSInfo file is too big you probably have a lot of Windows errors in it. That’s the very last category of the file, [Windows Error Reporting]. Please go to it on your txt file and try deleting everything after the first 20-30 lines, save your file and repeat the upload. As an alternative, you can cut that part completely and upload it to Pastebin separately.

Note: if the MSInfo file you have was created before you performed a selective startup, please repeat the procedure, check if the issue persists and eventually create a new file.

I also checked the steps you mentioned in your first post - could you please follow the ones in this support article as well (the ones you’re missing)?

Thank you!

I’m afraid our customer support team won’t be able to fix a game code either, DonJuono! All bugs should be reported here.
This said though, the issue definitely points toward a problem within the system, rather than a game bug. :confused:

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

I strongly disagree that it’s because of the system. I have the same issue on 2 different builds. Great performance, but sometimes the FPS just drops suddenly and the game freezes for 1 second.

1 Like