Rendering device has been lost

There is a new nvidia graphics driver so i am going to do a clean install, i also made a support ticket and i was told that NZXT Cam and shadowplay or something to do with an overlay, so i am going to quit them when playing overwatch and see how it goes.

I have this same issue with my reference 2080. Never had it with my 1070 in the same system.

1 Like

Same issue here. Got a 2080 fe.
But kind of same issue occurs in shadow of the tomb raider.
It might be driver related.
Or ram gets too hot by bad vdd power design.

1 Like

When it comes to new hardware or software I always recommend buying only the 2nd or 3rd revisions and avoiding unnecessary upgrades when the old stuff is enough and works well.

same problem here got a 2080ti did someone found a fix?

1 Like

I was having this problem on my RTX 2080Ti Founder’s edition and after a number of chats with blizzard tech support, they tokd me this is a TDR issue, which means the error is thrown by windows because the GPU stopped responding for a fraction of a second. they advised me to contact Nvidia.

I contacted Nvidia. They asked me to do the following and contact them if the issue still persists. here is what they’ve asked me to do :

Open NVIDIA control Panel (Right click on desktop and click on NVIDIA control panel) > Go to Manage 3D settings, under 3D Settings > select Program Settings > Select app/game from the dropdown menu > if it is not listed in the dropdown menu then click Add then select the respective .exe to the list (I was having problems with my Overwatch, so I selected Overwatch from the list) > And now change these settings from Option 2.

• Power management mode - prefer maximum performance
  • Tripple buffering - Off
  • Threaded optimization - ON
  • vertical Sync - off

Apply these settings, refresh the Desktop several times, start the game play and check the performance

I have played for an hour after making these changes and have not had a problem since. Will post an update if I encounter the problem again.

Hope this helps anyone facing similar issue.

18 Likes

Hi guys,

i know it sounds stupid, but check your CPU temps, not the GPU ones. I had this problem too, but peventing the CPU to go into turbo mode, fixed it completely for me. You can do that with throttlestop or simply by going to the engery options and set your max CPU at 99%.

I tried everything and this finally fixed it (played many months - hundrets of hours - since then, never had the issue again)

1 Like

Same problem here. I bought a rtx 2070 and started getting this error only in overwatch. I did all the troubleshooting blizzard suggested with no luck. They went on to say that it was a nvidia problem. I returned my rtx 2070 and bought a 2080ti. Got the same error on the rtx2080ti today.

1 Like

Since i got a 2080 the rendering device lost error also came back for me :confused:
Problematic part is that is a highly random error you can plays for hours without problems and just when your really enjoying it hangs

i had simular errors on my 980ti, but it never occured on my 1070ti
and i am not an AMD user, i use intel procecor and nvidia cards

same for my Zotac gaming 2080ti … with 1200w aliom new pc … still *** me up point on competitive…

Do you (or anyone) use discord by any chance?
If so, disable the overlays from discord.

I know its mentioned at some other threads, i just wanted to share my solution.

(i run i7-7700k oc to 4.9ghz, paired with a gtx 1070ti strix (so oc from asus)

I also use shadow play (with overlays)
And i have razer synapse installed (but never updated, i close it always after the pc started)
(never had problems with avast)

These are all stuff blizzard wants to Uninstall, i understand it from a debug pov. This is just my experience, i want to share.

HI. Everything work fine until new windows update are coming.
MSInfo + dxdiag
https:// gist. github. com /ice2heart/5f2340866f785f09fa22eb72dea417de
It’s reproduced each game.
Week ago it was OK.

This worked for me. I’ve been playing for 2 hours without a crash. Thank you!

Upgraded my 1080 to a 2080 and started getting render device lost as well, now i’ve been banned from competetive for over a week as punishment. get your stuff together blizz…

6 Likes

If you got here you should demand a refund of Overwatch as quick as possible.
Nothing that support suggests will fix the game once you start getting “render device lost”, It’s due to hardware incompatibility from Overwatch side and the ghostchase support sends you on is to throw you off and make you believe it’s your hardware that is faulty, when it actually is the game.

I’ve gotten several replies from Blizzard support in regards to this problem after I upgraded my computer with new graphics card, they don’t care that we pay 60 eur for a game that doesn’t work and they laugh us in the face when we get banned from competitive play due to problems we have NO CONTROLL OVER.

You do NOT need to uninstall your mouse or game pad drivers (Razer), if you have to, demand a full refund. The product is defective

1 Like

I’ve had multiple issues with them yes, and they usually suggest to uninstall the Razer drivers for your mouse as a solution. I clean installed the pc and provided them with logs on multiple occasions without any solution from them

And yeah. good luck on the refund, Support is ofcourse not even admitting the problem but trying to blame your perhipal drivers so there is nothing faulty with the product :wink:

Also donjuno, you have 2 years from purchase of date no matter what blizzard says, unless they want to violate eu trade law ofc

DonJuono

Please do not write if you do not know what you are talking about.

Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumer’s best interest.

If goods you bought anywhere [in the EU](https:// europa . eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm#abbr-ID0E1) turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund .

As a general rule, you will only be able to ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods.

Overwatch, The goods is broken, and they cannot repair (patch it)

You can do a simple google to find this out or simply go to
https:// europa . eu /youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

1 Like

DonJuono

If you bought Overwatch with creditcard and Blizzard refuses to refund you can send in a cashback request to your credit card issuer and refer to the information given above. In most contries, by law. they must refund you. it’s then Blizzards problem to deal with their payment issuer they use ( usually DIBS or some other big brand payment processor )

I’m informing others about their legal rights to get a refund of a faulty product even though Blizz might claim other.

That it’s used does not matter. Blizzard policy simply doesn’t stand over law :slight_smile:

and it’s not fraud but within your legal right if the vendor cannot fix the product and refuses to refund you

Of course OV should be removed from the users account in such a case, i’m not arguing against that.

I’ve owned it since release, my 2 years are over. just recently started playing the game

Also, if you got here and have gotten banned because of Render device lost. Support won’t fix it:

Your ticket has received the following response:

Hey there, Roffe.

Game Master Stilggost here. While we would be happy to assist in troubleshooting any issues you’ve been experiencing with Overwatch, our support staff is not able to view competitive suspensions, and so we cannot answer this type of question.